Civ III Diplomacy Editor

First off, thanks for this great app. I can't imagine the pain it would be to add dialogue without this.

Second, could you add the ability to delete a civ and have all the others reorder in the diplomacy.txt file? I deleted America because I don't think that civ is a good fit fort the game. Now Japan has picked up Abe's dialogue, and everyone after that is like-wise fubar.

Thanks,

rd

I nearly finished my new scenario for ptw, I just need to fix the diplomatic status (war, peace,...). Does anybody know how to do it?:confused:

Originally posted by RagnarD
First off, thanks for this great app. I can't imagine the pain it would be to add dialogue without this.

Second, could you add the ability to delete a civ and have all the others reorder in the diplomacy.txt file? I deleted America because I don't think that civ is a good fit fort the game. Now Japan has picked up Abe's dialogue, and everyone after that is like-wise fubar.

Thanks,

rd

I have created a function for importing text from an external diplomacy.txt file. I could see a way to use this to replace the texts so that they match up when you remove a civ.
I am perfecting this import feature and it will be ready hopefully soon.

While I'm asking for free dev, how about a custom civ names file, so that those of us who have added and deleted civs can match up the names? And a spam-free hotmail account? And a box of free money?

Originally posted by RagnarD
While I'm asking for free dev, how about a custom civ names file, so that those of us who have added and deleted civs can match up the names? And a spam-free hotmail account? And a box of free money?

How about if I put it in the Options dialog that you could change the civ names (add/remove/edit etc)

As for the spam-free hotmail and box of free money, look elsewhere. ;-)

How about if I put it in the Options dialog that you could change the civ names (add/remove/edit etc)

That would be perfect!

And the money? Are you sure about the no-go? :)

rd

Originally posted by pesoloco
I am glad there is so much support for this utility, especially since it is my first utility for civ III.

I am thinking of making a few minor changes (adding more features actually). We'll see how it works out.

You deserve it. :)
Know what would be good? If ppl sent in their changes, so we're not stuck reading our own new quirky replies/comebacks. Like the ones in your sample image above are funnier to me cuz it's no fun telling yourself a joke, you know?

cya!

Hey pesoloco. im a new civ3 "file manipulator" so bare with me. I tried to run the dip editor and i got the message run-time error 76 "Path not found".Do you know what this could possibly mean?I am up to date with all software(XP/Civ3 ptw/Java...ect)
I look forward to your response...

ok. it sounds like the program cannot find the civ path.
you need to tell it when it first runs.
it's supposed to let you change it if it cant find it. maybe i didnt post that version yet.
are you unable to start the program?
please PM me the specifics

I will have a new version of this ready soon. Been working on adding new features and fixing little annoyances (like the path thing)

well,i actually DID get it to run the first time.I didnt know what i was doing,so i closed it out.I realized that it was reading the diplomacy file from the original civ3 program folder(which is out of date by far-i have 31 civs).So,I removed it from that folder,and tried to reinstall it into my ptw folder.then i ran it and the error occured.i tried to restore the files back into their original folder.i tried it again in that folder,and got the same message.it kind of gets a little messed up from there(setting up and unsetting up actions)but essentially it seems like what you say makes sense.I was rushing in the beginning (post-regret)and tried to change the path in the options (i think that what it was).then i wanted to exit the program.it asked me if i wanted to save the changes,and i said no.Then i went to the diplomacy.txt file to check what it was reading and realized i wanted to change the path. From there it failed to run.Let me know when you finish up the new program.Zulu showed me where to get a generic dip.txt file from this website,so for the time being,i can work on my scenario bugs,and come back to that later.(hows that for info???)

apselom, i think the new version will fix your trouble.

VERSION 3.66 NOW AVAILABLE

i changed the first post so that it links to the new file.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!this was what i needed,it seems it was looking in a the directory i typed,but didnt
"save",and somehow it saved it to a master file in the system(onlything i can figure,i havent programmed in years!!!).Thank you peso,this will save me several headaches and eyeaches.talk about timing eh?
All I need are a few more animated leaderheads with flics(animated) and my personal scenario-DYP/Teturken/Marla singer (city names),as well as several additions,will be complete!!!TY

!save the opossum!

That diplomacy file is really the biggest hiccup for newbies to overcome when adding civs. It's a shame pesoloco has had to reverse engineer all this... I'll bet'cha there's a tool at Firaxis that does exactly the same thing. :rolleyes:

(And there's no reason "programatically" that the game should need these file changes. If there's no civ-specific text, it should just pick something randomly from one of the others. Oh well, I guess Firaxis had their hands full just fixing the bugs.)

Anyway, I just used it last night to add "generic 17th civ" text to my file, and testing it out today, it seems to work fine!

Of course, there will be "creeping featuritis" for this tool, now that it exists... After all, there could just be a "add generic civ" menu item in the editor, to save someone the trouble of what I did last night. ;) ;) ;)

Great tool, though. :goodjob: I've had to write similar things to fuss with .INI files, and I know that file-splicing is messy stuff.

Have I asked, recently, for the ability to delete Civs from the diplomacy.txt file? This would enable me to remove civs from scenarios without having everyone start speaking each other's lines. It would be realllllllly neato.

Any chance of that happening, pesoloco? Pleeeeeeeeease?

rd

I am still working on a new version of the utility with some major feature enhancements. I like the suggestion of "Add a civ" and "Delete a civ" commands.

The interface is undergoing some big improvements. I only released this new patch version (3.66) to help out those of you who had file not found errors.

I am adding a new interface to use, suggested by zulu9812 (sorry if i got the number wrong)
It allows you to select the message, then choose which civ, mood, power, and random entry you want to change. You can only change that one item at one time.

For example,
You choose AIFIRSTCONTACT as the message
then you choose Babylon, then Happy, then Strong, then entry 1. The program then allows you to edit what is on that corresponding line.
This will be called line-item view.

The original interface will still be able to be used and will be called Tree View or Graphic View (whichever sounds better)

well, i'll post it as soon as it's ready.
:) ;)

That sounds great, pesoloco! I await the new version impatiently, perhaps with a hint of over-anxiousness!

rd

I tried to use this editor to add dialog to my new civ I had added, what I got was the dialog name after everthing. As you can see below, now every civ has the dialogs names.

I am using PTW 1.14f

Now I haven't seen that before.

Did you get the new version of the utility yet? (ver 3.66?)
I think I posted it. If not, it may fix the prob.

The strange thing is there is no reason that it should be outputting the name of the dialog. And if it did, it would put a "#" infront of it.

Do the names appear in the main editor view?

I will take another look at this to see if I cannot determine why this happened. Has this happened to anyone else?

Perhaps the file was not in the correct format to begin with?
Had you made any edits to it before this?

Top Bottom