Civ IV Hall of Fame Update Discussion

Noble Zarkon

Elite Quattromaster - Immortal (BTS)
Super Moderator
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
The Civilization IV Hall of Fame has been updated - 35 games were accepted since the previous update.

Congratulations to @Anysense for the highest score of the update with a Small, Marathon, Deity, Space Colony game for 1,401,448 points.

@NickTrofimuk was the most active player during this update, submitting 15 games.

Only 4 players were brave enough to take on Deity this update:

@Anysense - 535 AD, Small, Marathon, Deity, Cultural game for 569,813 points.
@Anysense - 610 AD, Small, Marathon, Deity, Space Colony game for 1,401,448 points.
@Anysense - 420 AD, Standard, Marathon, Deity, Space Colony game for 1,389,828 points.
@drewisfat - 300 AD, Standard, Normal, Deity, Domination game for 342,280 points.
@Kaitzilla - 1210 AD, Standard, Epic, Deity, Space Colony game for 1,193,827 points.
@NickTrofimuk - 3595 BC, Duel, Marathon, Deity, Conquest game for 13,854 points.
Congratulations to @NickTrofimuk for winning both G-Major 177 (with a date of 1690 AD) and G-Minor 258 (with a date of 275 AD)!

** New Gauntlet Starting **

G-Minor 259 - Domination, Noble, Ancient, Standard, Normal, Inland Sea, Rome (check options)

Last edited:
New Number One Entries:
A number of players gained number one positions:

@Anysense with a 420 AD, Standard, Marathon, Deity, Space Colony game for 1,389,828 points.
@Anysense with a 610 AD, Small, Marathon, Deity, Space Colony game for 1,401,448 points.
@drewisfat with a 300 AD, Standard, Normal, Deity, Domination game for 342,280 points.
@Kaitzilla with a 1210 AD, Standard, Epic, Deity, Space Colony game for 1,193,827 points.

@Conquistador 63 with a 1716 AD, Small, Epic, Immortal, Space Colony game for 223,351 points.
@Conquistador 63 with a 1615 AD, Tiny, Normal, Immortal, Espionage game for 77,831 points.
@NickTrofimuk with a 1690 AD, Large, Quick, Immortal, Domination game for 167,729 points.

@Pious_Pete with a 1858 AD, Small, Quick, Prince, Espionage game for 16,593 points.

@iggymnrr with a 765 AD, Small, Marathon, Chieftain, Space Colony game for 185,028 points.

A number of players gained a composite table High Score (i.e. Any Condition):

@Mad2rix with a 1105 AD, Large, Marathon, Warlord, game for 1,302,536 points.

@Kaitzilla with a 1210 AD, Standard, Epic, Deity, game for 1,193,827 points.

Space is getting popular! Kaitzilla keeps picking easy slots:nono: Not a bad score:thumbsup: And how did you get domination limit down to 68%:confused: It is not Marathon with its infinite time to mess with AI creating countless colonies.

I made the AI create colonies over and over using discoveries made by WastinTime.
Back in the start of 2018, he wrote:

Confirmed and tested. it is 3 cities.
AI creating vassals:

The important number is colonyMaint.
Spoiler :
colonyMaint = numcities on continent * ((numcities on continent-1) * modifier) ^2

If you use all size 1 cities, modifier is simply 0.45 for standard

ColonyMaint is:
2.43 for 3 cities

All you have to do to get the AI to make a colony is have those cities: gold + hammers + science < 3* colonyMaint.

- It's best not to use a FIN civ.
- We should be in cease fire. But I think the rule is just: Don't threaten the cities.

So total gold+hammers+science has to be < 7.29

Tricks: one way to keep under the 7.29 is to blockade the cities with Privateers and/or destroy roads so they don't have any trade rts. Since we won't have privateers, we should try cut roads. We can also block trade to the mainland with our culture if we have closed borders.

#1 trick: Forget all that. Just give them 3 cities in revolt.

An AI needs 3 cities minimum on another continent/island to form a colony.

Using Privateer blockades to block trade routes to get the 3 cities :gold: + :hammers: + :science: to be less than 3 times their Colony Maintenance is too much work!
Giving them 4th or 5th city to exponentially increase Colony Maintenance is also a pain. :sad:

Basically, I conquer an AI down to 1 city, then gift them 3 cities on an island somewhere to encourage a colony to form in the future.
Then I declare war and wait 1 turn. (Make sure not to generate any :culture: in the cities or they won't go into Anarchy for 3 turns once captured)
This technique won't work for Cultural civs like Willem that generate +2:culture: per turn
Next turn, I conquer all 3 empty cities (no city razing means it is ok to do this at Size 1) and all three cities get 3 turns of Anarchy due to having 0:culture: and being Size 1.
Sign a Cease Fire.

