1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CivWin Editing

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by nova10, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I distinctly recall using some program I downloaded to play Civ I as the Barbarians long, long ago. I wonder if that would have allowed you to switch Civs?

2. CivZ

CivZ Chieftain

Do you, by any chance, remember its name? It was for CivWin, right?

3. Peng Qi

Peng Qi Emperor

I think it was actually for the MSDOS version, but it was so long ago I can barely remember. I cannot remember the name.

4. killertux

killertux Chieftain

You need to use any hex editor to switch civs or change money etc... it just seems instructions are not easy to find.

5. CivZ

CivZ Chieftain

SUCCESS!!! :D

I didn't think the hex editing approach would work since, as mentioned before, SAV files are compressed somehow. Fortunately, the compression appears to be some form of RLE, and the byte with the human player's civilization is in the beginning of the file.

The byte is at position #5 and may contain the same values listed in the Switch Sides section of the cheats page.

CivCracker does show the current value for the human player civilization, but it cannot be changed. I wonder why...

As for changing your money, it's easy using memory editors such as ArtMoney.