1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization II 64-bit Editbox Patcher (MGE+ToT) (Also works on Win10 1709 Fall Creators Update)

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by FoxAhead, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Dobbs

Dobbs Chieftain

Thanks so much for all the time you have spent on this.
    I have tried to follow your instructions but I am running into a problem.
    I turned on Legacy settings, installed the game, and downloaded the patch.
    when I try to apply the patch I get the following:

ersion '5.2.5f Multiplayer 16-November-98 ' detected.
    READY TO PATCH!
    You can click 'Patch!' now (backup file will be created).
    Error: Cannot open file "C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroProse Software\Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition\civ2.exe". Access is denied
    Patching failed.

any ideas what I am doing wrong?

2. Dobbs

Dobbs Chieftain

It looks like I can answer my own question.
    I was poking around other forums and saw a thread about short file names. I changed the install file to CIV MGE directly on the C drive.
    Then i patched and it worked! I am still trying to figure out the movies issue, but at least i can play now. thanks again.

3. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

Dear, MastermindX, Excuse me, please, that I ignored your message for almost a month. I wanted to answer you, but I was busy and constantly postponed it for later.
    Firstly, I am glad to see you here after so long absence on the forum. Secondly, I wanted to express my gratitude for the patch that you gave to the world 10 years ago. It allowed me to play the game without crashes all these years. And it also inspired me to sit down at once and start to learn disassembly from scratch.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    catalin72 likes this.
  4. mwysocz

mwysocz Chieftain

Thank you for the patch - works great :)

5. m4maarten2mge

m4maarten2mge Chieftain

Dear FoxAhead, so cool that you are helping everyone out! I have recently run into problems as well, and your latest Civ2x64EditboxPatcher hasn't worked for me. I have Windows 10, version 1709, build 16299.371, and when I run your patch, this message comes up:

Version '5.4.0f Multiplayer 26-March-99 Patch 3 ' detected.
    The file is already patched.
    CAN NOT PATCH!

Perhaps you could offer me any advice on what to try next, I'm keen to keep playing Civ2 MGE and build a new scenario. Any tips would be much appreciated!

6. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

Well, that means that file you want to patch is already patched and you can play without crashes.

7. m4maarten2mge

m4maarten2mge Chieftain

Ah yes, I made an error! I used your new Civ2x64EditboxPatcher on civ2.exe, which now works fine (with CD) - so that's great :)
    However, I have been using the no-cd patch shortcut to play on my laptop without using the external CD-reader, and I was wondering if there's a way to make your new patch also work without CD? Just for comfort - at least I can play now! :)

8. Carsten Odgaard

Carsten Odgaard Chieftain

My civ2 games crashed after the Windows 1709 update. I've found this patch and now it works perfectly. Thank you very much, I've really missed being able to play Civ2, which for me is the real thing.

9. Alexcosta

Alexcosta Chieftain

Dear FoxAhead,

Thank you for your great job!
    I've been played for years on my Win7 PC with Mastermind patch with no problems.
    Now, I got a new Win10 PC (version installed 1709 - 16299.371) and I find the error. I am trying to use your new patch, but it does not work!!
    Let me explain: the application runs but it remains in the taskbar as an icon and does not work. I try to launch it from different paths, but the result is the same.
    What can I do, in your opinion?

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

10. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

Hm... that's strange. I just updated my Win 10 to version 1803 (OS Build 17134.81) and my patcher launches fine. May be you could check some compatibility settings for it?

11. Sark6354201

Sark6354201 Chieftain

Thanks for this patch FoxAhead, it worked perfectly for me!

12. psychoticcheese

psychoticcheese Chieftain

Hey there. Found this through a deep dive on Reddit.

I'm trying to play on Windows 10 and everytime it gets to name something (like my ruler name) it crashes the game. I tried to launch the patch, but it doesn't seem to allow me to actually use it. It opens and seems to be running but I can't actually open the window (Like it is running off screen). Normal methods (Like hitting Cascade Windows or shift right clicking and hitting the option move normally available) does not seem to actually work.

Any ideas?

Edit: It seems I am likely having a similar issue to AlexCosta. It opens and if I hover over the icon I can see that it is trying to do something, but it doesn't actually let me use it at all. It is like it isn't actually opening (or rather that is what it looks like at first glance and further inspection makes it appear that it is running, but off screen)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  13. FoxAhead

FoxAhead Chieftain

Hi!
    Again I updated my Win10 and tested. On my computer it works fine. OS version is 1803 (OS Build 17134.112).
    Have you tried to run as Administrator? Or try some compatibility settings? (Though in my case it was not necessary).
    upload_2018-6-20_13-8-38.png