Civ2 on WinXP vs WinXP Pro

SimonK

Chieftain
Okay... I first tried to install my good ol' Civ2 on my Win XP Home machine:

P4 2.8 512 Ram, 128 Video Card Gecube Radeon 9200

No luck. But I made the mistake of running the VFW stuff before I found this site. Okay so download patches, remove the old indeo driver ver 4 something... install the drivers for v5, instal wing1 stuff. Still no joy. Use the WinXP settings for compatability for both Win95 and Win2000 - no joy.

My computer restarts each time I try to run the game. But I can run the map editor.

Well, I've got my old PIII laptop with WinXP Pro, so I figure maybe I can get it to work on that. And I did! Just using the Civ 2 CD-Rom and skipping the VFW part, and telling it to run in Win95 compatibility mode.

Mind you this laptop was once running WinME and was an upgrade on that... plus it uses a different graphics card - Geforce 2...

Anyone have any idea how I can get Civ2 to work on the Desktop XP Home machine? :crazyeye:

Did you also get a blue screen error message? I cannot play Civ II anymore under XP Home.
Installation runs fine; I use the WinG from Civ II and the 5.11 driver from Indeo. But as soon as I try to run the game, the error screen appears, forcing an automatic shutdown and restart. Only think I could muster was an error with the "cmuda.sys" file.

And now - the strange part: After the restart the Civ II folder and start enty totally disappeared from my hard drive! This already happened twice. :confused:

Any ideas anyone? I really miss the game ... :cry:

Yashed To said:
Did you also get a blue screen error message? I cannot play Civ II anymore under XP Home.
Installation runs fine; I use the WinG from Civ II and the 5.11 driver from Indeo. But as soon as I try to run the game, the error screen appears, forcing an automatic shutdown and restart.

This reminds a problem for which the solution was very simple: upgrade to 2.42... Did you install the patch?

First things first: look at the sticky thread about Win2k, it should help you solve the problem!

Yup, I first took a look at the Win2k thread, but it didn't solve my problems. I also upgraded to version 2.42.

Had to spend about two hours to get my PC back working since Windows always wanted to prefetch (didn't know that this function existed!!) Civ 2, but since it wasn't on the HD anymore (as I said automatically deleted), the start sequence ended in an infinite loop of loading and searching.

The problems seem to be the WinG and VfW codecs, but I won't attempt another try, before I'm dead sure I don't end up the same way as I did today ...

THis problem seems to be quite prevalant. Which is egrarious and unfortunate, and prevents the further dispachtation of Civilization2 among the hard drives of countless innocent victims. In short, you can't play Civ2, and it really sucks.

Top Bottom