Civ Add-on/Expansion Pack Ideas

I'd love to see a cold war type of gameplay later in the game..

for example, your strongest rival is Russia, whom has 2 minor neighbors, and has attacked one of them..Lets say you dont want to go to war with Russia right away, due to a trade agreement or can't enter a long conflict, it would be amazing if you could provide the defending minor power some military units, money, tech as a way to even the sides, but at the same time not getting into direct conflict..

Many games I've played wishing I could be able to do something like that.

Advanced precision bombing. Investigate a city in that turn and perform a precision bombing on the specific target that you wish, similar to "sabotage production" for Civilization II spies.

Originally posted by Antex
Making city improvements obsolete :
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=17854

The buildings in question can not disappear, replaced maybe? If the Romans were still around they would have all of the great structures built by them. At least that is how I see it. Since you keep your civ alive structures constructed throughout your reign should not disappear. Peace. :crazyeyes

Desert Fox :p

Originally posted by Desert Fox

The buildings in question can not disappear, replaced maybe? If the Romans were still around they would have all of the great structures built by them. At least that is how I see it. Since you keep your civ alive structures constructed throughout your reign should not disappear. Peace. :crazyeyes

Imagine a colloseum: it slowly looses the happy-making ability, but stays round as a cultural place , a strong one since it is old.... but now you can buil a stadium (say from Motorized Transport on) that makes people happy.

Originally posted by Killer

Imagine a colloseum: it slowly looses the happy-making ability, but stays round as a cultural place , a strong one since it is old.... but now you can buil a stadium (say from Motorized Transport on) that makes people happy.

You make a good point I did not think of that. If that could be done that would be more realistic to say the least. It would add even more depth to the game, giving some added things to build up for late game playing. :goodjob: I agree with you on this point, what ever that is worth. :lol: Peace......

Since the editor has such a wide array of rule changes that can be edited it would be nice if we had an option that prints all current rules to a text file.
This would help mod makers determine quickly what to change or what is wrong with the changes. I would think this would be a very easy option to include. Not to mention how much time this would save everyone involved in making mods/scenarios. This would be an excellent addition for this (soon to be) "excellent" editor. I am hoping this will be something you will consider for expansion or future patch (hint). :scan: :)

How can we reach 2050 without having orbital units. We have a satellite tech, but no satellites. CTP had the Globesat (I think) wonder that gave world wide observation to its builder. In SMAC you could see the entire planet after building an orbital unit. I think this should be a small wonder, or preferably result from a city inprovement (since we need more improvements in the industrial/modern ages anyway). It shouldn't be restricted to one Civ as most advanced nations today hace satellites.

Originally posted by Carver
How can we reach 2050 without having orbital units. We have a satellite tech, but no satellites. CTP had the Globesat (I think) wonder that gave world wide observation to its builder. In SMAC you could see the entire planet after building an orbital unit. I think this should be a small wonder, or preferably result from a city inprovement (since we need more improvements in the industrial/modern ages anyway). It shouldn't be restricted to one Civ as most advanced nations today hace satellites.

I am with you 100% I forgot about noticing this one myself. It should make the entire world viewable just like our CIA, NSA, with orbiting sat. do today. :goodjob:

Originally posted by Desert Fox

You make a good point I did not think of that. If that could be done that would be more realistic to say the least. It would add even more depth to the game, giving some added things to build up for late game playing. :goodjob: I agree with you on this point, what ever that is worth. :lol: Peace......

peace ;) :lol:

i had an idea for the game on religion .... rather than it be just a people pacifier i think it should be a actual part of the game ... and rather than having cristiananity or islam religion should just be civ specific .... like roman religion and aztec religion and so on

it would work much like culture does execpt it "infects" your peoples citizens (not a bad thing .... but i cant think of a better word) and grows much like culture but only with religious structures .... and your different religions could impart a particular stat to your peoples .... which u would choise after your religion acheived a particular "score"

ie ... u start your game and build a few temples .... after your religion score has built up to 100 u get to choise a stat for your religion .... and after u get a score of 1000 u get to add another stat to your religion and so on

so an advanced religion would start to roll over the enemy citys if u have nurtured it BUT .... that might be a good thing for your enemy as his citizens would also get the benifit of this stat ....

as a civilization u could abandon your own religion and take up someone elses if it was strong then all your temples and cathedrals would start to add to the other religion making it much more powerful, and also the citizens of a religion would hate to goto war with people from the same religion

ie ... the babolonian religion has grown very strong and the roman religion is weak, so the romans decide to abandon there religion and take up the babolonian religion ... so if the babolonians decide to goto war with the romans then the babolonians would get a war wearyness type effect immeadiatly under any government (perhaps to a lesser degree under some governments)

also any military unit would be able to purge a selected religion either by killing poputaltion off (fast) or by persecution (slow)

the different types of stats could be something like increased food production, incrased production, incrased trade bonus, increased happyness, more tolerent of war wearyness ..... stuff like that ...

i think this would add a HUGE extra leval to the game and be fun to play also

Military units in a cultural strong civ's borders should change nationality into that of the culturally strong civ. Soldiers do sometimes abandon their own side when they find the other side stronger. Units at higher ranks should do this less often due to loyalty built up by the longer service in the army. If you do not understand, this is somewhat like culture assimilation of cities.

Originally posted by Quentin
Military units in a cultural strong civ's borders should change nationality into that of the culturally strong civ. Soldiers do sometimes abandon their own side when they find the other side stronger. Units at higher ranks should do this less often due to loyalty built up by the longer service in the army. If you do not understand, this is somewhat like culture assimilation of cities.

a very good idea, but defection would further weaken the weak. As long as world Conquest is the surest and easiest way to win this would just further unbalance the game.....

A trading market for all civs

It would have been great to have an "International market". Where you could announce that you, for instance, have coal, units or whatever to sell. The other civs should be able to bid on the items that you are selling during an x number of turns.

Example:
Turn1: Civ A are offering a package of 5 submarines
Turn2: Civ B offers 1000gold
Turn4: Civ C offers 25gold/turn and iron
Turn5: Closed, and Civ A may accept or decline any deal.

The player should recive some kind of notice when new items (or bids) are available on the market. A small flashing button at the beginning of the turn perhaps.

+ You dont have to start diplomacy every time you want to sell your iron (it´s a pain when you have to check all 15civs for the best bid)

+ Economy and trading gets even more important

+ it´s fun and flexible

- The last civ in the turn cycle may place or improve his offer in order to offer the best deal without giving the others the chance to respond.

Also, everything should be managed from one single screen

The option to trade during diplomacy should remaín in the game, but with the ability to trade weapons.

top idea basta72 ... but i would sugest why would there be a turn limit to your trade deal? ... why not u put your iron on the market for 10 gold per turn .... and anyone that is interested can contact u and make a counter offer .... then u could have trade wars with other civs with the same resorce ... lets just say that u have 4 units of iron ... and someone else has 3 units ... u put your iron on the market for 10 gold per turn ... so he puts it on the market for 9 gold per turn .... so u put yourn on for 8 ... and so on ... or not of corse ..... but also if u were to only one with iron to trade ... or u have 6 sorces of it and others only have 2 u will have a monopoly and can charge whatever they will pay .... or u could make deals with other civs to fix the price of a resorce ... muhahahahha ... like the opec countries do ......... or perhaps u could just put it on the market without a price and leave that complicated aspect out

and of corse civs should be able to offer teck rather than gold .. or whatever ... same goes with tecks ... u could offer nationalism for such and such a price .... so everyone can see u are willing to trade whatever for a price

love the military unit idea .... would make the weaker civs so much stronger as u could help them so much more directly ... so i dont see ANY ballance issue here ... exept that it would ballance the game much better (another feature that was in AC but was left out of civ3) ... and on a side note ... would be cool if military units had a nationality ... i think that would be a cool feature

Many people havew complained that railroad movement is to fast. In real life the problem is not the speed but the amount of traffic one can put on a line. This was the problem for the germans in WW2 not the speed of movement but the numbers of troops. I suggest therefore that railways should still have unlimited movement but should only be able to take a limited number of units each turn e.g. 2 or 3.

it has been 5 months since civ3's release, and i think we could use MP...the x-pack really needs MP and some good scenario editing...as long as patches fix the smaller stuff, these two things will satisfy me...

I'd like to see:

-Borders no longer influenced by "culture" by the late industrial age.

International Law

-After a war in which you and your allies were involved, you should get the ability to hold a council with them and decide how to redraw the map. That is, division of spoils of war amongst the victors.

-Occupation of areas of enemy lands after a successfull war to make sure that they don't rebuild their armies. Example: Allied troops stationed in Japan after WWII. The building of the "UN Wonder" could allow you to send arms inspectors (kind of like spies).

-The building of the UN wonder acts as a planetary council in which member countries may vote on several things:

-Pollution
-Weapons of mass destruction
-International Law
-Spoils of war
-etc...

Alot like in SMAC. Of course, the Nation who build the UN, has a permanent seat and can veto. Countries must at first "Join" the UN inorder to have a seat.

-Have the ability to make "dependant" states. That is, make the infrastructure of another country dependant almost completely on you. This would allow for the economic expansion of your state. The only benefits to the dependant state are of course immediate.

Free Markets and Planned Economics

-Instead of Just having government-system selection, we should also have economic-system selection. For example: inorder to have America's system of governement, we choose republic, and then on another pop-up window we choose free-market or capitalism. For USSR type communism, we could choose totalitarianism and Planned economics.

The system of economics affects commerce of course. A nation with free-markets gets alot of commerce, but supposing you have complete liberalism, you loose much of the control over the markets. A nation with planned economics doesn't make as much ca$h, but has control over commerce.

Top Bottom