CivOne - An Open Source remake of Civilization 1

CivOne can be whatever you want it to be. Just fork it on github and take your fork in any direction you want.

If only I had the talent with such things haha. I was just asking guys. It's PERFECTLY fine if SWY replied "nope, its a 100% original Civ1 reconstruction and nothing more!" lol. I was just curious to what SWY's future plans were and wasn't expecting to have to defend my questions as if I'd insulted someone or suggested that SWY's work isn't already awesome.

I want to take the plugin API pretty far in terms of modifying and improving the game, and I can see the appeal in HD graphics. I do wish to support HD textures in the future (after version 0.1), but it will be up to content creators to actually create the HD textures. Creating graphics is not entirely my speciality.

Sounds good man. :) I was only thinking in terms of higher viewing resolution and not actually changing any textures or graphics as I love the original look (hell I just used the CivDos graphics mod on CivWin because of love the original look so much haha). But hey if some talented folks fork your work to do something like that it'll certainly be interesting. Come to think of it there's probably quite a few people who love the CivWin textures over the dos ones (basically opposite to me lol) who might want to mod your game to support them. The lovely SNES Civ1 graphics is another nice tile set.

It's already (partially) possible to 'expand' the screen resolution. If you start "setup.bat" and choose "Settings > Aspect Ratio > Expand (experimental)", the game will add extra columns and rows of pixels to fit your monitor aspect ratio, allowing the game to run on 16:9, 4:3, 5:4 and 21:9 resolutions. This is only half finished at the moment, so many screens are not scaled and you'll run into unexpected bugs...

I was just curious to what SWY's future plans were and wasn't expecting to have to defend my questions as if I'd insulted someone or suggested that SWY's work isn't already awesome.

Let's just keep the tone in this thread cheerful and inclusive. :) I do not mind questions and features requests, and I'll try to answer as well as I can.

It's already (partially) possible to 'expand' the screen resolution. If you start "setup.bat" and choose "Settings > Aspect Ratio > Expand (experimental)", the game will add extra columns and rows of pixels to fit your monitor aspect ratio, allowing the game to run on 16:9, 4:3, 5:4 and 21:9 resolutions. This is only half finished at the moment, so many screens are not scaled and you'll run into unexpected bugs...

Ahh cool!! I'll have to go have a play with that then. Cheers. :)

By the way how to start civ one binary on a Mac. Do you put the program into civilization 1 folder and run it from there? Asking because I tried just that having installed sdl2 beforehand and nothing happens.

Hi everyone. I'm a bit busy at work at the moment and it's taking up a lot of time and energy. Family and work (in that order) are more important than CivOne. :) I'll get back to CivOne soon, but I can't promise when yet.

@hospital
Sorry, I can't think of any simple task right now. With a bit of luck, I'll find some time tonight (or within the next two days) and I'll create a couple of new simple tasks for you to work on.

@d0c
What version of macOS are you using? It requires macOS 10.12 or 10.13 at the moment. I'm experimenting with a binary that works from 10.9 and up, but that's not finished yet.
If you're running at least macOS 10.12, after installing SDL2, it should be as simple as just starting CivOne. The first time you'll get a dialog saying that the application is downloaded from an unknown source (I can't pay $100 a year for an app certificate) so you'll need to open the settings app and allow CivOne to run. After that, the game should ask the game data location.
If I find some time tonight (or within the next two days), I'll add instructions with screenshots on the website...

@SWY I actually managed to start it up on my hackintosh which runs 10.13.3, but I had to install .net core runtime rather than sdk. For some reason it had problems running on a real macbook pro with an sdk.
Anyway, i liked what you have developed so far. you have most of the game mechanics and it looks like a real civilization classic.
How do you guys generate game map, it seemed I ended up on a large piece of an island with several land tails coming out of a main land. Not sure if describes it well.

@SWY agree that family and work are way more important.

I have had a lot of fun working on this so far.

I think from memory cities don't go into disorder if they are unhappy. I wonder if that would be something I could tackle if you aren't doing it already? Or would that be fairly complex?

@SWY I actually managed to start it up on my hackintosh which runs 10.13.3, but I had to install .net core runtime rather than sdk. For some reason it had problems running on a real macbook pro with an sdk.
Anyway, i liked what you have developed so far. you have most of the game mechanics and it looks like a real civilization classic.
How do you guys generate game map, it seemed I ended up on a large piece of an island with several land tails coming out of a main land. Not sure if describes it well.
Sorry, I can't help with the mac stuff. I am linux and windows only.

From what I can see it uses the reverse engineered map generation algorithm from the original game and the games I have started all seem to have reasonable maps. Sharing the save file may help but it's probably beyond my knowledge to troubleshoot it.

@SWY agree that family and work are way more important.

I have had a lot of fun working on this so far.

I think from memory cities don't go into disorder if they are unhappy. I wonder if that would be something I could tackle if you aren't doing it already? Or would that be fairly complex?

