Civ4: Colonization... For Macintosh?

promethean_beta

Chieftain
I know that Civ 4: Colonization was just recently announced, and that it's not going to be released until 'late 2008', but what do folks think the odds are of it coming to the Mac?
I hope I'm not the only one champing at the bit for this! I loved playing the old Colonization on my Performa 575 back in the day, and am eager to give that new one a spin.

Perhaps we could petition Aspyr?

Honest chances?

0%

Aspyr has already stated that Civ4 was a losing port for them. I really don't expect to see any support for Civ4 based games from Aspyr again. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment.

I'll be buying Civ4:Colonization on day one. Sadly it won't be for Mac though.

With the intel processor it wouldn't a big effort.
That depends on whether the Civ4 engine can be ported using Cider. I don't know how successful this has been so far.

Civ4 uses a lot of Windows-only technology, and Aspyr had to invest a lot of effort to create bridges from DirectX to OS X OpenAL and OpenGL to make it a native app.

Hm, you know, Mac publishers are pretty good at porting the first iterations of a game. So, maybe Aspyr, who I assume will also have the rights to publish C4C for the Mac may have a go at it. It's in the expansions that things begin to get sticky. In general, the revenue is much greater the first go-round.

Got to wonder if this was a losing port because they get the apps out to the market, but they're always lagging behind the PC counterpart, bugs take so long to get fixed, etc.etc.etc. while we watch the other side play with each other more easily, with lots of curious mods/scenarios/art.. It happened with 3, got excited bought 4 and the same thing has happened again.

The game just feels like it's been left not finished and castoff by the company.

I'm sure part of the problem is the lagging behind on the ports. A Mac Civ fan is going to have a hard time waiting for the port to be completed when they see the Windows having been available for months already.

I think the bottom line is this... porting a niche game like Civ to a niche computer market is not very economical. I can understand why both MacSoft and Aspyr abandoned their Mac Civ ports. I just wish they did it with a little more grace.

I bought Warlords:Mac to support Aspyr and encourage them to port BTS (that was just before BTS came out), guess not enough people did so (indeed, niche market lol). And then they decide not to port BTS.

I bought Call to Power for Linux, and then Lokigames died.

Once is luck.. twice is coincidence.. thrice is a pattern. I hope I'm not burned a 3rd time lol

Patrix.

There is no chance of it coming to Mac.

I am a very enthusiastic Mac user but secretly keep a PC running just for Civ.

If you have Leopard and an Intel Mac, you already have Bootcamp. You just need Windows - XP SP2/3, or Vista if you insist.

There is no chance of it coming to Mac.

I am a very enthusiastic Mac user but secretly keep a PC running just for Civ.

I doubt there's "no chance." BtS coming to the Mac is not a requirement for C4C. What I see happening, is a better deal for Aspyr to negotiate two products rather than one. As Glenda Adams (of Aspyr) has already commented at IMG, there is "no technical reason" keeping BtS from the Mac.

I doubt there's "no chance."
I don't believe Col will come to the Mac - that platform was abandoned already after Warlords.

No sense making a port now that Macs have Intel cpu's and can run the Windows version.

I think dojoboy's innate optimism is getting the better of him. But why not let hope triumph over experience, heh?

Top Bottom