Civilization Icon Template

sukritact

Artist and Modder
Just decided to share the template I've been using to make icons. It's very simple to use. You just need to decide on a background color, a foreground color, and the actual symbol you want to use for your icon.

just copy the layer style to the icon and you're done!

Some examples of icons done using this template:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Icon Template.7z
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,194
Great Template, here are some more icons I've created with it:

Spoiler :

I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I'm straight up trying to figure out how to work this template. I'm trying to use this template to remake Poland and Austria's icons - some guy in the Civ5 discussion forums wants their colors swapped - and can't figure out how.

I guess my main problem is with Layer 4 (that's at least it's name in Gimp - not sure if you named it something different in Photoshop) - you fill in that layer with a color to change the color of the icon, no? But the color gets pretty distorted. Poland's red, with the RGB values calculated straight from the BNW XML, changes to a shade deep reddish-orange. (See attached thumbnails for comparison) How do I stop that from happening?

Been screwing around with the template for a while and finally got the background color right but at the expense of distorting the sheen layer. There's got to be some way...

Attachments

• TemplateProblem_Case1.PNG
    TemplateProblem_Case1.PNG
    8 KB · Views: 536
  • TemplateProblem_Case2.PNG
    TemplateProblem_Case2.PNG
    38.5 KB · Views: 536
I'm fairly certain this is an problem of compatibility between Gimp and Photoshop. The template relies heavily on blending modes and layer styles; which might not translate well into Gimp.

In terms of usage I'm unsure how this works in Gimp, but for background color, the layer which you modify is named "Layer 31", "Layer 4" should be in a group that provides the highlights and shadows on the overall icon.

The symbol for the icon should be replaced, all you need to do, is copy the layer style and apply it onto the new symbol which you're using.

As an example, here's a recreated Poland icon made based off the XML values:

Edit: Yep, just checked it out, template looks completely rotten in Gimp, you'll need to get Photoshop.

It should also be noted that when experimenting with icon colours - it's far easier to apply a "Color Overlay" Blend style to both the BG and the icon. That way when you change the colours via that particular menu - you can see the results live.

It should also be noted that when experimenting with icon colours - it's far easier to apply a "Color Overlay" Blend style to both the BG and the icon. That way when you change the colours via that particular menu - you can see the results live.

I have a personal preference for a clipping mask followed by colour adjustments via the hue/saturation adjustments.

This template is the best thing ever. I've already made a bunch of stuff with it. Here, have a look

Spoiler :
Slovakia

Czechoslovakia

For a friend

(The original is Pikachu in a Link costume, which is his avatar)

4 c h a n

(anyone wanna make this a civ?)

Filthy Frank

This is a godsend, thanks so much Sukritact

Here´s my first icon :)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• First Icon.JPG
    First Icon.JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 5,573
I think I'm just an idiot but I can't get this to work for me. The icon comes out extremely tiny and pixelated and the actual emblem in the middle looks horrible when I replace it with a pomegranate. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

You need to make sure the icon is extremely clear and not pixelated.

Thanks so much for this. I'm not too familiar with PS but this is so much quicker than gruelling through on GIMP.

I'm assuming the template is in the largest size needed for a civ icon when modding? Or if not, is there a simple way to scale it up?

Here's my icon, I'm pretty happy with it but any tips would be nice:
Spoiler :

And a second one I'm much happier with:
Spoiler :

This is probably the best icon-making template out there. The one problem with it is it gives stupid people like me the chance to do stupid things.
Spoiler :

I rest my case.

Sukritact, does this icon template work for Civ 6. Can we create Civ 6 icon using this template. You feedback is much appreciated. Thank you

Top Bottom