1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 Playthru -How to Conquer the World by being Poor, Upset and Massively Outgunned

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by lemmy101, Sep 21, 2010.

1. moopoo

moopoo Chieftain

what are you talking about aussie, it comes out tomorrow! I'll be heading down to EB in rundle mall to pick up my pre-order :D

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I think that's a good comparison too. Definitely a fun read. I probably would have backed up a nuke with at least one land unit, however.

3. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

Wu Zetian tries to save herself the bother of embarking her units by demanding everything I owns bar my capital city....

Sadly she credits the Babylonian leader with far too much foresight and levelheadedness.

4. Toffey

Toffey Chieftain

Nuke Bismark. Remember, he called you puny.

5. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

6. Temaperacl

Temaperacl Chieftain

I concur - this thread and playthrough is great. It convinced me to purchase now instead of waiting. (Glad I did, too - Sticker and posted price of $49.96. Register had it as $29.96.).

7. ashmizen

ashmizen Chieftain

So she wiped the floor with Napolean and the Aztecs, both of which at one point had double your score, in what seemingly was a small number of turns.

Now she just taunts you, while you both build up past the nuclear age?

You know, I'm starting to suspect the Developers never expected anyone losing so badly to KEEP PLAYING, and they never bothered to code the complex AI needed to mount a naval invasion. I mean, she's had triple your score for a thousand years now, no one else left to attack but you for 100 years, and yet she still hasn't bothered to invade you with anything other than snippy remarks.

8. moopoo

moopoo Chieftain

i've seen in several other threads full-blown naval invasions, i think she might not have been expecting nukes

9. Chidge

Chidge Chieftain

No-one expects the Babylonian Nuke-acquisition...

Sorry, that was bad

10. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

11. Korias

Korias Chieftain

No, the AI can most definitely invade over the sea. Naval Invasion is easier this time around: There's no "loading" of units into ships. They automatically become ships (albeit easily destroyed ships) upon moving into ocean tiles.

There are a couple of reasons why she hasn't bothered:
    • She has no location for her army to go to. Basically, she doesnt know where he is.
    • She's suffering from some sort of internal issues, such as occupied city unhappiness that's forcing her attention elsewhere. She may have the units, but she doesnt want to start sending them over and accruing more costs.
    • Finally, she may simply be busy rebuilding from that nuke. That can take a while, and she may be busy constructing her own force or upgrading outdated units.

12. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

Ah apparently they need 10 votes to win, and EVERY one of the city states abstained. No diplomacy victory getting in the way of what's coming next.

13. Korias

Korias Chieftain

Or that. She probably just built the UN.

Which means that she's going to win by Diplo. After feinting with the Domination Victory.

That is clever. :eek:

Edit: Or not. Wonder why they abstained? Are any of them actually allied with her/someone else?

14. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

I should mention that all the City States banded together and formed an alliance to take her out, since she'd been bullying them about a fair bit.

It was clearly a resounding success judging from all the remaining city states in her empire.

Now she's done with them I'm sure she'll be embarking herself silly.

15. SkunkDoctor

SkunkDoctor 1 turn at a time.

If a state votes for her, nuke them. That'll learn em.

16. Chidge

Chidge Chieftain

The city states can do that? The more I hear about this game, the more ravenous I become to get my grubby little hands on it.

Epic thread is Epic.

17. Threedog43

Threedog43 Chieftain

I agree, the city states sound absolutely heavenly!

18. NobleJms

NobleJms Chieftain

Hey man this thread is one of the greatest I've read in a long time. Nice job!!

Whoever decided to move this to the "Tales & Stories" section should be taken out and shot. :)

Did you also turn off the scientific victory? Because if yes then China should've won already from all that population.

19. lemmy101

lemmy101 Chieftain

Haha wow. It's just occured to me (though it was suggested earlier) She totally doesn't know where I live.

I've just been thinking about it and she's never sent any ships this way, not once! Clearly being land locked from the start of the game it wasn't her priority, with all the enemies on her own land mass. This is awesome. In response to ashmizen, the fact that she doesn't have an instant cheaty knowledge of the entire world map like Civ 4 is a definite plus in my eyes.

She's probably building ships to look for where I am. I'm sure she's not aware that this is Earth and therefore making assumptions based on that.

20. zerotwo

zerotwo Chieftain

concurrent to this delightful thread:

In the five or six games I have attempted since release I have noted two things that are also evident here:

1. Wu Zetian is extremely powerful and aggressive, I think it has something to do with the massive boost from the Paper Factory.
    2. The AI cannot mount a sea invasion to save it's life, whatever the form.

I had a game as Tokugawa (Nobunaga) end poorly, and just for sport I sat on a small continent with two fairly well developed cities just to see how long or how the AI would handle having to float half-way around the world to finish me off. I covered the edges of the small landmass with Crossbowmen and Cannons and waited.

They sent ships alone or in pairs, which I blew up alone or in pairs for about 50 turns until I got bored and left. The game was only set to Warlord, but I have had Warlord-difficulty attacks mounted by superior powers using layered assaults backed up by ranged and artillery with cavalry flanking... Warlord AI can clearly handle a regular ground fight.

Fun thread, Lemmy!