CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

Hello! I'm getting my new computer (Mac Mini) today, and I'm going to start working on CivOne daily again.
My current focus will (in no particular order):
  • Getting the macOS version up and running (nearly done)
  • Automating the build process
  • Expose and document 2 or 3 plugin API's
  • Update the website with some interactive features
  • Fix all the bugs
Don't worry, I'm still using Windows and Linux machines for development too. The Mac Mini is just a tool. I will still keep the Windows and Linux version updated.

Please, give me some time to get up to speed, I will try posting status updates often.

I'd definitely like to see more civs with more colors. I think there are enough colors for 16 civs. Orange, Dark Green, Grey, Lime, Purple, Brown, Dark Red, Olive, and maybe Black.
BTW I played a couple of minutes, plays really cool. I see that now some features are missing (no civil disorders?). I actually think that simplicity of graphics of Civ 1 are more appealing than Civ2 or 3 for me, looks like a board game. Now, if you will allow some extreme modding, like adding own terrain types, or resources, that could make it even more enjoyable than later Civs.

BTW I've been making steady progress on my own little project. It's primitive compared to CivONE, but a lot of fun to tinker around in visual studio.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: SWY
Wow, very cool idea, I'm still a big fan of Civ1, and is still my favorite Civilization of them all, great to see your coming back into development.

This is so awesome.

I am a pretty experianced c# programmer but I have no experiance with game programming. I have grabbed the source and got it to run. I would like to help out if I can. Is there a good place to start? I noticed that happiness of citizens in cities doesn't seem to be implemented, is someone else working on this or is it something I could have a go at?

@axx
That looks amazing. Are you going to open source it? Either way, I'm looking forward to helping you test your project. :)

@Goncalom
I had hoped to continue coding this month but things don't always go according to plan. I only managed to fix one bug this month. Hopefully I will have more time in the coming month...

@hospital
I have not yet made plans to implement citizen happiness, but if you feel up to it I look forward to your code. But I would suggest staring with something easier. If I may make a suggestion maybe you could have a look at any of these:
These features are planned for a later version, but if you manage to fix/implement them, I will move them forward:
Before you commit any code, please have a look at the coding guidelines, here:
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Thank you :goodjob:

@SWY Thanks. At this stage it's only a project that I use to get familiar with c# and OOP. I still have a mindset of a FORTRAN programmer with subroutines, so the very fact I managed to get some graphics going is, for me, braggable. Suffice to say the coding is primitive and not really worth open-sourcing. But if/when I improve on that field I'll certainly consider it.

So, probably a noob question, but I tried building the project on Visual Code per your instructions on Civone github, and I get this below. I have NET core installes, as well as OmniSharp extension.

upload_2018-3-2_17-12-20.png

@SWY I tried pushing a commit from my local repository to Github but got an error.
Well in Game.Load.Save.cs in line 186 try this:
if (gameData.Wonders[wonder.Id] != cityData.Id) continue;
It should now correctly load wonders (the game saves wonders correctly from offset=8674, but loads them from 8762).
There's a mistake in Darkpanda's description, I don't think bytes 8762 & 8763 serve any purpose.

I have added a PR for bribing units. Can you take a look and let me know what you think please?

@axx
Thanks for finding the bug, if it's possible I'd like to pull your code so you can take credit for your own fix. Can you install the GitHub desktop client (here: https://desktop.github.com/) and try to commit your code from there?

@hospital
I've had a quick look at your code and I'm really happy with it, great job, thank you very much!
I'm not on my development machine now so I can't pull your code yet, but I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow.

In the mean time, if you'd like to, perhaps you can continue by implementing the diplomat city menu.

---

I will try to get some work done and get a new build out tomorrow as well.

I've had a quick look at your code and I'm really happy with it, great job, thank you very much!
I'm not on my development machine now so I can't pull your code yet, but I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow.

In the mean time, if you'd like to, perhaps you can continue by implementing the diplomat city menu.
No problem. Is this forum the best way to communicate with you?

@axx
Thanks for finding the bug, if it's possible I'd like to pull your code so you can take credit for your own fix. Can you install the GitHub desktop client (here: https://desktop.github.com/) and try to commit your code from there?

OK so I created my branch with the changes. But when I try to publish the branch in order to do a pull request I get an autentication failed thing. Anyone got a clue what I'm doing wrong.
upload_2018-3-6_22-23-9.png

I have added two pull requests:

• Add incite revolt functionality to diplomat.
  • Fix page up/down and home/end when no numeric keypad

Top Bottom