Civilization 5

That's a very interesting complexity you've proposed.

I suppose I can't really make any opinions on it until I see the mechanisms in action.

I've been trying to formulate the idea in my head so it works out, but I'm having a hard time deciding how food would work.

the easiest way would probably to have each tile contain only one "person" ... and perhaps that "person" could be assigned a stat of population density.

Therefore each individual tile is assigned a different personality type (with types repeating of course) ... now with population growth, trade, etc, different tiles can gain higher pop densities than others, making that tile more important to "make happy" than the low density tiles.

So early on you want to make the farmers happy, while in the industrial/modern era you may get more cost/benefit efficiency if you make the city-folk happy instead.

Also, things like religious preferences (and tech/luxury/culture preferences) could be influenced by proximity/duration/ and culture.

So, lets say half the world was Buddhist and the other half Confucian. If the Buddhists took over the whole world, then there would be major unrest in the Confucian half, for a time (say a century or so), but eventually they would start to lean Buddhist as well.

Equally as important, each tile starts with 0 preference, but as religions start to get founded, preference starts to spread slowly across the planet ... usually skipping a few tiles (making a randomized grid pattern with fewer instances the farther away from the holy city).

Lets say, within a radius of 5 tiles, about 75% of those have an 80% or higher preference of that religion. If you extend that another 5 tiles, about 75% of those will have a 50% or higher preference of that religion. Another 5 tiles and this is 50% will have a 25% or higher preference. This isn't instant, but rather max values for the passive spread of that holy city.

Now, temples and cathedrals (religious buildings) will act as waypoints/new nodes ... which will network the spread. Naturally temples near the Holy city will have a synergistically stronger impact on passive spread ... but even the weaker "far away" temples are necessary because in order to get past a certain radius (10 tiles strong pref. 15-20 tiles weak pref.) you will need temples farther out.

An example, is that if a city has all religious buildings and IS the holy city, and no other religion is present, EVERY tile in influence of that city will have 100% religious preference of that religion.

If other religions are present, it will still be easy without foreign relig. buildings ... but with multi relig buildings it will be impossible to have high preference for any one religion ... unless you had nearby inquisitors to "suppress" opposing religions for a number of turns, I suppose.

Top Bottom