Civilization V excel editor

Ahwaric

Shrubbery-hugger
It took some time, but here is a microsoft excel editor to easily create xlm files.
I am aware it is much less usefull in Civ5 than it was in Civ4, but might help with creation of total-conversion mods or some files of smaller mods.

It has currently loaded all the information form appropiate unmodded Civ5 files.
So, if you want to compare some values for i.e. units or leaders, it is much easier to do so in this editor than in raw xml file.
Exporting will create files that should contain all required information and work fine if you use them to replace the original Civ5 files. If there are any problems, let me know.

Please note that I have reordered tags to display simillar ones together, and to make exporting easier. It does not create problems.

There are several problems though:
  • Most of the files contain Tables that list all tags the xml contains. It will probably have to be removed to allow mods to work. But for now, I have decided to leave it as it is
  • The output files are set to be created at /XML directory, so you have to create one in the directory you put the editor. To change that directory or the output file name, you have to edit the visul basic.

Please feel free to use the editor any way you like.
If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know.
I do not intend to update the editor with further Civ5 patches. It is a by-product of my work on Civ5 mod, so I will focus on that.
I will, however, try to make it as modding friendly as possible.

Credits
This editor was created anew, but I have used two already existing editors to teach myself how to do it. So, I would like to express my thanks to:
Talchas for original Civ4 editor
Kael for FfH2 version, which served as a model to creating this one

Edit: Updated 05.02.2011

Attachments

• Civilization V.zip
    532.2 KB · Views: 1,312
Well, no posts so I am not sure if it helped anyone.
Not ecouraging... ;)

But as there was a patch recently and I am still working with base civ5 xml files (as creating proper total conversion mod is not possible yet), I have decided to make an update of the editor.
It contains the following changes:
  • Added all changes from the Patch 1.0.0.62 that applied to the sheets in the editor
  • expanded improvements sheet to include tags unused by basic game, but allowing i.e. recreating cottage-hamlet-village-town mechanics
  • fixed BUILDING_MONUMENT requirement in the prereqbuildingclass in temple entry
  • fixed a few trouble with xml files creation

File updated in the first post

It is unfortunate that you don't get more replies or encouragement. I thank you for these charts, and all the work you've put in them. It is much, much better than looking at the raw .xml files to check for vanilla values. I hope you continue to put out helpful charts like these.

Well, no posts so I am not sure if it helped anyone.
Not ecouraging... ;)

But as there was a patch recently and I am still working with base civ5 xml files (as creating proper total conversion mod is not possible yet), I have decided to make an update of the editor.
It contains the following changes:
  • Added all changes from the Patch 1.0.0.62 that applied to the sheets in the editor
  • expanded improvements sheet to include tags unused by basic game, but allowing i.e. recreating cottage-hamlet-village-town mechanics
  • fixed BUILDING_MONUMENT requirement in the prereqbuildingclass in temple entry
  • fixed a few trouble with xml files creation

File updated in the first post

I just started working on something like this. I did not know someone else had all ready done it. I would be interested in utilizing some of yours; but plan on using dynamic tables to write my rows. You have a lot of text hard coded in it looks like.

Do you mind if I use some of your work and reference you?

Sorry for long silence.

Anyway, here is an update. I have added art sheets to make creating unit art easy. Plus, the whole file was updated to last patch (.141? not sure the of the number), but I had no time yet to check if quickfix changed anything.

If anyone wnats to use this file or its parts (in any way you like), feel free to do so.

Looks very helpful... unfortunately I can't get the 'Export-button' to work under open-office.
(I guess the macro got lost during conversion)
Do you have a suggestion or could you put out an open-office version?

Thank you.

This is a very impressive Excel project. If I were into modifying the game XML files, this would definitely be very useful.

I am currently building an Excel city model, and I also find it far easier to view the game XML data in Excel rather than the raw XML files. I don't know if my city model will be useful for any reason, but if it turns out to be good for something, I will post it here. That being said, I have a few questions for you.

I didn't see any XML maps when I opened your Civilization V file. Since it looks like the only VBA code is for the export buttons on each sheet, I am assuming this means that the workbook will not update itself if the data changes with a new patch release. Is this correct, or did I miss something? I am also assuming that you did not enter all the data manually, so did you map the XML files in another workbook and cut, paste, and reformat the data?

This is slightly off topic, but it seems that there is some discrepancy between the XML game files and what happens in game with the Coal and Aluminum resources. Your project confirms what I saw in the game files, which is that the numbers for the production yield for the resources and improvements show Coal and Aluminum behaving exactly the same as Iron. However, in game, a mined hill with Iron has 5:c5production: and a mined hill with Coal or Aluminum has 6:c5production:. Why is this? Does it have something to do with the fact that the ResourceClassType for Iron is RESOURCECLASS_RUSH and the ResourceClassType for Coal and Aluminum is RESOURCECLASS_MODERN? I guess I could test this by changing the game XML file, but I am hesitant to start tinkering with those just yet. I will look for an answer to this one in the forums, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw it in here too.

Disregard the question about the Aluminum and Coal in my last post. I figured it out. It's in the Improvement Resource Type Yields table, and I didn't realize this was added on top of the mine improvement yield. That's why the Wheat farm and the Iron mine aren't listed in the same table. Those get no additional bonus.

Top Bottom