CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

Yeah first things first!

Awesome - I'll be downloading this in a bit =))

Played one turn of 551, and its already much faster =] time between turns is long, but I know you already know about that =]

Good work!

EDIT: sorry to moan again, but theres upto 6 seconds between player turns atm with 7 civs - Still quite tedious to play through at this stage. I can play on 3 civs though for testing through =]

EDIT #2: Swy, this is feeling SOOOO much like civ! It's really coming together! Can't express my support and encouragement!!

I've finally gotten around to trying CivOne and I'm so impressed with how far you have gotten. There have been so many attempts at Civ clones over the years and most of them don't get off the ground so forgive my skepticism when I thought yours would be the same. I'm glad I was wrong!

I really appreciate your commitment to replicating Civ 1 perfectly and not some sort of Civ 1.5 (at least not yet!). The only thing I would love to see is a resolution-aware version of Civ 1, so that, although it uses the original graphics, if I make it full-screen, it will take advantage of my much larger monitor these days, so that you can see much more of the map.

Anyway, I tested briefly on a Windows 8 VM on a Mac and I will soon start to get involved with some proper testing. Thanks for your awesome work.

Thanks, once again, for the extensive testing and reporting of issues. :)

@DracoNoir
The slowness between turns has been fixed and it will be fast again in the next version.

@ChiefSparkY
I'm glad you tried it. Indeed, my first focus is to recreate the original game, not to add all my own ideas to it. Believe me, I have plenty of ideas on how to expand or improve the game... but that's what the modding API is going to be for.
As for the making use of the monitor/support for more screen resolutions: I know how I'll do it. Some of the changes I'm planning for version 0.2.0 are a step into that direction. Once the game gets more complete, I plan on adding more OS integration to the game. These are some of the features that will be (optionally) implemented:
  • Make full use of the screen
  • Use the scrollwheel to browse through info screens, civilopedia, menus
  • Use the scrollwheel to zoom in/out on the game map
  • Show more game info in the window title bar
  • Make use of the OS top menu (macOS)

Since you've got a Mac, you'll be happy to know that there is already a native macOS version. It's not fully working: Not all keyboard commands/mouse clicks fully register. But it is working and there will be a download for the macOS before the final release of 0.1.0, as well as a GTK version for Linux.

---

Today, I won't have a lot of time for development but I'm going to make up for that tomorrow. :)

I want to get closer to the first alpha version, and currently there are 31 open bugs, still. I will have to fix a couple more before I make another release, which will probably be next Wednesday or Thursday.

To keep you up to date and let you know that I'm still working on CivOne, here's a list of things that have already been fixed since the last preview:

There are still some crashes that I need to investigate, but they all happen late into the game so it's taking me some time to find out what's causing them.

I've checked on the Mac and Linux versions of the game: All of the changes that I've done in the past three weeks haven't affected them, meaning that they still fully work. I will probably post Mac and Linux previews along with the next preview.

Edit: I believe I've fixed the late game crash. There's 23 open issues remaining at the moment. I mean to get that number down to 18 before I post another preview. Still on schedule: That will probably be this Thursday.

Edit 2: Well, I'm down to 18 open issues, I will make a new preview tonight.
The GTK and macOS versions will have to wait a little, they still do not register all keyboard commands and the GTK version crashes some times. Better fix that before I release something unusable.

Yeah, sorry I've been a bit awol lately, but you know, real life and all... =//

Anyway swy, there's some amazing progress going on here and I'm really excited for the next release!

Hey SWY,

It is exciting to see how fast this is progressing!

It is great that you want to do a clone, because we need the vanilla game as a base to do tweaks and graphically mod it to work with the modern monitors.
However, I would suggest adding some features that will not change the rules or gameplay.

Some of these ideas:
- renaming cities
- custom colors for civs
- hot-keying units (so I can select it instead of searching for it on the map)
- item being produced displayed under the name of the city (like in newer civs)
- toggle to display the safe tiles for triremes
- ability to rebuild the palace (the one you improve over time)

I think some of these could be useful.

Playing the newest version. First impressions - it runs like a ferrari! Whatever you did, it works!
For some reason 20 or so settlers are spawned at game start.

Other changes are impressive to say the least. I'll just report all my issues on Github. Well done, I'll report to uncle joseph about the progress.

Hi, sorry about the 20 settlers at the start. That was testing code: I needed to check if multi page reports (F1, F4, F5) were working properly and I got careless.
I've uploaded r613 in which that bug is fixed.

Glad my changes worked. :)

---

@Laterego
All the changes you mention will possibly be added, but not in the short term. Although renaming cities was in a later patch of the original game, I'll put that on the issue list at GitHub.

Once I start implementing a modding API, I will possibly create a few sample mods like displaying the current production under cities, and having Civilizations spawn with random colours allowing the Caesar and Stalin to finally meet. But my absolute first priority will be to recreate the original game as closely as possible.
The problem is, if I start to add feature requests, it will take up so much time that I won't be able to finish recreating the original game first.

Then there's the little thing about this being open source: Everyone can grab the code at any time and start writing their own changes like the ones you mentioned. In fact: I hope that someone will be brave enough to start working with my code and create some extended game mode or something. That's mostly the reason I made this open source. :)

thanks for the latest revision SWY, I'll be giving this a go tonight =]

EDIT:
Big jump in filesize (compared to jumps between previous versions) shows that there has been a helluva lot of work gone into this one!

Loading it now =]

EDIT #2:

Holy poop that's fast!!!

Hang on, cities SHOULD act as irrigated squares for settlers. Or have I misunderstood?

Yes that's the issue I was referring to. I've since read that you are quite correct but I seemed to have recollections of being able to do this in original civ.

SWY, had I not already known that english was not your first language I could not have guessed that it wasn't! You definitely don't need to make apologies for your english! Especially when it is my incorrect assertion that has caused the confusion and not your language skills! =)

I have tested. It left lot of work to be realy playable, but it's a good start.
Good job.

I noticed a possible bug with the minimap.

If you have a current unit (blinking) you can change the map position by clicking in on the minimap. The map will update correctly if you select a spot in which the unit is still visible. Othewise, using the minimap does not update the map right.

---
P.S. I have played a few turns and I am amazed how this is so close to the original. Sounds aside, I thought that opened my dosbox civ instead! I really hope that you will manage to recreate the game fully.

I know you have modding in mind after the game will be cloned, but how are you going to do this? Will you make it possible to add new units, or mechanics that exist only in newer iterations?

What I really liked about Civ is its simplicity. I think the best mods will be the ones preserving this simplicity to a degree.

I want to ask if you will do the code in such a way to allow stuff like (through mods):
- veteran, elite, leveled units like in Civ3/4
- great people or heroes (like a scientist or builder)
- leader unit (player) which if lost would lose the game
- upgrading units (to new techs)
- undercover units like the privateer in Colonization with privateering in mind (ability to get some gold from capturing an other vessel)
- more than 3 trade routes / city (with market place, bank, etc) and ability to cancel routes
- events such as plague, barbarian hordes etc
- support for extended tiles (ancient/medieval/industrial/modern/future) but also more tiles than in the Civ ruleset. I am imagining modding this for extended scenarios like post apocalyptic, alien invasion, Alpha Centauri style mod, fantasy themes, etc.

I noticed a possible bug with the minimap.

If you have a current unit (blinking) you can change the map position by clicking in on the minimap. The map will update correctly if you select a spot in which the unit is still visible. Othewise, using the minimap does not update the map right.

I've added this to the github.

Top Bottom