civ2 install problems...:(

JJavi

Chieftain
I'm sure this has been asked many times now, but still...

I have a problem istalling civ2 on win98. If I want to install these wing-files and video for windows it crashes with a 'dshell' error.

Civ2 I can install but won't run. It comes up with an illegal operation right away.

WTF, please help. Thanks.

Per David pritchard in the civ/win2k thread

"- (Do) *not* install Video for Windows during CivII setup. If you did this already, delete Ir41.dll from Win\system"

This may be specific only to win2K

If you do not already have recent versions of the indeo drivers, get them from ligos.com

[This message has been edited by Lefty Scaevola (edited June 05, 2001).]

I tried deleting that file but I don't have it. It's probably just for win2k...

So, any other siggestions on how to solve this? It works well on my Win95 comp. But something's f...d up with the game running in Win98...!?!

Trying doing a clean install after turning off all the resident win98 accessories (from the ctrl-alt-del pop up) except systray & expolorer. This has commonly been necessary to install Fantasic Worlds, and perhaps you particular set up has sothing that interfers with installing the basis civ2.

I tried what you suggested, but guess what NOTHING!!! It still doesn't work.

Now, I've tried to remove all civ2 files but maybe there are still some corrupted files that hinder me to do a CLEAN installation!?!

Someone has got to know something about Civ2 in WIN98!!! Problems, Bugs, Tricks, Solutions, etc.

Thanks for cooperating...

Actually there is not much on instlalling civ2 onto win98 because there have not been many problems there.
Another posibility is that your cd is damaged or corrupted.
I will go serch archives at Apolyton for win98-civ install problems

[This message has been edited by Lefty Scaevola (edited June 07, 2001).]

No luck so far I could searh back only to January 2000, it appears that your situation is unique.

[This message has been edited by Lefty Scaevola (edited June 07, 2001).]

Thanks for all the replies.

You're right Genghisk, I've got nothing to lose. But what do you mean by that (running it in pure MS-DOS mode)? It does need windows to run, does it not?

AND I tried a different cd-rom of civ2 from a friend and it doesn't work either. My disc was allright though, it works on the other comp.... So it's got to be my damn system.

Even if I just install the civ2 files and not the vfw or wing files, I cannot run it 'cause it comes up with an illegal operation immediately.

I even tried re-installing win98.

b]So, in case no one of you CIV2-Fanatics has any other suggestions I will NEVER be able to play this fabulous game ever again !!!!!!!!!!!![/b]

JJavi, What kind of computer do you have?

Specs: ECS K7VZA, TB800, MX, 128MB Inf., 20GB, 52xCD, ...

Pretty normal actually, don't think problems coming from hardware...

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By GenghisK:

Already tried to run it in pure MS-DOS mode? No? Try that. After all, you've nothing else to lose

That's the 2nd time I've seen you making such a statement. That is not possible GenghisK. Civ II MGE requires Win95 or later. DOS is 100% out of the question. Try not to suggest it again... some people may waste time attempting it.

Make sure you have the latest version of DirectX (8.0, I think).

DX 8.0 is bug-ridden. Use 8.0a.

GENERAL ANSWER:

It is highly unlikey you have a "corrupt file" problem. The actual cause is a driver conflict.

I assume you've tried all the standard troubleshooting.

The nature of Windows programming, coupled with sloppy programming habits, esp. with extraordinarly poor install routines, will often leave the average user in a position that the only thing you can do is install a 2nd copy of Windoze, or else re-install windows.

Since you tried the lattter, you'll need to resolve some sort of hardware/driver related issue, most likely dealing with the AGP/PCI bus, video chip, and/or MS drivers.

The conflict could arise from several sources, most of which are the fault of the Evil Empire (MS). For your specific case, it is a likely a video driver issue.

You might consider just installing a 2nd copy of Windoze 98 for games. You'll need a 3rd party program, like System Commander, unless you're comfortable with multiple OSs already. Since you tried re-installing Win98 to no avail, this solution is likely not going to work in your case, however.

Actually from what I've seen it most likely a WinG setup error, as Win 98 doesn't come with full WinG support. I can send you a zip of the WinG setup files for you to run if you want. Also I would suggest, like the others did, to install the loatest indeo drivers, or not install them at all. Having the most recent Direct X (8.0a I believe) won't hurt either.

------------------
"I just found my way. All you stupid ****ers walk around astounded and drowning." -Tantric
Cedric's Civilization 2 Site-Home of the finally updated "Multiplayer Gold Edition" patch.

Top Bottom