Civ2 Intensive CPU Usage bug: potential warning for laptop users! (+Discussion)

Jokemaster

Insert something here
Apologies if this sounds too much like a clickbait title, but I feel like I need to speak out.

People who have played Civ2 on recent-ish machines know that Civ2 has a tendency to use up A LOT of processing power. Since the game was released during 1996, its coding was a bit sloppy: the game used all available processing power, even when it was idle and not processing cities/moving units/AI's. It would yield when another program needed processor power, like an antivirus utility. But processors from today are a lot more powerful than processors of 20 years ago, which results in a LOT of available processing power, especially when not doing anything CPU intensive like, say, bitcoin mining or playing Planetside.

The end result? Heavy, very heavy fan usage. People know that, and there are fixes around (which I had neglected to apply) What might be more important however, is that I think that it might also reduce a laptop's battery life (Not the length of time before you have to recharge, but the length of time that you straight-up have before you need to physically replace it due to being worn out) because of the overworking/overheating that it might cause. I've had two batteries essentially bricked since starting up Civ2 again last year. The first time, I billed it on natural electronics failure, since the battery was a few years old: but this time I'm not so sure... might just be me making uneducated assumptions/having subpar computer maintenance habits, but still.

Did it happen to anyone else playing on a modern-ish laptop? (For reference, mine is 4yrs old, running Win7)

Top Bottom