1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V Beta 1

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Ozbenno, Sep 28, 2010.

1. occam

occam Warlord

This would sound reasonable if it was not a feature that they added into Civ 4 after release. So someone knows it is a valuable, useful thing to have in their product.

(And can't we just quote the designers or provide our own personal analysis? The 3rd option, random hand-waving about what the designers might be thinking, is not as satisfying as you might imagine when you are writing it.)

2. vontos

vontos Chieftain

So I was playing great, getting all my technologies on time, building all my wonders, had four people on my continent and all were expanding, and I had four horsemen ready to attack by turn 100...I take Japan's capital and it disappears. It wasn't even slowly razed like usual. It just instantly became city ruins. Very disappointing :(

3. erajah

erajah Chieftain

There's apparently a bug associated with saving game files, apparently the more it saves the larger and more bloated it becomes... you should try to only save when quitting the game. Or, change autosaves to every turn and only load autosaves?

Personally for a HOF game I would just restart if I lost the Oracle. That's smack like a 7-10 turn penalty in my opinion. But kudos to you for continuing and getting what woudl've been a good time score!

4. Xicivilian

Xicivilian Chieftain

I could imagine that, vontos.

I just started a new game. Got Great Library too soon, so did spend the free tech on construction, I think. I had a lot of hammers, but not the Horseback Riding tech, so desided to build 3 additional warriors, research Iron Working, upgrade them to swordmen and conquer with them before I had the use of horsemen. But I had no Iron. Solved the problem by going to the second Japanes city and conquered it by 4 Warriors. They had Iron, so the moment I captured the city I could upgrade 2 Warriors (because the were in friendly territory). So after a few turns the Japs where destroyed. They had a swordmen wich could destroy one of mine, but somehow the unit moved away.

Next time I have to take the Aztechs and French, but that should be doable with swordmen and horsemen. Got Great Scientist ready for when I finish Education in a few turns. I'm curious how this continues...

5. Robkun

Robkun Chieftain

2011 victory under the tournament conditions...

I don't know how to do it better than that, props to everyone who got it before 2000, especially before 1800 that is just insane. lol

I only fought one or two minor battles, I was hermiting the whole time.... I think it is not a good idea to not fight but then I don't know where to get the extra resources or production queue to build soldiers to fight with...

Attached Files:

6. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

What "they" are you talking about? Different people designed Civ 4 than designed Civ 5.

I think it's pretty clear that the people who designed Civ 5 didn't agree that the ability to regenerate maps was one of the most important features of the game.

I don't think the Civ 4 designers thought so either, I think they thought it was a minor feature that some people might like and didn't cost them very much to implement, so why not? That's a whole lot different from considering it one of the most important features of the game.

7. iggymnrr

iggymnrr Deity

Finally played this one out on a start I wouldn't normally be caught dead playing. Somehow got to the Renn era ~turn 70 with 3 wonders and a granary. Tried beelining hospitals, more or less successfully, but the happy problem made it useless. SPs: 2 in tradition, 3 in Freedom, then down piety to use the 2 free for a Rationalism switch. Meh. Basically Christo to finish Rationalism and back to Piety. 1844 AD finish. Looks like theocracy in Piety is better than expected. Skipped Patronage altogether. Didn't seem like financing them is difficult esp if you take out barb camp and return worker. Unless you go deep in Patronage you may be able to skip it. I never had a problem paying for them, just happy problems. No horse or iron so had to fight with pike to get horse. Meh.

8. oPlaiD

oPlaiD Chieftain

Had some time so I did another game...

1730 AD, Turn 256

I had a lot of problems getting my city to grow early on since I didn't have too much in the way of food. Think if I had managed some population pops on some goody huts that might have been enough.

One mistake I guess I made was that I didn't try to get any artists. Some of my other games I was dual popping scientists and artists two or three times. This one, I just went for scientists as fast as possible. I definitely had my research up a bit higher than I have in the past, but Culture was still the limiting factor and there really are not too many more ways to get much more of it. I could focus more on building Himeji/Kremlin early, or something, but then you miss out on other useful wonders you kind of need, or I could get Artists.

