Civilization V and Beyond Earth require many tries to boot

JonnyBigBoss

Chieftain
I just got back into Civilization this week, and have run into an issue with both Civilization V and Civilization: Beyond Earth. In both cases, booting the game requires many tries. It seems to be getting worse, too. At first it took three boot attempts to start the game, and then it was around eight tries. Now it's around 30 to 50 tries. Both games are affected in the same way, and I have never experienced this with any other game.

The symptoms are as follows: I try to start the game, it starts a process that shows up in Task Manager. around 10 seconds later the process disappears and there is no error or warning.

I'm running the game on the following:

• Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Intel i5 3570k
  • 8GB G.SKILL DDR3
  • ASUS GTX 970
  • Crucial M500 SSD

I'm not running any third party anti-virus, and all my drivers are up-to-date. It's also worth noting that once I get in-game it runs very smoothly with no hiccups.

Any ideas?

This fixed it for me:

Thank you for contacting 2K Support and for your interest in Beyond Earth. I can certainly understand how encountering this type of issue may be frustrating to experience and I will do everything in my power to assist as best I can!

Firstly, please do each of the following, to ensure that the game and all its additionally required software is properly installed:

1. Verifying Game Cache
    · Load Steam.
    · From the Library section, right-click on the game and select “Properties” from the menu.
    · Select the “Local files” tab and click the “Verify integrity of game cache” button.
    · Steam will match the local files to the cloud files, and fix any errors it encounters.

2. Reinstalling DirectX
    · In the Steam installation folder of the game you’re having trouble with, there will be typically be a DirectX setup package.
    · Example file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meiers Civilization Beyond Earth\DirectX\
    · Find and run DXSETUP.exe
    · Reboot the computer (mandatory)

3. Reinstalling Vcredist
    · Navigate to your game’s steam folder – there will typically be a Vcredist folder.
    · Example file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meiers Civilization Beyond Earth\ _CommonRedist\vcredist\2012
    · Find and Run vcredist_x86.exe
    · Find and Run vcredist_x64.exe
    · Should the files already be installed, you will be prompted to either ‘uninstall’ or ‘repair’. Choose ‘repair’.
    · Reboot the computer (mandatory)

4. Updating your Audio/Video Drivers
Most PC issues can be easily resolved by updating your Audio & Video Drivers. Here's a few links to help you with that.

Audio Drivers

Video Drivers

Most video card manufacturers allow you to download their card drivers directly from their website. Here's a list from where you can do that.

Top Bottom