Civilization 5 Mac System Requirements

gepapado

Chieftain
Hello, I recently started playing Civilization V on my more than adequate iMac and noticed that during the late game, it sometimes ran a little slowly for my liking. I'm not going to complain about the leaders' graphics as I know this has something to do with Windows technology not ported correctly to the Mac version. Anyway, I searched for underlying causes on my end and did not find anything. So, I checked the system requirements (SR). The recommended SR for the Windows version are ridiculously lower than for the Mac version. As far as I am concerned though, the game is not running in some sort of emulator. So, my question is, after endless ranting, why does the Mac version have to run on such a high-end computer while the Windows version does not? The system requirements for both operating systems are listed below. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_V)

System requirements

Windows​
  • Microsoft Windows
  • Windows XP SP3
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.0Ghz Processor
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 8 GB free disk space
  • DVD Drive for disc-based installation
  • 256 MB ATI 2600 XT/nVidia 7900 GS video card, or Core i3 integrated graphics
  • DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
  • Internet connection and a Steam account for authentication

Recommended​

• Windows Vista SP2/Windows 7
  • 1.8 GHz Quad Core Processor
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 8 GB free disk space
  • DVD Drive
  • 512 MB ATI 4800/nVidia 9800 or better video card

Mac​
  • Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
  • 2.6 GHz Quad Core Processor
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Video Memory: 512MB

Moderator Action: Moved to the Mac section.

And the answer is easy: Stuff gets optimized for Windows. The same optimizations don't work on a Mac, due to different structure and missing APIs, that's why the game has to run with less optimization -> more power needed.

Thanks for the "lightning fast" answer. So, they can't optimize it for the Mac as well, using some different optimization method?

Thanks for the "lightning fast" answer. So, they can't optimize it for the Mac as well, using some different optimization method?

Not easily. Translating DirectX calls into OpenGL calls is a rough enough science already. Optimizing it is something else entirely.

Another factor is the video cards / drivers themselves.. they have hardware acceleration for DirectX, but not OpenGL, so more stress is put on the CPU & RAM on the OS X side. There's no technical limitation here, it's just a matter of the video card companies & Apple working on the software...

Hello, I recently started playing Civilization V on my more than adequate iMac and noticed that during the late game, it sometimes ran a little slowly for my liking. I'm not going to complain about the leaders' graphics as I know this has something to do with Windows technology not ported correctly to the Mac version. Anyway, I searched for underlying causes on my end and did not find anything. So, I checked the system requirements (SR). The recommended SR for the Windows version are ridiculously lower than for the Mac version. As far as I am concerned though, the game is not running in some sort of emulator. So, my question is, after endless ranting, why does the Mac version have to run on such a high-end computer while the Windows version does not? The system requirements for both operating systems are listed below. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_V)

System requirements

Windows​
  • Microsoft Windows
  • Windows XP SP3
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.0Ghz Processor
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 8 GB free disk space
  • DVD Drive for disc-based installation
  • 256 MB ATI 2600 XT/nVidia 7900 GS video card, or Core i3 integrated graphics
  • DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
  • Internet connection and a Steam account for authentication

Recommended​

• Windows Vista SP2/Windows 7
  • 1.8 GHz Quad Core Processor
  • 4 GB RAM
  • 8 GB free disk space
  • DVD Drive
  • 512 MB ATI 4800/nVidia 9800 or better video card

Mac​
  • Mac OS 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
  • 2.6 GHz Quad Core Processor
  • 4 GB RAM
  • Video Memory: 512MB

Actually for OSX you posted the Recommended, the Minimum is
Operating System: 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD2600
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8600
Video Memory (VRam): 256 MB
Media Required: DVD-ROM

Top Bottom