I suppose grabbing two in the Piety tree may work, too, for the extra culture from happiness, but I believe if you are doing this right you will be close to neutral happiness for the bulk of the game since you'll be conquering people until you actually grab Cristo and pick up all the happiness related policies.

One annoying thing I've noticed after doing three of these games is how random the AI seems to be. In this game, half the AI on my continents were hostile to me two turns after meeting their random scouts, before they had even seen where my city was. I wasn't very close to anyone, either; three of the five AIs on the continent were much closer together than me, but for some reason it was me they chose to show their hostility too. I don't care too much if they are going to declare war on me or something, but this made it damn near impossible to get enough gold early on since they just wouldn't pay anything decent.

Other games I've played every AI is just instantly nice to me for no particular reason. It just doesn't make any sense to me, I wish I could see a pattern in how they behave.

Attached Files:

9. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Monty turned out to be a pushover. Killed all his units at the cost of only one of mine. He sued for peace before I did something stupid. Finished the game with the 3 cities. Still don't have the hang of this, though. Turn 424, 2004 was my result. Not sure I want to try again. Some how I think I will, though. ;)

10. luciferius

luciferius Chieftain

Ok I had a go at this, wasn't very good at it. I must say i find it much easier to survive in CIV V then in previous games. I didn't have war declared on me once, even though there were atleast two pretty agressive civ-s (from the notices i got). Didn't even find out who one of the civs was and other then that i sucked at everything :D

Edit: Forgot to mention, my end date was 2043 :p

Attached Files:

11. mikeydlaw

mikeydlaw Chieftain

Managed 1814 win, disapointed I couldn't go earlier than 1800 as I thought I was on track by 1000AD. Biggest mistake was not grabbing enough cities early on and then not running scientists in my capital early enough so didn't tech to Telegraph till mid 1500's which seems to be too late. I wasn't helped by the fact the 3 AI's on my continent hardly expanded at all. You don't want to cripple them too much early on so that you can still trade with them but you also need to get probably at least 4 or 5 cities as soon as possible to get maximum research.

The way I play it I go to war twice, after I beeline for Astronomy I get Horseback Riding then build a few Horseman (you only need 3 or 4). Then again after getting happiness bonuses from policies, forbidden palace, etc. You can pretty much keep taking cities from that point onwards if you take the Order tree. If your science is not high enough and you don't pop enough GS's then this will be too late for your second expansion. Although it's basically your pre 1000AD game which will dictate how well you do.

I might try once more however it's hard to find a good start with river, marble and little or no desert, and a decent number of hills all of which I think are essential so restarting 50 times to get a decent start is not all that inviting. If you hand pick Civ's which tend to be more expansive you'd probably have a better chance of cracking 1600.

Attached Files:

12. Rudianos

Rudianos Chieftain

I tried this too and managed to get victory in 1898 AD.

I'm disappointed that I couldn't get it earlier but there was only 1 cultured city state in my continent (and it was hostile). My capital was also too small to work all mines I had and because of that the Utopia project took 20 turns to be completed and that was way too long. Some people here have completed it in 10 turns or less. How is that possible?

Well, I'm going to try this again and hope I can get victory before 1800 AD.

Attached Files:

13. BuddhaRebellion

BuddhaRebellion Chieftain

Victory in 1904.

• Theology to advance to Medieval & Acoustics to Renaissance.
    • Tradition, Piety, Patronage, Freedom & Commerce (not in that order - jumped around quite a bit)
    • No restart - got marble & cotton and river on the coast on first try, but also had some tundra
    • Songhai, America, and the Ottomans on my continent - took out Songhai with Horsemen but left America & Ottomans alone
    • Finished game with Mecca plus 3 puppets....although one acquired very late game from Ottomans after they attacked me

I probably would have stayed at war longer to get more puppet cities if I were doing it over again. The extra GGs would have been nice to stay in GAs. I'm sure I made a lot of other mistakes as well, but nothing glaring comes to mind right now. I definitely learned a lot about cultural victories. I think I'll try to see how early I can get cultural with Persia on Emperor for my next game.

