clarification on using the whip

hoover

Chieftain
Hi all. I was reading a few threads about using the whip. I believe for every 2 resources you can use the whip every 20 turns or something like that, without causing unhappiness. My question is does this mean for the whole civilization or per city? TIA

It's the city only not civ-wide unhappiness (not 100% sure, maybe 95% sure:D )

Using up one population to rush makes one content person in that city unhappy for 20 turns. It doesn't have anything directly to do with luxury resources, they're just a way to keep the city from going into disorder from the extra unhappiness.

Thanks guys. So now I assume unhappiness from pop rushing is city wide not civ wide. So if you pop rush 2 pop instead of 1 pop does that make a difference as far as the 20 turns go. TIA

If you poprush 2 citizens, then you will have 2 unhappy citizens for the next 20 turns.

The part about where someone talks about the number of luxuries-how often to whip applies to a tactic where you keep the cities small, so they don't really need the extra happiness. If you have, for example, enough happiness to keep 5 or 6 people content or happy, but the city is going to stay at size 2-4 for a long time (because of building workers/settlers or it is a slow-growing city), you could whip every so often and not really see the unhappiness effect of the whip. You need to be very careful on which cities you are whipping and when you whip them. That's too much micromanaging for me. I don't use the whip very often.

Unhappiness will only transfer to other cities if you abandon a city that has alot of unhapiness from drafting/pop-rushing.

Note that if you whip two citizens, that's two unhappy faces for 20 turns, and then one unhappy face for the next 20 turns after that. That's a total of 60 citizen-turns of unhappiness.

The effects of whipping compound for more than one whip: 20 person-turns for one whip, but 60 person-turns for two, 120 for three, 200 for four, and it gets uglier from there...

Originally posted by T-hawk
Note that if you whip two citizens, that's two unhappy faces for 20 turns, and then one unhappy face for the next 20 turns after that. That's a total of 60 citizen-turns of unhappiness.

The effects of whipping compound for more than one whip: 20 person-turns for one whip, but 60 person-turns for two, 120 for three, 200 for four, and it gets uglier from there...
Are you sure about this? This isn't my experience (although the times I have whipped more than one citizen are few), and I have never seen this mentioned by anybody else.

And when drafting follows the same rules, unhappy citizen(s) in a city captured during industrial times will show forever "hell, we won't go". Of course, assuming ai has drafted a lot (but it's common).

Top Bottom