Civilopedia updating for v28

This seemed like the most appropriate thread, although I acknowledge that it's probably outdated.

I've updated the text for the Field Commander (\Assets\XML\Text\A_New_Dawn_Concept_Civ4GameText.xml).
Probably going to need some work from a native speaker.
I could also add the German translation, but as the mod itself isn't compatible (yet?) anyway, I didn't see the immediate need for that.
Code:
<Tag>TXT_KEY_CONCEPT_GREAT_COMMANDERS_PEDIA</Tag>
<English>[H1]Field Commanders[\H1][NEWLINE]Field Commanders are a new use for [LINK=UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL]Great Generals[\LINK]. Previously, players could only settle Great Generals in cities for XP, or attach them to a unit and give the unit immediate XP. Field Commanders give Great Generals a third ability, the ability to help lead troops in battle. While initially providing no benefit, a Field Commander will gain XP from successful combat events from other friendly units in its vicinity. When the Field Commander levels up, it will be able to choose promotions from a special promotion tree designed specifically for its use. The promotions don't help the Field Commander, nor can the Field Commander partake in any combat, but they will help nearby units. Units that are inside of the Commanders control range will receive the effects of the promotion, allowing for much more powerful armies on the battlefield, for offense and defense.[PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Control Range:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]Field Commander units have a control range, which initially is set to 1. This means that their promotions only take affect to troops on the same and immediatly adjacent tiles. As the range increases, so does the bonus of the promotions.[NEWLINE]A range of 2 (gained from [LINK=PROMOTION_OPERATIONS2]Operations II[\LINK]) means that the control range now mimics the "Big Fat Cross", the same area which is used to define the default city's workable area.[NEWLINE]The final range is 3 ([LINK=PROMOTION_OPERATIONS3]Operations III[\LINK]), increasing it even further and making the control area equivalent to the [LINK=CONCEPT_LARGER_CITIES]"mega-city"[\LINK] big fat cross available in Caveman2Cosmos.[PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Control Points:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]By default, a Field Commander unit can only support 5 battles. This means that the 6th fight within the control range, be it defending or attacking, will not benefit from the promotions anymore and will be considered a "regular" fight.[NEWLINE]Just as the control area, these control points can also be increased via the [LINK=PROMOTION_OPERATIONS1]Operations[\LINK] promotion line, up to a maximum of 25, equaling 25 fights.</English>

Btw, is there some place where I find more info about the Civilopedia / Seviopedia syntax? I was pretty irritated that I couldn't find any.

I would've also liked to add a new Unit entry for Field Commanders, but I'm not sure this is possible, as I suppose the Field Commanders are no separate units, but rather Great Generals with a special invisible promotions?

I also looked to somehow edit the entry for Great Generals, but I'm not entirely sure how these entries are set up yet.

This seemed like the most appropriate thread, although I acknowledge that it's probably outdated.

I've updated the text for the Field Commander (\Assets\XML\Text\A_New_Dawn_Concept_Civ4GameText.xml).
Probably going to need some work from a native speaker.
I could also add the German translation, but as the mod itself isn't compatible (yet?) anyway, I didn't see the immediate need for that.
Code:
<Tag>TXT_KEY_CONCEPT_GREAT_COMMANDERS_PEDIA</Tag>
<English>[H1]Field Commanders[\H1][NEWLINE]Field Commanders are a new use for [LINK=UNIT_GREAT_GENERAL]Great Generals[\LINK]. Previously, players could only settle Great Generals in cities for XP, or attach them to a unit and give the unit immediate XP. Field Commanders give Great Generals a third ability, the ability to help lead troops in battle. While initially providing no benefit, a Field Commander will gain XP from successful combat events from other friendly units in its vicinity. When the Field Commander levels up, it will be able to choose promotions from a special promotion tree designed specifically for its use. The promotions don't help the Field Commander, nor can the Field Commander partake in any combat, but they will help nearby units. Units that are inside of the Commanders control range will receive the effects of the promotion, allowing for much more powerful armies on the battlefield, for offense and defense.[PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Control Range:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]Field Commander units have a control range, which initially is set to 1. This means that their promotions only take affect to troops on the same and immediatly adjacent tiles. As the range increases, so does the bonus of the promotions.[NEWLINE]A range of 2 (gained from [LINK=PROMOTION_OPERATIONS2]Operations II[\LINK]) means that the control range now mimics the "Big Fat Cross", the same area which is used to define the default city's workable area.[NEWLINE]The final range is 3 ([LINK=PROMOTION_OPERATIONS3]Operations III[\LINK]), increasing it even further and making the control area equivalent to the [LINK=CONCEPT_LARGER_CITIES]"mega-city"[\LINK] big fat cross available in Caveman2Cosmos.[PARAGRAPH:2][BOLD]Control Points:[\BOLD][NEWLINE]By default, a Field Commander unit can only support 5 battles. This means that the 6th fight within the control range, be it defending or attacking, will not benefit from the promotions anymore and will be considered a "regular" fight.[NEWLINE]Just as the control area, these control points can also be increased via the [LINK=PROMOTION_OPERATIONS1]Operations[\LINK] promotion line, up to a maximum of 25, equaling 25 fights.</English>

Btw, is there some place where I find more info about the Civilopedia / Seviopedia syntax? I was pretty irritated that I couldn't find any.

I would've also liked to add a new Unit entry for Field Commanders, but I'm not sure this is possible, as I suppose the Field Commanders are no separate units, but rather Great Generals with a special invisible promotions?

I also looked to somehow edit the entry for Great Generals, but I'm not entirely sure how these entries are set up yet.

Yes, they are just Great generals with the IsComamnder flag set to true, so it's not possible to give them separate pedia entries.

You could give them a separate concept page and link that to the GG pedia page.

There already is and I did (although it was labeled "Great Commanders", which I've fixed above).
Or do you mean that it's possible to link a concept entry in the "Units" section?

There already is and I did (although it was labeled "Great Commanders", which I've fixed above).
Or do you mean that it's possible to link a concept entry in the "Units" section?

I think so. If not that functionality is certainly able to be added to the pedia.

Top Bottom