Civ V is Tom Chick's #1 most disappointing game release of the year.

I saw that. Whilst it would have been great for the AI to be able to use 1UPT properly, I'd almost consider it naive in this day and age for people to expect anything AI related to work 'out of the box'.

Well I don't know who this guy is reviewing the games, most of those games were pretty bad. Although if he played most of them on the PC and not console they would be a little better. AvP's only problem is that they made the FPS have a rock, paper scissors combat system, that made no sense.

Civ 5 < Elemental??? He lost all his credibility with me on that. Elemental was absolute crudware that didn't even work. It reeked of "my first game design".

Rat

Civ 5 < Elemental??? He lost all his credibility with me on that. Elemental was absolute crudware that didn't even work. It reeked of "my first game design".

Rat

I feel bad for Kael. Maybe their new patch fixed alot. On paper it should have been a 21st century "Master of Magic"... which incidentally is selling for ONE HUNDRED, FORTY FOUR DOLLARS AND NINETY EIGHT CENTS on amazon.com. A real deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Magic-..._1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1292706571&sr=1-1

I think 2010 has just been the year of crap computer code. Hurry up and get here, new years.

Fallout New Vegas is disappointing him because it won't run. Well yeah sure, it has issues obviously and so has a lot of games. They get patched, industry could sure be less arrogant about releasing broken products, I agree.
BUT. If you are to review games, it's nice if the content is judged for what it is.
---------

Civ V. Well if you are emotionally involved and let your judgement come from that you probably cannot accept that original release had lots of issues. The alternative would mean delaying the game to fix some issues but we'd not have the game and the actual evolution of the game would be slower.

Firaxis will continue to work on the game inbetween DLCs and expansions (they run a company, remember). What alot of people here do not realise is that we are spoiled because Firaxis does, contrary to loads of other game developers out there, listen to us and revise the game largely in the direction we set.

IMO, either drop the game and play whatever floats your boat ( IV is still great...) or start making constructive arguments about this game. By now we all know many of you are disappointed, what with the need of making something crystal clear even clearer?

note: Not directed at the OP personally, rather at the general ranting and chanting on these boards lately.

Let's move on.

:gripe: :hammer2: :deadhorse:

WEll, the AI is still jumping into the ocean to try to attack in a narrow corridor. At least that happened in my current game. I just picked the units up with a trireme. They are giving 1 XP now for that.

Tom Chick drives me crazy! Really, Tom, Reach is one of your "most over-hyped" games of the year? "Gameplay is the same." What!? did you even... ah forget it. And of course as Rat said above ciV worse than ELEMENTAL? Ugh...

Yes, read what he said. "Disappointing", not "worst". Civ5 clearly did not meet its high expectations upon initial release. Other games probably did not have as high of expections and probably met them or were slightly under. In other words, a game that was supposed to be a 9/10 and realistically was a 6/10 is worse than a game that was projected as a 6/10 and came in at 5/10.

No, not worse, more disappointing.

There is a whole world of a difference between there.

I just wanted to quote this, because this is what I was scrolling down to post.

Elemental isn't even the worst game of the year. I'm sure many of the crappy games I spent a week programming in Java this year are worse. Yet I doubt any of them are more disappointing than Civ 5.

The only game in that list in which I was really disappointed was Elemental (I expected really a lot of that game). Good concept, bad execution. Buggy, shallow spells, bad AI, non-challenging gameplay.

Singularity was just an average game. Not enough hype to be disappointed.

New Vegas is reallty great. At least x3 better game then Fallout 3.

As for Civ5, no disappointments from me what so ever. Could it have been better. Sure? But it hit my "just one more turn addiction" just fine, which is all that counts in my book.

P.S.
Other games I haven't played.

Rat

But Elemental was not hyped as Civ and Stardock is a way more little as a SH than Firaxis...

I think it's a great disappointment but for a game with lesser expectations than Civ V.

Everything that comes out from Bethe$da is abominable. #10 means that he's already known that, hence not a lot of disappointment.

Rat

Yeah, but this ugly duckling is growing fast... Elemental with 1.1 is much better than civ V, even with all DLC and this Fountain of Youth nonsence.

Yes, read what he said. "Disappointing", not "worst". Civ5 clearly did not meet its high expectations upon initial release. Other games probably did not have as high of expections and probably met them or were slightly under. In other words, a game that was supposed to be a 9/10 and realistically was a 6/10 is worse than a game that was projected as a 6/10 and came in at 5/10.

He reviewed Elemental as a C+, and Civ5 as a C.

The guy is a total nobface and has no credibility in the industry.

Interestingly, he's the guy with the tag, "Yes, I'm the guy who hated Deus Ex".

Top Bottom