Civilization V

Aroddo

Emperor
Is there a way to make Civlization V fun? Like installing something like FFH for instance? :)

Up till now it's been quite a disappointment in the fun department.

Apparently the main problem is that Fireaxis haven't released the DLL access to CiV yet. I'm not going to pretend I truly understand what that means, but the gist of it is that serious modders can't really do much modding yet.

Apparently the main problem is that Fireaxis haven't released the DLL access to CiV yet. I'm not going to pretend I truly understand what that means, but the gist of it is that serious modders can't really do much modding yet.

Most of the really big changes to the game (adding new properties to units, changing how combat works, adding new mechanics, etc.) require DLL changes to actually do. In FfH, for example, things like the Illian/Malaskim terrain bonus, the spell system, alignment, unique religion effects, among many, many examples would be impossible to do, or very difficult to do, without DLL changes.

like the Illian/Malaskim terrain bonus, the spell system, alignment, unique religion effects, among many, many examples would be impossible to do, or very difficult to do, without DLL changes.

All of the specific examples above are possible in Civ5 without dll (though there are certainly other things that can't be done). In fact, 3 out of 4 of this list are in Spatz's mod. I just posted another thread on this topic, if you want to see what is being done.

All of the specific examples above are possible in Civ5 without dll (though there are certainly other things that can't be done). In fact, 3 out of 4 of this list are in Spatz's mod. I just posted another thread on this topic, if you want to see what is being done.

Was pointing out examples for Civ 4 rather than Civ 5 (Which I've seen examples of being more flexible.), more to get the general point across rather than point out specifics. (And even than, some of these in Civ 4 may be doable with Python, though in a more complex way.)

None of this detracts from the larger point, that a wide variety of things are either difficult or impossible to do without the DLL that an FfH like fantasy mod would need.

None of this detracts from the larger point, that a wide variety of things are either difficult or impossible to do without the DLL that an FfH like fantasy mod would need.

I can't disagree with your larger point, since I'm faced with these limits in my own modding. Of course, FFH (not FFH2!) was not a dll mod at all. It was only after the first expansion that FFH2 got going with all of its dll modification that you see now.

For my own modding, the dll delay has been a blessing. Most of us are barely learning to appreciate the significance of having DB access (add tables, modify existing tables, etc.), which is why we sometimes discover things we thought we couldn't do without dll but that we really could. From a purely organizational point of view, this is more important than dll (or it has been in my mod with large sets of civs, traits, leaders, etc. which are gained or changed in-game). Of course, we still hit the wall on some issues that should be trivial (e.g., updating a plot type graphic) without dll.

Top Bottom