[BTS] Clash of Eagles (alternate history, Roman invasion of America)

Tr0x

Chieftain
This map is based on Alan Smale’s Clash of Eagles series, which poses the alternate history question: what if Rome survived to the 13th century, and invaded the Americas?

I really enjoyed the book series, which blends historical realism with a bit of fantastical reimagining of the Romans, the Mongols, and the various civilizations that inhabit the Americas. The series rightly presents the Americas as being full of diverse cultures, histories, and cities, which is what I tried to reflect in this map as well.

As in the book series, the Americas act as a new battleground in a world-spanning war between the Roman and Mongol empires. You can pick a side and play as them, or pick from one of the many Native American civilizations, and defend your homeland from the foreigners from across the ocean.

All civilizations and starting technologies are based on those that appear in the book series, with some of my own alternate history takes on them.

Requires Civilization IV, Warlords, and Beyond the Sword for optimal play.

The map itself uses jam4865’s excellent North America map, with my own tweaks and balances to it.

Playable civs:
  • Blackfoot Confederacy, Sitting Bull (Native America rename)
  • Mongol Empire, Genghis Khan
  • Aztec, Montezuma
  • Haudenosaunee, Tadodaho (Zulu rename, Shaka)
  • Tlingit, Anotklosh (Sumeria rename, Gilgamesh)
  • Roman Empire, Hadrianus III (Julius Caesar)
  • Mississippian, Chief Sun Man (Inca rename, Huayna Capac)
  • Maya, Pacal
  • People of the Hand, Tawa (Mali rename, Mansa Musa)
  • Cree, Poundmaker (Viking rename, Washington)

Updated January 6, 2022 after 1 download. Technology rebalances
Updated January 7, 2022 after 1 download. Made Cahokia a Holy City.
Updated January 22, 2022 after 3 downloads. Returned calendar setting to default

Attachments

• Continent overview.png
    Continent overview.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 155
  • South east.png
    South east.png
    4 MB · Views: 141
  • Mexico.png
    Mexico.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 124
  • Alaska.png
    Alaska.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 150
  • Clash of Eagles.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    721 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Nice.

Do you have any background on him? Google found nothing :confused:
He's a character from the Clash of Eagles book series. In the book, the leader of Cahokia is given that honorary title.

Top Bottom