Step 2 is to gift all 3 cities in Anarchy to the hapless 1-city AI again.
Since they generate no :gold: :hammers: or :science: while in Anarchy, it meets the 3-city minimum and 0 is certainly less then 3 times the Colony Maintenance.
And since you are not at war this time, the AI with 3 cities in Anarchy on an island will form a Colony guarded by 2 Warriors each hopefully. :)

Keep in mind that the AI will never form a colony if they are at war with someone who has a city on the same landmass as one of their cities.

Step 3 is to eliminate the old 1-city AI and replace it with the new AI colony.
This is to have a helpless fresh AI to form future colonies with that DOESN'T HAVE ANY +DIPLO MODIFIERS or war weariness.
Zero +diplo mods means the new colony AI (unlike their master who started the game on turn 0) won't be nearly as likely to Peace Vassal to a super power after a DOW and ruin your game.
Getting 40 war success is a good way to get most AI to talk Cease Fire in 1 turn, so give the new AI Colony one new city on a remote island somewhere.
DOW the master and wipe them out. Grab all 3 colony cities. The new 1-city AI colony will talk peace so Cease Fire.
The helpless AI living purely on islands will prevent any bigger AI or your vassals from wiping the AI colony generators out. :)

Step 4 is to give 3 cities in Anarchy to the new 1-city AI so they can form a colony.
Once the colony is formed next turn, give 4 more cities to the master to quickly get 40 war success, then DOW and grab the 4 cities for 40 war success.
(Giving that 4th city can be a pain because it has to be within 10 tiles of an AI city on the same landmass before they will take it. Sometimes a large :gold: per turn gift is also required if the AI is in financial trouble and won't take gift cities. It might not be possible if in a STRIKE economy. In that case, the AI will always take a city they previously owned, Might be able to make it work somehow hmm)
The following turn when the master will talk Cease Fire, wipe out his colony and sign a Cease Fire.
Then give 3 cities in Anarchy to the 1-city AI so they can form a colony.

The Dom. Limit only gets pumped to a higher percentage % when an original civ that starts the game gets bumped off the scoreboard, and the scoreboard only holds 17 civs.
On standard size starting with 10 civs, that means 7 colonies created and killed to fill the scoreboard with 17 names.
An 8th colony won't do anything to the Dom. Limit if all original 10 AI are still alive.

There is a great deal of confusion on whether new colonies will push dead colonies off the scoreboard instead of dead civs that started the game. :hmm:
WastinTime mentioned the problem somewhere.
I ran into it a bit in my game, so I created a bunch of 2-city colonies after making the AI create 7 colonies to max out the scoreboard with 17 civs.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-10-year-veteran.574724/page-32#post-14815011

We're way overdue for a :devil: hot tip.
This one is really hot. I'll eventually get around to how Peter/Liz fit with this strategy.

:devil::devil: Several years ago, I figured out how to increase the domination limit so I can own/control more land. 51% on Large (or Huge) is just not enough room to get explosive research and space parts built. Especially gathering all the corporation resources. With the help of this forum, and special mention to elitetroops, we found...
Domination Limit can be increased to 76%. :eek:
Think about a duel map. It's 74% with one opponent. Each extra opponent is -2%, so 4 opponents on Tiny would be 70%.

So how do you get it to zero opponents and 76%?
The key is : Vassals don't count. Note, they have to be newly created colony/vassals. If, for example, Mansa becomes your vassal, that won't affect the dom limit.
A good way to think about it is that you have push all the original DEAD AI off the end of the scoreboard, so new leaders need to appear.

Solution 1: Free your own colonies
you need 2 cities (minimum) on another landmass to free a colony. For 16 colonies, that would be 32 cities! And a lot of land that they own which counts towards your 76% :(

Solution 2: Make the AI create colonies
Here is where I check the code and calculate how/if the AI will do this.
Short answer for this game on Large: The AI will instantly free a colony (no randomness :thumbsup:) if they have maybe 4 cities, certainly 5, on one landmass that does not contain the AI capital. You just need to make the cities' maintenance exceed their value in commerce/hammers.
:devil: mini-hot tip within this hot tip: It helps to pillage roads and/or blockade to prevent internal trade routes.
:( Of course, there's a huge problem with solution 2 as is. You can't be giving away 50+ cities to the AI. And then they'd have a bunch of corp resources they won't trade you.

edit: I should point out that when anyone creates a new colony, each city gets two defenders. :devil: Hot tip: Keep one stone-aged AI around and deny them metals so each city will have two warriors :thumbsup:

- Fix #1 for solution 2
Recapture the cities. rinse, repeat.
This fails because the dead newly created colony drops to the bottom of the list. The next new colony pushes it off and no change in dom limit.

- Fix #2
This is where the Liz/Peter land inspired me.
I can't afford to hold those lands anyway. And many are horrible jungle cities. So capture them all for the :gold:, but give 5 away to say Lincoln. New colony (let's say Zara) created. Recapture 4 of 5 cities leaving Zara alive. Gift the 4 back to Lincoln plus one more. Rinse, repeat.
(technically, I have to do a small twist to finally get rid of Lincoln, but...)
Eventually, I could end up with 17 new AI all on that landmass in 17 cities. Dom limit is then 76%.

