Classic GOTM 32: Spoiler 2 (end of middle ages)

Open
PTW 1.27

Well, real life intruded and I didn't get this finished in time, but I promised I'd explain my Middle Ages mistakes, so here goes. I actually set them up earlier, but I didn't find out about them until now.

The middle ages were going along swimmingly when I decided that I would be brave and start a war to win some territory. I looked at the power and culture graphs and decided to try to eliminate the Iroquois first because they were building culture like crazy. If I let them continue to build, I'd have trouble with flips. Also, I had dyes that I could trade to the Americans to bring them in to the war on my side, effectively costing me nothing (since I didn't have anyone else to trade with). Then I'd be able to take on the weaker Americans after conquering the Iroquois. After learning the Republic, I revolted out of despotism and declared war.

I took a couple of cities and then went back and forth for a while. I still have trouble committing to war, and I didn't get everybody supporting the war effort - too many cities were building other stuff. I started my golden age and got a great leader who hurried the Sistine Chapel, but did too much screwing around to get anywhere.

Eventually I realized that the Americans aren't helping me at all. They've got lots of troops, but they are all just milling around. I grumbled about this for a while, but was too stupid to figure out why until many turns later when the Americans took an Iroquois city for half a turn. Lo and behold, they were involved in the fight! How'd they get there without me seeing them walk by? By boat, of course. I'd built cities blocking every land path to the Iroquois. If I were to the point of being able to manage my wars effectively, it wouldn't have mattered, but I needed help badly. Finally I realized I could disband one of the cities blocking the way.

The Americans sent a huge line of troops up north and we eventually wiped out the Iroquois. It took forever, though - about 1000 years. I switched into Monarchy at some point because happiness was a problem in republic. Naturally it took me 400 years to decide to switch, but the last 600 years were much happier. I think this was the first time I've ever changed governments because of war.

I did manage to get most of the Iroquois cities during the war. The Americans weren't very smart about city-taking, so I stole a few out from under them and won some more fair and square. Because I kept building a bunch of other stuff during the war, my culture was very large compared to the Americans. After the war, this helped. All the cities the Americans captured flipped to me fairly quickly. However, it is now 1490 and I've met the rest of the world. It doesn't seem like a good time to try to take over the rest of my continent, so I look for another plan. Nothing comes readily to mind, so I muddle through without one. A little planning here - even just deciding how I wanted to try to win - would have brought me a win much sooner, even taking into account my poor war handling.

Top Bottom