Civ idea

Mylon

Amateur Game Designer
I was thinking of a hive-mind like civilization. The main concept is that all units built get a bonus based on the amount of total EXP earned (as in, for great generals and such), but this could extend other areas as well. The idea, in concept, is that the whole civilization levels up and improves rather than individual things. The concept seems appealing, but I cannot think of any mechanics other than the military aspect of it.

On a side note, this makes me wonder if surviving attacks from summoned creatures awards EXP towards the great general counter.

this concept is already in parts integrated with barnaxus but nonetheless a nice idea.

this concept is already in parts integrated with barnaxus but nonetheless a nice idea.

My understanding of Barnaxus is that if he dies, the bonus is lost, so once he hits a certain level... And the individual golems don't earn exp for him. Anyway, I was also thinking that this civilization could earn other bonuses. Like under certain conditions all of their cities might get a civ-wide bonus to research, or culture, or wealth, and this bonus would be fluid (anywhere from +1% to +100%). Overall a flexible civilization that can develop the strengths they need to. Like maybe for every 1000 base hammers produced they get a 1% bonus to all hammers produced (note this is base, does not count bonuses from forges and whatnot).

I really like the concept, I think the civ could be worked out to be really unique and fun.

One idea could be a queen like unit that if killed, has a negative impact on the rest of the units somehow.

I really like the concept, I think the civ could be worked out to be really unique and fun.

One idea could be a queen like unit that if killed, has a negative impact on the rest of the units somehow.

Maybe gives promotion "Confused" which makes units have a certain percentage to go a form of 'enraged' promotion except that it would give -1 attack and defense instead of +1? Also it would be cool if they can assimilate members of other civs into their own

Maybe gives promotion "Confused" which makes units have a certain percentage to go a form of 'enraged' promotion except that it would give -1 attack and defense instead of +1? Also it would be cool if they can assimilate members of other civs into their own

The real design goal is to create a kind of micromanage-less civilization that has plenty of potential to build up. Like, say, repeatable projects that boost the productivity of all cities rather than individual buildings.

The real design goal is to create a kind of micromanage-less civilization that has plenty of potential to build up. Like, say, repeatable projects that boost the productivity of all cities rather than individual buildings.

interesting. I think it would be cool if the civ layout was like a hive as well. Meaning... cities can only be built within 2 tiles of each other. And only having a city radius of one. That would make a real tight close in civ that could still get good production, commerce, and food with the repeatable projects.

the projects must be repetable but their cost increasing every time its build otherwise it would breake the game after a few times....

the projects must be repetable but their cost increasing every time its build otherwise it would breake the game after a few times....

Plus if it only works for existing cities... the oldest ones get the most benefit. That way you don't build a city and its maxed out from the start.

Entirely possible. I'm not sure about only existing cities getting the benefit, though. That's what can make them scary, is that they plop down a new city and have all of the benefits of the rest of their civ except the population.

so what kind of units are you thinking about for this civ? what Kind of abilities, bonuses ect?

The civ would use enchantment, mind, and body mana. The civ would be organized, possibly industrious, possibly adaptive, but would suffer a -75% GPP hit. Individuality does exist, but much of it is used for the greater whole. Culture is still normal because again, individuality exists, they can be swayed and can sway others. Alignment is neutral.

For unique units... I'm not too sure yet. Could be a warrior replacement which can be used to rush projects (much like the dwarven priests). They might even get a telepathic unit, which gets a bonus based on the enemy's level (say +10% strength bonus per enemy level). That is, the smarter their enemy is, the better tactics and counter tactics it uses itself. The best way to combat it might be to rush it in a mindless charge, except that it can still employ tactics itself. I figure this would be a national unit. Unique units aren't too important because all units from this civ get a strength boost based on how much total XP earned, kinda like how great generals work, but instead all units built benefit. This replaces the need for training yards, shipyards, etc.

Unique buildings include towering obelisks which are manned by powerful mind mages which can direct people to specific purposes. Some might be geared towards making people happy, others towards reading the thoughts of traders and catering to their needs (controlling their thoughts wouldn't bring them back), and similar ones. All other buildings are replaced by projects, which benefit the civilization as a whole when built.

The core theme of the civilization is perfection of the mind and of the body and society. When people reach a certain age, they are infused with a "package" of collected thoughts and experiences and knowledge, so they can learn from other past experiences. The "doctors" also rely a lot on body mana, so people tend to be at the peak of their health for a good long while. Most unhealthiness comes not from physical defect, but city sprawl/environment. The projects built by this civilization are designed to improve this package so people can use the most well known tactics available.

Religion and this civ are a bit at odds. The dieties scoff at the concept of pefection, as the goal is to make the people almost as dieties themselves. However, the individuals may still worship and the leaders may even lead them onward in matters of faith, even if the leaders themselves do not subscribe to the beliefs.

The core theme of the civilization is perfection of the mind and of the body and society. When people reach a certain age, they are infused with a "package" of collected thoughts and experiences and knowledge, so they can learn from other past experiences. The "doctors" also rely a lot on body mana, so people tend to be at the peak of their health for a good long while. Most unhealthiness comes not from physical defect, but city sprawl/environment. The projects built by this civilization are designed to improve this package so people can use the most well known tactics available.

Religion and this civ are a bit at odds. The dieties scoff at the concept of pefection, as the goal is to make the people almost as dieties themselves. However, the individuals may still worship and the leaders may even lead them onward in matters of faith, even if the leaders themselves do not subscribe to the beliefs.

Seems like you have several different ideas floating around that are kind of contradictory. In Japan (a collectivist culture) they have a saying, "the nail that sticks up gets hammered down." If you are really trying to make a civ that is like "one mind" I do not see the place for individualism at all. especially if you are giving this civ many abilities to plop down a city and have it up and going right away, and units with the same xp as other units. Just stopping GPP doesn't seem enough to balance something that has the potential to become really strong really fast. It seems like it would be a closed civ that it shouldnt spread culture at all. I liked the Hive mentality idea much more than a complex system of people trying to reach perfection.

Keep in mind that culture is a variety of things, including a way of life. The very structured society is that. Being influenced by another civ might disrupt that and encourage people to break free. Otherwise, people might see how "happy" the other civ is and convert.

Also, indviduality does exist in the colletive society of Japan: Each person is still allowed to think and act indepedently, even if they're discouraged from standing out. Much would be the same in this civ. Though an alternate leader might exist in which most everyone is a mindless drone and everything is done similarly, but with more direction.

Top Bottom