Civilization 6 for Mac?? Release date?

iamliberal

Prince
So it looks like Civ 6 release for PC is announced for October 2016... any word on Mac release??

[Oops didn't realize I was in BE forum, my mistake; and can't see how to move or delete the post]

There's been no word on the release date for Mac, but they made it seem like it would be released at the same time or around the same time. There's also been no word on if Aspyr is doing the Mac release, although I would be surprised if they weren't, they also did Civ BE. If they are, they are generally pretty prompt and deliver the Mac versions and updates fairly quickly after each release

The only word on Mac release so far is that there will be one. No further details have been provided.

Does anyone remember by how much the Mac release of Civ5 was delayed compared to Windows? That would probably give us a sensible estimate.

Does anyone remember by how much the Mac release of Civ5 was delayed compared to Windows? That would probably give us a sensible estimate.

Release date(s) for Civilization 5
Microsoft Windows
NA: September 21, 2010
EU: September 24, 2010
OS X
November 23, 2010
Linux
June 10, 2014

Source: Wikipedia

Hm. If the pattern holds, then we'll get civ 6 for Mac around Christmas time. I wonder whether we'll be able to grab it in some sale.

Mac version definitely won't be out the same day as the Windows version. Aspyr can't start porting it until the code is finished, and Firaxis are clearing still tweaking things. They'd want it out before Xmas though, so I'm expecting late November at the earliest.

Mac version definitely won't be out the same day as the Windows version. Aspyr can't start porting it until the code is finished, and Firaxis are clearing still tweaking things. They'd want it out before Xmas though, so I'm expecting late November at the earliest.

It's 2016, does Aspyr still holds monopoly for Mac gaming? I hope Firaxis could do that on their own.

It's 2016, does Aspyr still holds monopoly for Mac gaming? I hope Firaxis could do that on their own.

It's not that Aspyr have a monopoly, it's that most gaming companies (including Firaxis) don't have an in-house Mac team. For most game companies, said cost of setting such a team up and maintaining it simply isn't worth the potential revenue. Mac gaming is a pretty small market compared to PCs and consoles. Macs also tend to be well behind the curve when it comes to graphics cards and drivers, so in the end it's just cheaper and easier to rely on porting companies like Aspyr and Feral Interactive.

I hope they choose Feral Interactive for Civ6. They did a really good job on the X-Com ports and made much more effort to support mods. Unlike Aspyr, who can't be bothered.

Well, considering it is a brand new engine, Firaxis may have considered porting as part of its design. Since the game is distributed exclusively through Steam, it is not unthinkable that Firaxis will rely on Steam's libraries to ease porting to macOS and Linux.

But there have been little talk about this from Firaxis and 2K games, so it might be too early to speculate. But indeed, considering we are talking about a brand new engine, anything is likely.

It's not that Aspyr have a monopoly, it's that most gaming companies (including Firaxis) don't have an in-house Mac team. For most game companies, said cost of setting such a team up and maintaining it simply isn't worth the potential revenue. Mac gaming is a pretty small market compared to PCs and consoles. Macs also tend to be well behind the curve when it comes to graphics cards and drivers, so in the end it's just cheaper and easier to rely on porting companies like Aspyr and Feral Interactive.

I hope they choose Feral Interactive for Civ6. They did a really good job on the X-Com ports and made much more effort to support mods. Unlike Aspyr, who can't be bothered.

If Paradox can do it, then I think Firaxis can as well - and all their grand strategy titles now come on Mac simultaneously with the PC release (not to mention, companies such as Blizzard and Maxis have been doing that for years, but I think Paradox is a better comparison in terms of sales).

I think the view that Mac OS sales are not worth a dual platform release is frankly speaking quite outdated. A lot of gamers now have Macs (and use consoles for more action-based games, such as Witcher 3) and especially when it comes to games for more mature players, it is a vibrant market.

Edit: and there is also an advantage of the MacOS market still being relatively small so potentially a game can sell better on it than on the PC market (proportionally to the size of the customer base) because it has less competition.

Post BNW mods work well in Civ5 actually. It's integrated through steam seamlessly.

As long as the mod doesn't change the dll of course, but that's to be expected I think.

If Paradox can do it, then I think Firaxis can as well - and all their grand strategy titles now come on Mac simultaneously with the PC release (not to mention, companies such as Blizzard and Maxis have been doing that for years, but I think Paradox is a better comparison in terms of sales).

Blizzard have ceased Mac development of all new titles, including Overwatch, because they consider Apple's graphics support and hardware insufficient. The big game companies aren't going to take Mac gaming seriously until Apple does.

As for Civ6, the current line-up of Macs are going to struggle to run it. Many struggle to run Civ5. Despite the less 'realistic' graphics in Civ6 (which I really like), they'll definitely be more resource intensive than Civ5. More animation, for a start.

I think the view that Mac OS sales are not worth a dual platform release is frankly speaking quite outdated. A lot of gamers now have Macs (and use consoles for more action-based games, such as Witcher 3) and especially when it comes to games for more mature players, it is a vibrant market.

I agree, but it's a perception that's hard to shake. What is making a difference though, is iOS gaming. That's a huge market, and once a game is ported to iOS, it's not too much of a leap to get it running on the Mac as well. This has led to a lot of big titles, albeit a few years old, coming to both platforms. What we need is the reverse situation: developers doing dual platform releases of their new games, knowing there's further money to be made down the line with an iOS port. Again, this relies on Apple committing to proper graphics support.

As long as the mod doesn't change the dll of course, but that's to be expected I think.

The DLL is what I'm referring to. With Civ4 and Civ5, Aspyr deliberately folded the DLL into the application itself. If they hadn't done this, we could have figured out a way to take a mod's source code and compile it for Mac. I contacted Aspyr about this prior to Civ5's launch but they flat out refused to consider doing it differently, stating that they had no obligation or interest in supporting modding. This was their attitude for Civ4 too, shipping it with Python 2.3 despite the Windows version launching with Python 2.4. Refusing to fix Mac-specific bugs and memory leaks that you only noticed if the game was modded. And the only reason we even had a game editor in Civ3 is because one of their (now former) employees, Brad Oliver, put it together in his spare time.

As a Mac modder, I'll be very disappointed if it's Aspyr doing the port again.

Top Bottom