Civ2 Source Code Petition

Problem is you're asking a company to devote resources and time to making a 20 year old game ready to be distributed, and playable, on modern computers. Also, there is an extremely small playerbase.

Not to mention the hurdles and obstacles to modifying the game to enjoy it.

Hacking the game, modifying the game, adding roundabout overlayed code to the game - all of it, would pale in comparison to a real open source redo with modern technologies, tools, and architecture.

Prof Garfield is right. Redo the game. (And the first guy who says "FreeCiv is available" gets a punch to the face).

Hacking the game, modifying the game, adding roundabout overlayed code to the game - all of it, would pale in comparison to a real open source redo with modern technologies, tools, and architecture.

Prof Garfield is right. Redo the game. (And the first guy who says "FreeCiv is available" gets a punch to the face).

Well, I'm not convinced that I'm right, or at least that it is worth the trouble. If you have some time, I'd appreciate it if you commented in the thread https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/making-a-clone-of-civ-ii.649543/ where I discuss it. I'm not a software engineer, so I don't know how much modern technologies, tools, and architecture I'd be putting into it (though, maybe some of that stuff is already in the engine I would use). No hurry to comment. I'm working 13 hrs/day for the next 3 days, and, in any case, still have other projects to finish before I seriously consider starting a remake.

Top Bottom