Civilization Epochs

Been a while since I posted here - I'm working on the Minor Civilizations component mod. It's going well - making progress reasonably fast. I should have Gold Investment working by the end of next week, and will probably publish that as a separate mod component.

For some reasons, my game with Polynesia, there's absolutely no wonders available. Either for the AI or me...

I'll get you a solution later today. Probably something is broken in the Wonders file.

If possible, I'll try and make it compatible with your saved game, but no promises - that's not always possible.

Thanks Drawmeus, I will continue to test this version! It's okay if I need to restart, arn't we still in Alpha? :p

We are! Though this was the kind of thing I should have caught - unfortunately, as I'm the entire game design, engineering, and QA departments all rolled into one and doing this basically in my spare time, things slip through the cracks occasionally.

We are! Though this was the kind of thing I should have caught - unfortunately, as I'm the entire game design, engineering, and QA departments all rolled into one and doing this basically in my spare time, things slip through the cracks occasionally.

I've been using Paz's method for ensuring DB files load completely. That's incredibly useful in case like this.

Oh, no worries, I knew what I was signing up for. Just keep reporting those bugs as you find them, that's the best way to help :)

So, I owe you guys an update today...

...the update is I'm maybe 3-5 hours of work from releasing a mod component replacing Gold Gifts with Investments, where you can give gold per turn to a city-state in return for influence return, with the gold per turn having concrete effects (granting them a military unit every few turns, or growing their city faster, or giving them money and production).

Just doing UI polish, tying up a couple loose ends (Quests and one Social Policy), notifications, and then I need to hook up the AI for it (but that's not very difficult, I promise), and it'll be ready to go. I'll start on the next Epochs version after that goes live.

A thorny crash bug is seriously delaying things - I had hoped to have the new mod component out today. That won't happen.

Sorry folks. Delays all around.

Version .9 is here! Took longer than expected due to real life happening - you don't want to hear the boring details but I basically had to put down modding entirely for a full 3 weeks, had almost no free time for anything.

Notes:
Spoiler :

• Integrated City-State Investments into Epochs.
  • Moai now require Civil Service to build.
  • CS Investments: Notifications no longer give away unmet players.
  • CS Investments: City-State Popup Investing mouseover no longer gives away unmet players.
  • Emigration: Converted to whoward's UI - Notifications format for notifications.
  • City combat strength slightly reworked - if a city has a unit garrisoned, if the city's total modified combat strength is less than the defense strength of that unit, the city will use that unit's defense strength.
  • CS Investments: "Stop investing" notification text fixed.
  • CS Investments: Now fires a notification whenever a City-State which you're investing in gets a free new unit.
  • Cleaned up a lot of the mod's lua code. This should improve turn times (note: they'll still be rather long).
  • Tech Diffusion: Now goes much faster between civilizations with Open Borders.
  • CS Investments: AI players will now stop investing in City-States which they are allies with if there are no other players within 20 influence of them.
  • Tech Diffusion: Notifications converted to whoward's UI - Notifications format.

No new civs in this version - the Polynesia release was a bit of a fiasco, so I'm being a bit more careful about them. Random aside: Polynesia with Tech Diffusion is AMAZING. Make contact with everyone early, give the whole world a tech bonus (but most of all yourself). Polynesia shouldn't need to focus on research until at least the Industrial Era, they should keep up without even trying, as long as they do their explorer thing.

This doesn't sound like a huge list, but the comparative difficulty of working in the DLL accounts for the difference.

One new bug: Notifications for Tech Diffusion and Emigration show the generic ! icon. I'm still trying to debug it, but after 6 or 7 hours, it wasn't worth holding up the build for. All other functionality for those notifications is working, they just have the wrong icon.

I have downloaded and played your mod. The tech trees and new units were amazing and fun to play. However the re-balancing of the happiness and economy is incredibly difficult, beyond the point of being "fun". Could you release just the tech tree as a mod by its self? I would love to play this mod and not be permanently in a economic depression past the classical era.

Thanks for the feedback!

If I can ask a couple quick questions - what difficulty are you playing on? What difficulty do you play on in the base game where you have the most fun?

Unfortunately, extracting the tech tree would be an incredibly difficult process, as it would have to include all of the buildings and such, which are 90% of the economy and happiness balance changes (so to actually make it better for you, I'd have to also rebalance all the numbers). I would much rather find a way to ease up the economy and happiness difficulty for people who don't prefer that style of gameplay in those areas of the game.

I'm willing to do whatever work is necessary to make this fun at all difficulty levels, and since I'm using a custom DLL, most options to get there are on the table.

I always play on prince for the most part, gives anyone a fair-ish chance to win.

The shear growth and amount of things you can do within the mod during a normally boring ancient and classical era was fun and refreshing. However the problems of higher populations becomes a burden almost 2 eras earlier than normal. Once all the population are huge pre-medieval era, there isn't any way to manage the unhappiness and the large variety of new pre-modern buildings creates a huge building maintenance cost issue which is is horribly compound due to shrinking miserable cities.

so long story short, not enough early happiness managers and waaaaaay to much building maintences, buit other wise very fun. :)

Top Bottom