• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .
Resource icon

Civ VI Levy Units

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
Victoria submitted a new resource:

Civ VI Levy Units - Levy City State Units

Levy City State Units
View attachment 525216
  • You can levy a City States (CS) military units is you are currently suzerain of that CS. You can do this multiple times for each CS but if already levying units, you cannot levy more until you are no longer levying units.
  • It costs the base production value of the units levied in gold. A warrior costs 40 production so if a CS has 3 warriors to Levy, it will cost 120 gold to do so.
  • You can levy...

Read more about this resource...

Very useful guide! Thank you very much! So I wonder if I play as Sumeria, can I levy units with 1/4 price when Foreign Ministry constructed?

Very useful guide! Thank you very much! So I wonder if I play as Sumeria, can I levy units with 1/4 price when Foreign Ministry constructed?
I intend to test sometime but I imagine so.
Like a lot of things in civ, the value is less to have both but Hungary having it would be more beneficial.
What surprised me in testing is how the CS keeps your special units and you can levy them multiple times.
Naturally the test also included some firetuner use so am always cautious of results.

It is a simple guide but clears some stuff up, nice spotting it so quick, I did not really publish it anywhere

I intend to test sometime but I imagine so.
Like a lot of things in civ, the value is less to have both but Hungary having it would be more beneficial.
What surprised me in testing is how the CS keeps your special units and you can levy them multiple times.
Naturally the test also included some firetuner use so am always cautious of results.

It is a simple guide but clears some stuff up, nice spotting it so quick, I did not really publish it anywhere
I don't know if it is a bug or not, but I tried to levy units as Sumeria, it just cost the gold as much as the base production value of the units levied, no discount

I don't know if it is a bug or not, but I tried to levy units as Sumeria, it just cost the gold as much as the base production value of the units levied, no discount
I will try and have a look later but there is a sewing circle occurring tonight at our house so will be delayed. Thanks for the heads up.

Just tried it. Here Nazca has 5 warriors which should be 5x40=200 gold but I only have to pay 100 gold as Sumeria. Have you some od mods?
upload_2019-5-21_22-43-32.png

Just tried it. Here Nazca has 5 warriors which should be 5x40=200 gold but I only have to pay 100 gold as Sumeria. Have you some od mods?
View attachment 525271
That's strange. I have bought GS, but still playing the previous R&F game as Sumeria. I will try to reload the game again and upload the result, thanks!

@myclan I tested Gilgamesh with foreign ministry and it is indeed 1/4 of the original price.

Gilgamesh Before Foreign Ministry
View attachment 525275
Gilgamesh After Foreign Ministry
View attachment 525276
So in this picture we can see Buenos Aires has two pikeman and one musketman, the total production cost is 640, and I need 640 gold to levy them as Sumeria without Foreign Ministry. Not any mod involved. Will the cost change during later era?

Will the cost change during later era
Not that I am aware of. It did not change from ancient to medieval for me and I have just assumed because it is based on the cost of the unit that will naturally increase. Strange, my tests were in-game rather than by firetuner so should be the same as yours.
Post the save?
I have seen a post by someone else saying gilgameshes discount is great indicating it does work but you cannot trust what you read.
You could try starting a new game and as soon as you find a CS, see how much it would be to levy to identify if you get the discount in earlier eras.
You sure have enough gold to levy troops!

Not that I am aware of. It did not change from ancient to medieval for me and I have just assumed because it is based on the cost of the unit that will naturally increase. Strange, my tests were in-game rather than by firetuner so should be the same as yours.
Post the save?
I have seen a post by someone else saying gilgameshes discount is great indicating it does work but you cannot trust what you read.
You could try starting a new game and as soon as you find a CS, see how much it would be to levy to identify if you get the discount in earlier eras.
You sure have enough gold to levy troops!
So I upload my save here.
It's strange that when I started a new game, it did show that I only need 40 gold to levy a City State's units with 2 warrior.

Attachments

• GILGAMESH 188 1270 AD.rar
    2.2 MB · Views: 151
Ok... sounds like old save or old map?
Yes, I started this R&F game before GS, I don't know if this is the reason, but I just remembered I still needed to pay plenty of gold to levy units after constructing Foreign Ministry, and I regarded the price of levying units as a joke.

Yes, I started this R&F game before GS, I don't know if this is the reason, but I just remembered I still needed to pay plenty of gold to levy units after constructing Foreign Ministry, and I regarded the price of levying units as a joke.
Ok are you happy to leave it at that then until you get the prob with a new game or would you like the confirmation it is messed for me too? .. very likely

Ok are you happy to leave it at that then until you get the prob with a new game or would you like the confirmation it is messed for me too? .. very likely
No offense. At that time after constructing foreign ministry the price just not cheap as I had thought. So I thought the original price would be ridiculously expensive. Now I know my game had just been broken.

Very informative guide, thanks for putting all that together.
Do you pay the normal maintenance cost of the levied units?

Levied units do not count toward your civs military strength - I think this is not true anymore? In Hungary games I got huge military score without producing any units.

Levied units do not count toward your civs military strength - I think this is not true anymore? In Hungary games I got huge military score without producing any units.
Maybe it was a bug, I cannot test ATM but next time you are about to levy, check your military strength before and after.
Score is likely a different counter.
Not saying you are wrong, things change all the time but generally the guide helps. Let me know and I’ll update.

Top Bottom