(edited to actually attach files - oops)

Attached Files:

14. OTAKUjbski

OTAKUjbski TK421

Wow. I must really suck at this game, lol. 1700 is wicked!

Before coming to this thread, I figured out the city-gifting exploit and finished in 1812, so I'm amazed at a 1700 finish without it.

I didn't realize I had to keep my 4000 BC save also, so I can't enter anyway. (Guess it serves me right, huh?)

Back to the drawing board, I guess.

15. TowerWizard

TowerWizard Warlord

Allright, I made a new try today and shaved 101 years off of my previous attempt. My end year is 1810 this time.

This time I only built two cities, and puppeted the other ones I liked. The same strategy was employed when conquering as last time: build 3 horsemen and just kill everyone on the continent and trade with the civs on other continent. I do not trust the AI to not declare on me, so I just kill them off and take their stuff. I must say that the horsemen are better than the Camel Archers, since the latter CANNOT take a city. Incredibly annoying. Also, they only gain 2 exp per hit, whereas the horsemen gain 5 exp. Other than this, same strategy. Built Utopia Project in city two: +50 production from Railroad bonus SHOULD also be in the capital. Also, the late game is soo boooring. Nothing to do but wonderspam.

Attached Files:

16. Wakrob

Wakrob Chieftain

Was going good but no matter how dumb the AI is you cant hold off the Japanese empire with two archers. Lost capital at 1640 with along way to go.

I had three cities, was cracking out most the World Wonders. Im going to try again and hope for more Cultured city states on my continent (was just one).

Im not really sure how to run my cities. The computer likes farms....I like trade posts. Im going to give it another go.

Wak

17. vcdragoon

vcdragoon Chieftain

Long time lurker, first time posting. :)

I enjoy this sort of challenge, and decided to actually try one for submission to celebrate the release of CiV.

Well, got to Telegraph in the 1500s, then realized that I only had 12k culture stored. Only having 2 cultural CS hurt my game, and only 1 was on my continent.

300 years later, Utopia. Sad, sad game.

General strategy was a combination of Neuro's and Erajah's posts.

Typical Scout -> Monument -> Worker -> Stonehenge -> GL. Due to ruins popping an early calendar and mining, ended up not having to push GL. Rather, chopped early GL for theology and started education and chopped for Oracle. Bought early Library, then rushed Horsemen. /shrug, hit end turn for an hour or so. :p

In retrospect, I think having a good result for this gauntlet relies on a few factors. Map generation, obviously, but also the key is to be able to balance the ratios for beaker/hammer/culture. Just being able to make sure not to overflow on beakers and to swap up to culture/hammer for the minute gains add up in the end.

Anyway, fun times. I'm sure I'm not the only one who went nuts before the game ever started listening to the starting monologue. Took 22 tries to get river + marble, so much so I passed on trying for the river+marble+wheat+hill quadfecta. That's too much to hope for. :p

Attached Files:

18. Boukev

Boukev Chieftain

Hi All, first post and first excitement!
    Well I love the idea of gauntlets and now that I have picked up CiV it will be a good way to improve my game.
    Since I have never tried a cultural victory and because I generally suck having no experience in CiV (Except CiV2) I finished in 2040 AD.

The worst result in here but thank god I didn't save the first turn so I won't see my name disgraced on last place.
    I just picked the first generated map and ended up with only 2 lux. Resources and just a few food. resources.
    Terrible start spot I guess but I hate reloading so I gave it a go. The location enemy wise ended up being pretty perfect,
    with a mountain range shielding me from Egypt's might and two strong city states shielding me from the rest of the continent.
    I haven't met a single enemy unit on my ground in the entire game. Unfortunatly I also wasn't able to explore a lot without a Coastal City which gave me trouble trading my 2 resources.