Conclusion:
I'll most likely not do pure solution 2 and instead mix 1 & 2, meaning I'll have a few of my own vassals. 2 cities each, on islands with mining/sushi resources. Each of these vassals is also +1 happy which I planned to benefit from.

So now my army can finally move confidently west. As they trickle in, they can first perform mass worker stealing and I'll ship those home, then pillaging, and then capturing cities for colony creation/dom limit increase.

edit: After you raise the dom limit to 76% or whatever you want, you can kill everyone (except one so you don't win by conquest). Maybe reclaim some corp resources.

This here is the key:
- Fix #1 for solution 2
Recapture the cities. rinse, repeat.
This fails because the dead newly created colony drops to the bottom of the list. The next new colony pushes it off and no change in dom limit.
I need to test newly dead colonies dropping to the bottom of the list with BUFFY .005 (Is it sorted alphabetically or something?)
Not entirely sure what exactly I did to get around that problem. :hmm:

I just kept making the one AI create a colony repeatedly, made colonies myself, then when the dom % stopped going up I started killing the AI Master each time and using their colony to create a colony.
Eventually I somehow? reached my 68% cap.
There were still a few original AI alive preventing me from going up to the theoretical 76% max.

Anyway, more testing needs doing to find the optimal way to max out the Dom. Limit, but WastinTime's Fix #2 probably works well.

Last edited:
Than you, Kaitzilla, it is a good thing that I generated maps for my next game with "No city razing", although for different reasons.

No problem, good luck! :D

Oh ya, one more thing about getting a colony to form with 3 cities in Anarchy.

If the 3 cities have 1 turn of Anarchy left in them when gifted to the AI, they will come out of Anarchy in-between turns and the AI will usually not form a colony :sad: because they generate too much :gold: :science: :hammers:

It is hard to get into the weird colony-making tempo, but once everything is set up properly don't DOW until you see the colony form, and don't conquer the colony and start the Anarchy timers until the master will talk Cease Fire.

Don't forget the spin we put on it with Japan/Korea in the SGotM. We did it for a different reason (Espionage points)
:devil: You only need a 1-tile island.
You move the AI capital to that island. If the AI has an island, simply conquer all the other cities. If not, then gift an island to the AI first. If he won't take it, beat him down to 3 cities, cease fire and gift it.

Now, you can give him 4 garbage cities on the mainland to get the colony formed.

Conquer the original AI on the island and beat the vassal down to 1 city. Cease Fire and move that new AI off to some ice-castle somewhere.

:devil: Wanna get really fancy? Here's something I tried once. I'm not sure I ever discussed this secret...
Spoiler Exploit? :

Turn on 'require complete kills' game option :eek:
Gift a workboat, or a scout? to the new vassal.
Now you can take back all the cities but the AI won't be dead. You don't have to leave the AI alive on some ice-castle to keep him on the scoreboard and push off the original dead AI opponents.
So you don't waste 15 cities keeping the new AI alive.

Of course, once the dom limit is 76%, you could take back all those 15 cities and kill all the AI, but this way lets you skip the 15 cities entirely.

:wallbash: Warning: it can be annoying when you actually want to kill an original AI and they have a far-off workboat or, God-forbid, a spy.

Don't forget the spin we put on it with Japan/Korea in the SGotM. We did it for a different reason (Espionage points)
:devil: You only need a 1-tile island.
You move the AI capital to that island. If the AI has an island, simply conquer all the other cities. If not, then gift an island to the AI first. If he won't take it, beat him down to 3 cities, cease fire and gift it.

Now, you can give him 4 garbage cities on the mainland to get the colony formed.

Conquer the original AI on the island and beat the vassal down to 1 city. Cease Fire and move that new AI off to some ice-castle somewhere.

:devil: Wanna get really fancy? Here's something I tried once. I'm not sure I ever discussed this secret...
Spoiler Exploit? :

Turn on 'require complete kills' game option :eek:
Gift a workboat, or a scout? to the new vassal.
Now you can take back all the cities but the AI won't be dead. You don't have to leave the AI alive on some ice-castle to keep him on the scoreboard and push off the original dead AI opponents.
So you don't waste 15 cities keeping the new AI alive.

Of course, once the dom limit is 76%, you could take back all those 15 cities and kill all the AI, but this way lets you skip the 15 cities entirely.

:wallbash: Warning: it can be annoying when you actually want to kill an original AI and they have a far-off workboat or, God-forbid, a spy.
It would be a spooky game if you kept spawning a Great Spy, gifted it to an AI, and then took all their cities.

Those things are eternal, and anyone whoo looks at your save will be really confused how the AI are all still alive with no units or cities on the map. :lol:

Top Bottom