You could start with showing the disorder icon on cities. Then continue with the disorder effects. It would be great if you could tackle that issue. I've made a GitHub issue here: https://github.com/SWY1985/CivOne/issues/486

Spelling mistake fixed. I haven't started on the disorder icon yet but I still intend to do it. :)

I have got the disorder icon working. Doing the effects now.

When a city is in disorder:
  1. No production
  2. No coin or science collection?
  3. If in dosorder for 2 turns and dimocracy then revolution
  4. Sill has upkeep?
Is there anything else?

Is there anything else?
IIRC, if rioting persists, didn't/doesn't Civ(DOS) also include potential random destruction of a building (max. 1 per turn)?

And if a city is in disorder and the Nuclear Plant is the building 'chosen' for destruction, doesn't that result in a meltdown (i.e. pollution of some/all neighbouring tiles, but without destroying the tile-improvements like an ICBM would)?

IIRC, if rioting persists, didn't/doesn't Civ(DOS) also include potential random destruction of a building (max. 1 per turn)?

And if a city is in disorder and the Nuclear Plant is the building 'chosen' for destruction, doesn't that result in a meltdown (i.e. pollution of some/all neighbouring tiles, but without destroying the tile-improvements like an ICBM would)?

but that wouldn't be like the original. i mean, it makes sence, but i thought this was intended as a recreation of the original as far as mechanics (with bugs fixed) ?

but that wouldn't be like the original.
Pretty sure it would. In CivDOS (which was about the only game I played, between 2002 and 2009 — when I switched to playing Civ3 obsessively instead!), nuke-plants could definitely go kablooie, and buildings could definitely be (randomly) destroyed during riots (but maybe you were such a good player that you never suffered any rioting? ;) ).

What I can't remember for certain is, whether the nuke-plant kablooie was classified (by the game) as a 'Disaster' (like Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Floods, Pirate raids, etc.), or whether it happened in response to a riot (obviously, only in a town with a nuke-plant). But since unlike other Disasters, meltdowns were caused (rather than prevented) by a specific building, and preventable by researching Fusion(?) (IIRC), I'm >90% sure it was the building-destroyed-by-rioters mechanic, which could/would cause a meltdown. Prior to Fusion, I remember this made running a nuke-plant quite risky under a Republic/ Democracy. (Ironic really, considering that the worst nuclear-power accident in the world to date, the Chernobyl disaster, happened in the USSR...)

Really, the only reason for that <10% uncertainty, is that I last played CivDOS nearly 10 years ago, and I don't remember ever actually seeing more than a couple of meltdowns (if that), in any of my games — but I do remember at some point adopting a precautionary policy of never building nuke-plants before I got Fusion. Not only was the fallout (Pollution) a pain to clean up, since it took a long time, and you only had Settlers to do it with (which themselves cost 40[?] shields, plus food-upkeep per turn), but I think the meltdown would also cause population-loss in the town as well — like from an ICBM-attack. (Also, I was >15 years younger, and a lot more ideologically opposed to nuclear power on principle — even in a computer game!).

So by the time I felt 'safe' building nuke-plants, I would also usually be about ready to launch my Ship.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it would. In CivDOS (which was about the only game I played, between 2002 and 2009 — when I switched to playing Civ3 obsessively instead!), nuke-plants could definitely go kablooie, and buildings could definitely be (randomly) destroyed during riots (but maybe you were such a good player that you never suffered any rioting? ;) ).

i play civDos as well. and im definitely not as good player as many in the forum (after all i never played emperror and survived to brag about the story)
i recall having nuke reactors going kaboom, but never from riots. so, before nuclear fission.

What I can't remember for certain is, whether the nuke-plant kablooie was classified (by the game) as a 'Disaster' (like Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Floods, Pirate raids, etc.),

from memory, mine were not from riots. aslthoguh the advisor does appear (if you mean that as considering it a disaster)

but truth be said.. i rely heavily on the "we love the president" mechanic, so,riots are a very rare occurance in my games.

i probably should have kept my mouth shut :mischief:

At risk of off-topic...
i play civDos as well. and im definitely not as good player as many in the forum (after all i never played emperror and survived to brag about the story)
I don't think I even attempted playing at Emperor. I played at King, usually on the Earth-map, usually going for Space, and either won (after conquering most/ all of Eurasia+Africa), or quit and started a new game if/when it became clear that I was about to get overrun by a more teched-up rival.

But I wasn't a good player, in the sense that none of my games were ever optimised to the nth degree, or particularly high-scoring. I tended to turtle with defensive units, build every building in every town, and I had zero clue how to prioritise tech-research or -trading to get the ones I wanted ASAP, so usually ended up researching everything (myself!): my Ship usually got launched in the late 1800s or early 1900s AD at best. (That ignorance, plus the respawning mechanic, made Conquest a grind for me on the Earth-map, and I only ever played for/ won one such game — as the Mongols, appropriately enough!).

I didn't learn about any of the game's finer under-the-hood workings until I discovered CivFanatics in 2007, very late in my CivDOS 'career', so I never really learned to apply most of the tricks discussed on here, before I moved on to Civ3...

Top Bottom