Civ V and paid downloadable content - how would you feel about it?

501st Legion

Warlord
To all Civ fans,

Now that we know Sid Meier's Civilization V is a Steamworks exclusive game and that the Babylonians are a pre-order exclusive, I would like to turn your attention to a potentially more worrisome issue:

Paid downloadable content (PDLC)

Imagine this - what if:

* You have to pay $3.25 for Navy Seals, Cataphracts, Cossacks, Praetorian Guards, and Hwacha?

* There is "downloadable content" that's already in your game files but you have to pay $9.99 to use it?

* One of the advertised features on the game came out 6 months after the game's release and you pay an additional fee to use it?

So guys, what's your opinion on this?

Since this has already been confirmed as happening (though the first batch of DLC is free, but only if you preorder), it worries me a lot.

However, like Bethesda's flawed attempt at DLC for Oblivion (of which only a couple were really worth money, the rest were below the standards of the modding community even), it'll be made available to download for free within maybe an hour of release thanks to various other sites.

So... I'm worried, but only in the sense I worry that if Firaxis is ******ed enough to do that, how flawed Civ5 will be.
Last time this happend, with EA and Sims 3, they basically released an unfinished game. It's... actually still barely finished, and is so buggy that a lot of major figures in the custom content community abandoned it and returned to Sims 2 until further notice.

It's like going out on a blind date with someone and you notice they're reading The Secret. Sure, there's the possibility that's her only flaw... but it's still going to plague your thoughts until you find out for sure.

I don't understand how a game can both offer DLC and be fully mod-able. It would be trivial to make a mod that contained all the DLC.

I'm certainly mystified. You can not offer "unprecedented" modability and also sell bits and pieces of the game.

1) The mod community will almost certainly outdo you at every turn

2) Your paid dlc will be available within an hour of its release, for free.

There is either something very special about their dlc or this game is not as modable as they say it is.

While I don't mind Steam, I do very much dislike DLC, especially when it's stuff that should have come with the original game to begin with. (e.g. 1kb downloads to let you use things that are already on the disc)

But this kind of BS has been going on for a while now, such as the only way to get some cool arm-blades in the PS3 game Infamous would require that you had preordered the game from GameStop.

I think I can safely say it's not good for customers, and only good for companies, plain and simple.

My opinion is that 2k should choose wisely. They shouldn't get hell-bent on short-term profits to the point that they lose long-term fans.

That means no paid dlc.
Also means they should include Babylon in vanilla or an expansion, not in some SE.

I don't understand how a game can both offer DLC and be fully mod-able. It would be trivial to make a mod that contained all the DLC.

Dragon Age did this.

I gotta say that DA's DLC > any DA mods, especially since most user DA mods, are, shall we say, only visual in nature :lol:.

DA also offers both DLC and an expansion pack. I'm going to take a guess and say that's going to be the model for Civ 5: 1) DLC of scenarios/civs, maybe a fan-made mod that is bought and distributed by Firaxis 2) Expansion pack with rules changes/big gameplay enhancements.

And that's why I don't like STEAM, and won't use it. Nor will I buy this game...But I will play it. :p

I hate DLC,
I want my game and all it contains in a box, with a manual and a disc, wrapped up and delievered by a playmate on rollerskates......

DLC is terrible, and I probably won't buy any beyond the initial Babylon thing. I still feel ripped off that the entire game isn't in one box, but I'll buy it anyway because I have no values :p.

If the DLC consists only of scenarios I won't care. If they introduce balance-changing units or wonders I'd be pissed.
In any case I won't buy it until there's a bundle that turns it into a real add-on.

SecuROM claims that Downloadable Content (DLC) is the next big thing, and they ought to know, right?

Seriously, I won't buy DLC. If they can't make it a part of the initial release or an expansion I want no part of it. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out that DLC is just an opportunity for the game publisher to make some extra bucks and I guess I can't blame them for that as long as they don't get too greedy.

But I'm not going to buy into it.

Dragon Age did this.

I gotta say that DA's DLC > any DA mods, especially since most user DA mods, are, shall we say, only visual in nature :lol:.

DA also offers both DLC and an expansion pack. I'm going to take a guess and say that's going to be the model for Civ 5: 1) DLC of scenarios/civs, maybe a fan-made mod that is bought and distributed by Firaxis 2) Expansion pack with rules changes/big gameplay enhancements.
DA's modability is flawed at best compared to cIV for example.

Also as I said in the other thread, I am not going to buy any DLC.

No DLC for me. I am very much willing to buy expansion packs that have something new and interesting to offer like the warlords and BtS expansions did. Paying for a new unit os resource or leader... no thanks. Thta is just insulting.

I'll wait and see how this turns out. I'd like to buy a hard copy of the full game. I've never downloaded mods for the civ games, because they've been fun enough as they were and I like to play the game as they were intended. If they release DLC:s every now and then, I might be turned off by it because it would feel like I played a incomplete game, unless they announce and release it in whole expansion packs like before.

I'll see, either I'll buy the game at release, or I'll wait for the first expansion pack just to see how the handle this. I won't buy DLC, but I can wait for expansion packs.

Depends how you define DLC. Technically, they could release expansion packs akin to Warlords and Beyond the Sword and they could be considered DLC. Anything of that scope is fine with me. However, having to pay £10 more to get content they could have just put in the initial release is excessive.

"unprecedented mod-ability" except only not modable by player community? Yes, this is looking bad.

I'm not sure why anyone is confused by this.

Civ has always historically released mods and scenarios via pay for expansion packs.

I don't see why their ability to sell individual mods and scenarios is some sort of astonishing change.

Now you get to choose to pay less and only get the scenarios and mods you're interested in rather than having to fork out $35 for the whole lot in one go.

Also, OP's post is stupid in so many ways, I can't even be bothered.

I'm not sure why anyone is confused by this.

Civ has always historically released mods and scenarios via pay for expansion packs.

I don't see why their ability to sell individual mods and scenarios is some sort of astonishing change.

Now you get to choose to pay less and only get the scenarios and mods you're interested in rather than having to fork out $35 for the whole lot in one go.

Also, OP's post is stupid in so many ways, I can't even be bothered.

Why is it stupid, care to explain?

Top Bottom