Classic GOTM 32: Spoiler 2 (end of middle ages)

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
This is spoiler number 2 for the classic GOTM 32: Aztecs!

To qualify to participate in this spoiler, you must have contact with all seven civilizations (or there remains). You must have a 'full' world map (ie showing all major landmasses), and you must be researching an industrial-age tech.

Feel free to supplement your write-ups with screenshots, but please don't use any that show the locations of Industrial-age resources.

So: how did the middle-ages turn out? How did the decisions you made in the ancient age (in particular whether to conquer the home continent, or whether to work with you neighbours to speed research?)

Edit: Fixed note on resources.

[PTW] 1.27f - Open Class

At the end of the Ancent Age, I was shifting my army from the south to the north in response to the Iroquois attack.

Middle Ages

500 AD - My forces arrive and push the Iroquois back. I take a few cities. Signed a peace to build up my forces again. I did get their only horses. So no UU attackers.

670 AD - I returned to finish off the American. Used a Jaquar Warrior to trigger a GOlden Age. As you can see they are almost gone.

800 AD - With the Americans gone, I build up begin the final push to eliminate the Iroquois. So far, I have come close on several occasions, but have failed to get a Galley across the large ocean gap. Forbidden Palace is 8 turns from completion. I am building it on the outer edge of my productive cities down in northern half of the former American area.

1020 AD - Just me left. Forbidden Palace was finished a few turns back. I can use the additional productive cities. Moved to Republic. Build infrastrucure (Marketplaces, etc.) Between Barbs and the "treacherous waters" I have lost at least a dozen galleys. Probably more. Still can't get there. I need to fill out the continent before they get here and start colonizing.

1140 AD - Well the Spanish got here first in a Caravel. I'm behind tech-wise. I catch up pretty quick using Iron, Saltpeter, and abundant luxuries to trade for tech and gpt.

1295 AD - Just about to Military tradition. Democary doing research at 4-5 clip. Building Knights and Caravels as well as infrastructure in my core.

1455 AD - End of Middle ages. The Russians were gone before I could get there. Spain and Germany are the most advanced. Korea is the most aggression. Made military alliances with everyone against Korea. They will be gone soon. I switched back to Monarhy when unhappiness started to be a problem.

PTW1.27 Predator
Entered Middle Ages in 300AD. Iroquois out of the game. America will be when I discover Chivalry.
Age of Exploration
My third Galley sank in 340AD. Sent a stack of three this turn but in 350AD two of them sank and the third sank when within one turn of coastline of what is later discovered to be a Korean island. In 440AD my tenth galley finally made it across and met the Koreans. They know Monarchy, Feudalism and Engineering. And they have met the remaining tribes.

In 450AD I spot a Roman galley. The Koreans have sold contact w. me to Spain. So, only Russians and Germans left to find before starting to trade with them. In 470AD Russia have bought contact and I meet Germany. When I research Chivalry in 550AD a major trading round ends with me knowing Gunpowder. I set research to 40 turns on Theology in preparation for American War and eventual capture of their Great Library.

American War 620-700AD
DoW in 620AD, I enter into GA after successful JW attack on red lined Spearman. 630AD, Washington falls and I capture the Great Library. 640AD, my first GL after about 15 elite victories. Used to build FP in Washington. Should have built FP in Salamanca but builing it at once made a second GL appear in the same turn. It was used to build Leonardos. After this I only gained a single GL even though the number of attacks was in the 50-60's.

Peacetime research
When entering GA I switched on Research and researched to MT. and to Navigation in preparation for a landing on Korean soil. After reaching Navigation in 890AD Í stopped research.

Taking the War across the ocean
When I finally researched Navigation in 890AD, I had 40 Cavalry and 7 Caravels/2 Galleys. 21 of the Cavs were loaded on the caravels and in position for the leap across the ocean. In 920AD they were in position to DoW Korea. The Korean Island was conquered in 930AD. First cavs landed on Mainland in 940AD and Korea was down to one city in 980AD. In 980AD I DoW Germany and land cavs on their shores.

One cultural flip, Seoul in 1040AD, but it was retaken the same turn. Germany conquered in 1090AD and the final Korean city taken in 1100AD. I am about 20 tiles from domination so a final push w. a DoW on Rome pushed me over the limit and domination aquired in 1110AD. The army at this point consisted of 44 cavs and 8 MI. The navy had 16 caravels.

