[C3C] Civilopedia reports 2x shields required for buildings

Phillip J Wiecek

Chieftain
Why does Civilopedia report 2x shields required for buildings? For instance, It says that a Cathedral requires 160 shields but the construction box shows 80 no matter how many times I count them.

Could it have to do with the gamespeed you are playing on?

EDIT: And with that, I mean whether you have turned 'accelerated production' on. :p

Last edited:
You could also have accelerated production on. If all buildings are half-priced, this is the reason. If only a couple are half-priced, then you are seeing the benefits of your traits.

There is only one game speed for Civ 3, so this isn't the problem. If you are playing a modded game, though, the build costs could be altered without updating the civilopedia.

There is only one game speed for Civ 3, so this isn't the problem.
Wow. You are, of course, entirely correct - I was thinking of 'accelerated production', but my mind was stuck in Civilization IV land. :)

Though personally I would guess jarred!'s answer is the correct one.

If you're religious, religious buildings and half-priced. Same goes for a lot of the other traits: barracks and harbors are cheaper for militaristic, libs/unis/research labs for scientific...
This was going to be my guess too.

Below is a full list of trait-discounted (half-price) buildings (bold indicates that a building matches more than one trait):

Militaristic: Barracks, Harbour, Walls, Coastal Fortress (near-useless!), Civil Defence, Airport, SAM Battery
Religious: Temples, Cathedrals
Scientific: Library, University, Research Lab
Seafaring: Harbour, Coastal Fortress, Commercial Dock, Offshore Platform
Agricultural: Aqueduct, Solar Plant, Recycling Center

Industrious: None
Expansionist: None
Commercial: None [Marketplace, Harbour, Bank, Stock Exchange, Commercial Dock, Airport]

Buildings with the Commercial trait get no shield-discount, but are supported free by the Adam Smith's Trading Company Great Wonder.

Coastal Fortress (near-useless!)
This must be why it's so cheap. I must admit, I've never seen one in action that I can recall.
Buildings with the Commercial trait get no shield-discount, but are supported free by the Adam Smith's Trading Company Great Wonder.
I thought trade-based buildings were always supported free with Smith's, whether with Commercial or otherwise. At least, that's what the Civilopedia led me to believe. And if it only applies to Commercial, what good is it with non-Commercial civs?

This must be why it's so cheap. I must admit, I've never seen one in action that I can recall.
:lol:

Since the AI knows what you have built, and where, it knows to avoid sailing its ships past towns with Coastal Fortresses. So the only time a (human-built) Coastal Fortress will actually fire on a passing (AI) ship, is if the ship is actually forced to stay adjacent to that town as it moves, e.g. in a strait or fjord 1 tile wide.

CFs do also protect ships from naval bombardment (that is, the CF will take the hits first, until it's destroyed), but that in itself is not a great reason for building one, because it won't actually prevent the bombardment (and any WW you get from it). So it's generally better to spend those shields on building another Frigate or Destroyer, to go and sink the enemy ship.
I thought trade-based buildings were always supported free with Smith's, whether with Commercial or otherwise. At least, that's what the Civilopedia led me to believe. And if it only applies to Commercial, what good is it with non-Commercial civs?
You may have misunderstood me (sorry!)

Each building (and Small Wonder and Great Wonder) has trait-flags as well. The above list is for the buildings flagged as "Commercial".

Commercial Civs do not get those building-costs at a discount (e.g. a Harbour costs the full 60 shields, unless England or Rome -- which get a discount from being Seafaring and Militaristic, respectively).

But yes, any Civ which builds (or captures) Smiths -- not just the Commercial Civs -- does get the maintenance paid on all those buildings, in every town it owns.

I'm playing America, Industrious & Expansionist
When I start a new game I DO have the option for accelerated production. I don't remember If I selected it but I probably did.

Thanks all

I've been fired upon by an AI Coastal Fortress. Barely pinged the stout wooden decks on my Frigate.

Given that the AI tends to build lots of (unnecessary) buildings in their core cities, I'm not too surprised that the AI I was fighting had one. I'm disappointed in myself that I left my ship in range.

The Coastal Fortress is one of those buildings that a human player should never build but the AI wastes many shields on them.
The best is to remove the building from the game all together.

The Coastal Fortress...The best is to remove the building from the game all together.

Removing means modding - and if one mods the game it can also be modded, that this building becomes stronger. :) Per example in CCM the Coastal Fortresses autoproduce the immobile coastal artillery unit, that has a wider range to bombard bypassing ships and even has lethal sea bombardment.

Top Bottom