Civilization 6 for Mac?? Release date?

Honestly, I've been running V on my air from 2012 with mods, without any problems and it has the 4000HD chip. Does that bode well?

I have a macbook pro from 2012 with the 4000HD chips and don't have problems with neither CiV nor BE. But the laptop gets quite hot. I still doubt civvi will perform well though... as long as it starts, I'll play in strategic mode probably.

I have a macbook pro from 2012 with the 4000HD chips and don't have problems with neither CiV nor BE. But the laptop gets quite hot. I still doubt civvi will perform well though... as long as it starts, I'll play in strategic mode probably.

Yeah the heat's annoying, but livable.

My air went survived a house fire in 2013 and had to get a new logic board, but V ran fine on it before then even. It's a trooper. (Man I hope 6 works!)

Honestly, I've been running V on my air from 2012 with mods, without any problems and it has the 4000HD chip. Does that bode well?
Sorry, but I don’t think you should be too optimistic. I was inspired by this thread to see what titles Feral Interactive is offering.
http://www.feralinteractive.com/en/mac-games/

I also kept an eye out for specs. I saw this a lot (emphasis added):
The following graphics cards are not supported: AMD Radeon HD 4xxx series, ATI HD2xxx series, ATI X1xxx series, Intel HD3000, Intel HD6000, Intel Iris 5100, Intel GMA series, Intel Iris 6100, Intel HD4000, Intel HD5300, Intel HD5000, NVIDIA 3xx series, NVIDIA 9xxx series, NVIDIA 7xxx series, NVIDIA 1xx series and NVIDIA 8xxx series.

Civ V and BE also don't officially support the Intel 4000HD. Not that that makes me more optimistic though.
I am not finding that. See:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/civilization-v-campaign-edition/id439924718
Hit the “...more” link.
SPECIAL INFORMATION ABOUT CIVILIZATION V: CAMPAIGN EDITION
Integrated video chipsets are not supported GMA 950: Mac Mini(2006,2007), iMac(2006), Macbook(2006,2007) GMA X3100: Macbook(2007,2008), MacBook Air(2008) Intel HD Graphics 3000
Civilization V Campaign Edition does not utilize Steam for encryption and will not work with Steam Civilization V DLC.
In order to run the game with satisfactory performance, your Mac must meet these minimum system requirements: 2.4 GHz CPU Speed | 2 GB RAM | 6.0 GB free disk space | (ATI): Radeon 2600; (NVidia): GeForce 8800 | 256 MB VRam
Recommended System Requirements: CPU Speed: 2.6 GHz | Memory: 4 GB or higher | Video RAM: 512 MB
So the HD4000 is not in the “not supported” list.
Nor is it in the “satisfactory performance” list.

Nice to see the CE version being sold on the cheap. Anyone know when that happened?

That's the reason I "upgraded" to a refurb Mid 2012 MBP for BE last year (Geforce GT 650M). That model laptop has more bang for the buck and is better for gaming than ANY laptop they've made since.

Let us know how well that works for Civ 6. There's a Retina version at reasonable prices on EBay and that might be just the thing to save me from buying a PC laptop.

Let us know how well that works for Civ 6. There's a Retina version at reasonable prices on EBay and that might be just the thing to save me from buying a PC laptop.

I'm hoping it'll be good enough. I think it should be, but I'm waiting til I see some requirements before I pull the trigger.

I just got in touch with Brad Oliver via twitter. Feral Interactive are not porting Civ 6 to Mac. Safe to assume that means Aspyr again.

I just got in touch with Brad Oliver via twitter. Feral Interactive are not porting Civ 6 to Mac. Safe to assume that means Aspyr again.

Or Firaxis may have its own team finally.

Or Firaxis may have its own team finally.

Nah, if that were the case they'd been telling us a release date or at least an ETA. Other possibility is that they haven't even chosen a porting company yet, but I think that's unlikely.

I ran Civ V on a minimum spec'd iMac from 2007 and it ran surprisingly decent. Although i didnt buy the game until late so civ was well patched.

That iMac started to slow down so i have since bought a 2010 5,1 Mac Pro and upgraded it. Patiently waiting on Civ VI :)

I ran Civ V on my Mac Mini (late 2012) quite successfully, but as time went by it started to load slower and slower, taking over five minutes usually, despite regular cleaning. Three months ago I splashed out on a top-of-the-range iMac and it runs like a dream. I'm fairly confident it'll handle Civ VI.

God of Kings, I know. I didn't really want to wait; if I thought that I'd never really buy anything as I'd always be waiting.

I guess because I don't mess around with mods much, I don't feel the same about Aspyr. In fact, I have been very happy with Aspyr these last several years. I have played every game of Civilization and the ports have gotten better and better and faster over the years and since Aspyr took over the Mac ports. I remember Civ 3 for Mac took FOREVER to come out and was buggy just as long. Forget the name of that first company. Brad Oliver saved the day for us Mac users. Then Aspyr got Civ 4 and went back and re-ported Civ 3 for a gold complete edition if I remember correctly? Anyway, Civ 5 ports seemed faster and sooner and less buggy. And someone from Aspyr sometimes posts (or used to) in the Civfanatics Mac forums with info, don't know if he's still around but I liked that.

I'm downloading it on Steam now. :love:

Top Bottom