Been fun, can't wait for a next objective! Then I'll make sure to get the first turn save correctly.

Finished Utopia: 2040 AD

Attached Files:

19. BuddhaRebellion

BuddhaRebellion Chieftain

I just started my second attempt at this today and yeah, I turned the sound off after a while.

I now have ingrained in my brain that Mohammad died in 632 AD.

20. pagh80

pagh80 Warlord

I Just finished my second game and won in turn 234 - 1620AD, and this time i have the required saves. :)

From my previous game(here) i did make several changes. Partly because of the way the game turned out.

First of all my startposition wasnt special but i couldnt be arsed to reload until i had marble + river wheat.
    As the first couple of turns was made, i met both napoleon and alex so i knew they were very close to me. For this reason and also cause i didnt like my start position at all, i desided to experiment abit.
    I went for early warmongering and made a warrior after my scout. I would have made another warrior but my scout found a weapon upgrade.
    I was abit suprised how easily i conquered Paris with 2 warriors and a archer. In the meantime i met Germany which i went straigt for also. Funny thing was that his spearman fled Berlin while i attacked the City.(weird AI)
    All in all i ended up with my capitol, 2 puppet cities and 1 worker(beside my own) after just 33 turns! :clap:
    Suddenly my medicore start seemed very good, and i was quite optimistic and interested to see how this approach would end out.

I kept my focus on getting allied with maritime CSs, and get to the Renaissance age asap for the max food bonus.
    To do that i used a suggestion from this thread, about saving you GL for education and just researching Theology the normal way. I also bought a library instead of spending the money on allying a maritime CS. I then used a library to make sure i would pop a GS as my GL finished
    By using this approach my GL and GS was ready some turns after i invented Theology.

By turn 70 i bulbed education+Acoustics and got into the Renaissance age.
    Seriously getting there in just 70 turns is sick, and it doesnt even require anything special you can't achieve in almost every game! This seems by far the best approach you can make for a prince cultural victory.
    Writing -> Philosophy -> Theology -> Education(with GL) -> Acoustics(with GS) + early warmongering
    One thing to note is that you most likely wont have the SP to get Constitution this early, but its not that important as your culture output is minimal anyway. Allying with maritime CSs and getting that hefty food bonus earlier is really why you want to take this approach. Sooner or later you will have the SP points needed anyway. No big deal.

Spoiler :

Short overview how it looked like at turn 70. Mecca wasnt big but with the max food bonus i would get from maritime CSs, that would change very fast.

Just look at how many units alex have after less than 100 turns. It was pretty easy to beat though, because of the less than optimal AI ;)

Another great thing about early conquest is that those Puppets help you greatly with science and SP points.
    Also the beauty with this techpath is that your puppets can only make useful buildings(monument/library/temple/monastary/garden/university) Basically they dont make crap like barracks and Armory(keep away from Bronze working as long as possible!!!)
    In my previous game i was still at one city at this point and i can really see the difference, in my income, my science and my SP points, eventhough im behind abit with allying maritime CSs.

From here on it was similar to my previous game. I did use a GS to bulb biology early to get that max bonus from cultured CSs. Also there was 4 this game instead of only 2 in my last game. that helped alot also.

In conclusion:
    My start place, my surroundings, the AIs, and my luck was worse than my previous game. I wasnt lucky to get some free allied CSs from mini quests and the other AIs was mainly militaristic + poor(monty/ramsy/alex(crazy guy)/Hiawatha)
    Still because of my warmonger start and techpath it ended better. :)
    I only made 1 building(monument) the rest i bought and spent my hammers on wonders.

Spoiler :

Short overview of how my empire looked like at the win date.

Funny thing to note was that i actually found use of the great artists special ability. If it wasnt for this guy, i would not have a single piece of coal to make a factory before i started the utoptia project.
    I never used a GA for other than golden ages but in this game he was a life saver. :goodjob:

Im certain you can get below 1600AD. I made many different small mistakes that set me back, during the game.

Attached Files: