Civ BE freezes after green arrow

cbhamblen

Chieftain
Hello, I have some issues and wondering if I am stuck waiting for Nividia to fix its drivers patches or needing a new card to run CIV BE. Civ V works fine in the past.

I Just got the game and freezes on load up. I Go to click on the green arrow and nothing happens. I Updated nividia drivers, dirctx to 11, and everything that needed to be updated in windows. Also ran reverify under steam and says all is good. I also tried a few tricks that I have read on forums and nothing working yet. I have heard about the Nividia 310 not working on this last patch update.

Any help would be great. here is my info

http://pastebin.com/JA7HQEuz

You can wait for a patch/fix from Nvidia or Firaxis, but to be honest I don't have much faith that they will resolve this issue as the problem is only with cards that do not support DirectX11 functionality, either partially or totally. They have the fallback of saying that requirements printed on the box say DirectX11 only with no hint at DirectX10 capability. One thing I've noticed a lot of people don't realise is that DirectX11 is not just an upgrade from DirectX10, it is a new software to deal with new technology, therefore a lot of cards do not support it, even if you have it installed (you're just wasting disk space).

Your best bet is most likely just to go out and get a new video card, even a cheap DirectX11 card will be better than the majority of cards limited to DirectX10 so you're better off upgrading now if you don't want to wait for an update which may not/probably won't come.

Edit: I was in this boat and received very little help from Take2 and Firaxis, even so far as identifying what the problem was, with a lot of work and research I systematically eliminated possible causes until I discovered, much to my annoyance that my card was not after all DX11 compatible, being an extechnician come Master Barista I tried all sorts of things and ended up only being able to play the game by rolling back to the previous version. Needless to say I wanted the fixes so the game ran a little better so a couple of days later I bought a new video card and I tell you not only does BE run, all my other newer games look better, including GTA;IV, ROME 2, and CIV:V among others. It's just easier and more enjoyable to upgrade. :)

Needless to say I wanted the fixes so the game ran a little better so a couple of days later I bought a new video card and I tell you not only does BE run, all my other newer games look better, including GTA;IV, ROME 2, and CIV:V among others. It's just easier and more enjoyable to upgrade. :)

I was just wondering what video card you bought? I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I might need to do the same myself so am looking for some ideas.

Cheers!

I was just wondering what video card you bought? I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that I might need to do the same myself so am looking for some ideas.

Cheers!

I got an Nvidia Geforce GTX750, doing a bit of looking around at comparisons this one seemed to perform better and more stable than others in it's price range. Normally costs around $140AUD from discount suppliers but you can get them cheaper, in my case I got 50% off coz I've shopped at the one place for 15 years. ;)

Thanks Rayki. I'm so disappointed I can't play the game right now (it was an Xmas present), the problem being my PC is getting a little old now. Looks like I am far from alone with this sort of issue, though!

I will look into a graphics card upgrade. Thanks for your helpful recommendation, it's a minefield out there.

The fix for me that caused the crash after the green arrow is turning off 3d in the NVidia control panel.

Top Bottom