1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ IV to Civ II?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by CedricTheAwesom, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Playsoneasy

Playsoneasy Chieftain

Can confirm. As someone who played the PS1 version of Civ2 extensively, the advisor council and wonder vids were things that added some real flavour to the game.

Yes, the potential to lose a whole stack of units all at once forced one to consider unit stacks and unit spread. The one exception (in the PS1 version anyway) was if a stack of units was occupying a fort; they would be protected from the "kill one kill all" rule inside a fort.

I think there was a limit to how many cities that could be at any one time, something like 255 cities (at least in the PS1 version)? Not sure how many exactly though.

I still have my physical copy of PS1 Civ2, complete with tech tree poster, and yes there are a lot of techs the discovery of which is dependent on other prerequisite techs being discovered.

Freight (and caravans IIRC) was also useful for helping to rush-build wonders. One thing I miss in later Civs is the ability to spam freight to quick-build wonders.

2. Patine

Patine Deity

This is not unique to the PS1 version. The PC version also has forts that negate the one-stack-kill rule.

3. Playsoneasy

Playsoneasy Chieftain

It would be interesting to know just how similar the PS1 and PC versions of Civ2 were.

4. Playsoneasy

Playsoneasy Chieftain

I know there are no custom map sizes in the PS1 version of Civ2. You have a choice of "large", "medium" and "small" map sizes, and each game seems to take place on a randomly selected map from a list of preselected choices (I do remember growing familiar with certain map layouts so I don't think they were randomly generated). Also, there's a limit on how many civs one can have - seven, including you. Another consideration, each civ is a set colour (England is Orange, France is dark blue, America light blue etc) and it is not possible to have two civs sharing the same colour in the same game, so one cannot have England and Greece - both orange, for example - on the same map.

I'm not sue if any of these map-or-civ-related limitations were present in the PC version of Civ2.

5. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

The PC version also had cities negate the one-stack-kill rule.

They were also present on the PC version.

6. Playsoneasy

Playsoneasy Chieftain

I'm surprised about that. I thought the PC version would have more choice and flexibility in that regard.

7. Patine

Patine Deity

1996 was still a long time ago as computer technology goes.

8. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Just to clarify, the PC version had the same limitation on choice of civilizations. You could customize the size of the map, up to 10,000 tiles, at least 40 tiles wide and tall.