Civilization I music

darko82

Emperor
Does anyone know the names of the each diplomacy music ( melodies ) in Civ I ? I know these are real tune, for example, by Mozart. If you know the tunes, please let me know what aret names !!

Sorry for topping this old thread, but no one had answered yet, and IMHO it's better than creating a new one.

I only have Civ DOS, so I'm not 100% sure if there are any differences to other Civ I versions, but I'm quite confident they aren't too big :)

Russians:
"Song of the Volga Boatmen", Traditional
Sheet: http://www.yagelski.com/sbox/music/songofthevolgaboatmen.gif

Germans:
J. S. Bach,
"Variatio 4: Lo stesso movimento"

French:
"La Marseillaise" (French national anthem), shortened

Americans:
"Battle Hymn of the Republic", but in a minor instead of a major key

English:
Jean-Joseph Mouret,
"Symphonies and Fanfares for the King's Supper"
(opening theme for "Masterpiece Theatre")

A Chinese student visiting me recognized the Chinese tune (long time ago), too bad I didn't ask her to write down the name :(

Excellent Gowron!
Can anyone complete the list (Romans, Greeks, Indians, Mongols, Chinese, Aztecs, Zulus, Babylonians, Egyptians)?
It would be fun to record a compilation of CIV 1 music!

Germans:
J. S. Bach,
"Variatio 4: Lo stesso movimento"

That's not the music for the Germans in civilization 1. The Germans music is
"Rondo alla Turca" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Or are we talking about different civilization versions? At least the Amiga version has that music.

Or maybe you've confused that music with another game, I think "Lo stesso movimento" can be found in the game "Pirates!", also by Microprose, after you make a successful plunder.

That's not the music for the Germans in civilization 1. The Germans music is
"Rondo alla Turca" by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Or are we talking about different civilization versions? At least the Amiga version has that music.
I was referring to Civ DOS.
So it seems that the Amiga and DOS versions use different melodies.

What about the other above themes on the Amiga, are they the same?

Dunno why I didn't think it if sooner ^^ :hammer2:
The Germans in Civ 1 are replacing the Turks. Maybe Mozart's Allegretto "Alla Turca" was meant to be the Turkish theme, and they didn't change it in the Amiga version.

The Germans in Civ 1 are replacing the Turks. Maybe Mozart's Allegretto "Alla Turca" was meant to be the Turkish theme, and they didn't change it in the Amiga version.

Right, that sounds logical. Didn't think of it either, maybe because Mozart was Ger.... eh ... Austrian. But now that you mention it, the theme sounds more Turkish than German.

Funny that the turks were meant to be in civ 1, were removed and have not been found in any civilization game since. If I recall correctly.

The Amiga version contains two music files for the Germans (under different names). Whoever has the Amiga version, just go through all the music files and play them. You will come across a few music files that were not used in the game. One of them is the version that was used for the PC Germans. Another was a replacement for the CIV celebration music.

The Amiga version contains two music files for the Germans (under different names). Whoever has the Amiga version, just go through all the music files and play them. You will come across a few music files that were not used in the game. One of them is the version that was used for the PC Germans. Another was a replacement for the CIV celebration music.

A lot of civ-files are files without extension. How do I know which are music files? E.g. the file "hamarabi" doesn't play with my pc music software (Audacity).

I was referring to Civ DOS.
So it seems that the Amiga and DOS versions use different melodies.

What about the other above themes on the Amiga, are they the same?

The Amiga version uses Rondo alla Turca, the PC version Goldberg Variations, as you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2ZPvUhGLI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgaB6z_fnO4

I always preferred the Amiga sound.

Right, that sounds logical. Didn't think of it either, maybe because Mozart was Ger.... eh ... Austrian. But now that you mention it, the theme sounds more Turkish than German.

Well, until 1945, Austrians considered themselves a German tribe, just like the Bavarians, Saxons, or Prussians...
Despite of its title, I always connect Rondo alla Turca with Mozart and Vienna rather than with Turkey.

Does anyone know Igudesman & Joo? They do Rondo alla Turca like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNtYYuWILNE

Sounds good compared to the Sound Blaster, whose drivers were totally bugged but doesn't hold up to MT-32 or even General MIDI via AWE32. Not a great use of the Amiga's abilities IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4582ODp1ow

I'm pretty sure he's using DOSBox emulated MT-32, which pretty much everyone agrees pales to the real thing, but it's still the fullest-sounding sound method even in its diminished state.

This thread needs some full-blown MT-32

Attachments

• CIV1 - Indian.rar
    1.9 MB · Views: 293
Here are (most of) the MIDIs from Civ I:

Civilization I MIDIs

Some notes:

These were all made from raw MIDI commands that I captured during actual gameplay (Using the General MIDI patch from MPS), so some of them will "over loop" a bit.

You will see some MIDIs name <whatever>2.mid. This is NOT the "short" versions of a country's anthem, just a re-instrumentation done for personal preference.

I've tried getting Egypt three or four times, and it always has an odd bug (Some MIDI players won't play it, others have a hang in certain sections, etc). I have a .wma version here that's based on the MIDI, with some wave editing to fix a couple of problems.

Enjoy

List of files in the rar:

American.mid
American2.mid
Aztec.mid
Babylonian.mid
Babylonian2.mid
Building.mid
Chinese.mid
Chinese2.mid
Egypt.mid
English.mid
French.mid
French2.mid
German.mid
Greek.mid
Greek2.mid
India.mid
India2.mid
Intro.mid
Mongols.mid
Mongols2.mid
Roman.mid
Roman2.mid
Russia.mid
World Building.mid
Zulu.mid

The links above are to WMA versions of the MIDIs using a high-quality soundfont.
As I get time, I'll add more links to the WMA'd versions in the list above.

Not in the MIDI, but as WMA:

Aztec2

--
psz

Hi guys
I'm enjoying playing Civ 1 again (originally played it more than half my life ago!). I do hear music when meeting other Civs but am I missing music from in-game generally (like in Civ 2)? I can't remember so would appreciate a reminder. Mind you, I originally played on an Amiga 1200 so maybe that version is different.

Thanks

Top Bottom