Civ Sitter

I am going to say something paradoxical and possibly quite unpopular but I think it is true: Civ is so addictive because it is so boring. It is so addiictive because every move takes so long to be executed: you have the building time, the transportation time...
In practice it takes forever to see whether some strategy works

I think that if they improve the game, and make it less boring, it will also get less addctive and no timer will be necessary

Yuri2356 said:
Or maby just something along the lines of a game timer, that you can clearly see during play. Just so you know how long you've been there.

Yes, in preferences, you should be able to toggle a game timer, which shows how long you've been playing.

The Readme says your supposed to take a fifteen minute break for your eyes every hours (IIRC), and I often get a headache from looking at Civ for too long. A timer would be great.

timberwolf4545 said:
Like Queen Isabella? Now that's a hot .flc.
I think I prefer Empress Theodora :mischief: Poor Catherine. That's one of the reasons I don't ever play Russia.... ;)

By less boring, maybe shorter is the best indicator.

It really does take 10 hours to finish a long game, and the game gets repetitive after the first 3 hours. Yet you really want to see things through.

I think shortening gameplay time should be a top goal.

I used to play a game (pre-C3C) called Dungeon Keeper which if you played from midnight to 1 all spells were "Half Price" (witching hour), and at 3am it had a pop up saying "Even naughty imps go to their lairs sometimes", then another pop up at 4 and 5am. Humorous, short, in the tone of the game. I used to play at those times just to get them!

Dungeon Keeper rules!
[party]

Bullfrog (the company that made it) was always quite skilled in incorperating humor into their games. I think they belong to EA now, maby Firaxis could hire a few of them spice things up?

I think someone said somewhere that with PTW, you get a dialogue box at the end of the game telling you how many hours you've wasted on it. Well, I'd like that on the Vanilla version, please!

Over the long term, I'd hope it would, er, put the fear of bed-sores into me, or something - make me aware of just how long I was playing. And it would also be, well, interesting, in a lot of respects.

I've read what everyone has said. Now you might not agree wth this - but you know I've got a simple solution to all this.

Why not make the AI Turn alot shorter, majority of my time spent is waiting for the damn computer to finish its turn.

Come developers of Civ - make the damn comp turn alot shorter. Waiting ten minutes while it moves its stupid tanks pointlessly around just for the sake of moving them within your sight is ridiculous. That is one of the biggest Game Killer in all the Civ - somehow, someway - relieve us of this curse Civ Developers.

I have another idea which I will make a new thread on. We should be able to have some way of setting up our own buidling sequence for each and every city that gets created. I'll post this idea right now - please direct your comments there . . . as I don't want to get of the topic here - as I might have already done -sorry about that.

In Alpha Centroi a neat message used to come up "Don't go the drones neeed you!" the drones for those not in the know were the citizens.

I have another idea which I will make a new thread on. We should be able to have some way of setting up our own buidling sequence for each and every city that gets created. I'll post this idea right now - please direct your comments there . . . as I don't want to get of the topic here - as I might have already done -sorry about that.

Er, Menwia, do you mean the Queue? 'Cos that works quite nicely in CivIII as far as I can tell ...

Azrune said:
In Alpha Centroi a neat message used to come up "Don't go the drones neeed you!" the drones for those not in the know were the citizens.

No it isn't. It is:

"Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."

I should know. It is the shut down sound on my computer :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

I actually keep the sound file for "the drones need you" in my random list for listening to during Civ - it's a great reminder to check the clock, and maybe the food you started cooking 2 1/2 hrs ago (really crisp chips!) :ack:

Top Bottom