Summary
Holding back JWs from the Iroquois campaign was a good decision. I got a GA with a real research/production boost for the leap to MT/Navigation. However America had nothing but Spearmen so I should have been able to conquer them with Horsemen/JWs a bit earlier. OTOH, then I would probably not have had a GA as beneficial as I had between 620-820AD. So all in all I guess I benefitted from delaying the attack on America.
The landings in "the New Old World" went according to plans. However a few cavs on my east coast might have speeded things up a bit. The landing next to Koreas last city was delayed at least 10 turns due to the lack of transports on this coast (and my inability to build them) :(.
Better luck with my suicide galleys might have changed the outcome. 9 sank before the 10th finally made it. The first came within 1 turn of the coast line in 190BC but it was until 440AD before I met the Koreans.

Predator PTW
Click For Ancient Age.

We entered the Middle Ages in 250 BC looking like this:

We have just liberated Salamanca and are regrouping. As you can see the continent is looking very poor to the south. With conquest in mind we don’t bother so much about that.

A few decades later, in 170 BC, the rest of the world was finally discovered. Because of the old rules maps and contacts could be obtained quickly. The Far Westerners were later to teach us Monotheism and Engineering.

There seems to be no easy way over to the other continent.

In 170 AD chivalry is discovered and from then on we decide we have pretty much learned all we need to. One lonesome egghead is set to brood over the mysteries of Theology for a 40 turn period. We want cash to upgrade our horsemen to knights quickly. (It will be very interesting to compare with those who kept researching.)

Army in 170 AD: 23 horsemen, 13 galleys, 18 native workers, 1 swordsman, 4 spearmen, 14 jags..

In 360 AD – 440 AD Rome is removed from its native lands. That "great empire" only responds with spearmen. Excess cash is then used to hurry temples in all Roman towns. Here is a picture of the rather cumbersome journeys to Rome. The sacrifices to Poseidon were endless, but consisted "only" of empty galleys.

We are slowly changing our objective from conquest victory to domination victory. There are two reasons: first, we can’t know for sure that knights will be powerful enough to conquer everyone, especially since the way to the battlefield is so hazardous. Secondly, the peoples of this world seem to have a lot of settlers floating around. It could take a long time until all those settlers are found.

Army in 390 AD: 27 knights (17 on the other continent), 7 galleys, 22 native workers, 1 swordsman, 4 spearmen, 11 jags.

After Rome and Iroquois are gone, we switch to republic.

In 490 it’s time to give the Germans a lesson. We decide to do an ROP rape against them. Unlike the Romans, these guys have iron. When we behold some of their fiery troops we nearly change our minds:

However, an investigation shows that the defense of Berlin is weak. There will be plenty of knights to spare to take out the German Medieval Infantry. It also turns out that more than half of the German defenders are still spearmen.

In 590 we decide to use a leader to place our palace in Berlin. This costs us about 100 gold per turn, but it’s probably worth it given the increased stability of the region. Berlin has both the Great Library and The Pyramids so it is a cultural giant.

In 630 Germany is gone from the game. We are 114 tiles from the domination limit and on our home continent settlers are running around like madmen trying to expand our empire.

Army in 650 AD: 28 knights (18 on the other continent, 4 on the island to the north), 8 galleys, 25 native workers, 1 medieval infantry, 4 spearmen, 10 jags, notably also 11 settlers.

In 650 we launch an attack on Russia to push us over the limit.

In 670 we have actually passed the domination limit, but the God Firaxis does not acknowledge our supremacy. :confused: Aha! We don’t have two thirds of the world’s population. Settlers and workers immediately join cities en masse.

In 690, following the capture of S:t Petersburg, a win is granted!

Doesn't this green, pasturelike map look peaceful? Little does it tell of the gruesome history of the Aztecs. Much blood has disappeared into the earth.

Reflections
The most exciting thing for me about this game will be to compare with other people who also went for a quick win but did more research than me. Looking at Wotan's summary, it looks like maybe it was unnecessary for you to go all the way to Military Tradition.

The map was very nice with some interesting decisions to be made in the beginning and some excellent fighting situations with both barbarians and AI.

I do hope for a higher tech pace next time. With all respect to those players who haven’t played GOTM for very long, I think the tech pace here was terribly slow. During the 43 turns it took me to research Theology (I switched off research entirely for a few turns to keep the Oracle from becoming obsolete) the AI only researched Invention, Chivalry and Gunpowder. This was in spite of the fact that Korea, Spain and Russia lived in peace for the entire period.

Another interesting aspect in this game was that it was hard to get rid of the AI civs. But I don’t think there was any respawn involved. There was just a lot of territory available and the AI always try to reach available territory. However, it looked like every time a civ without a capital founded a new town, they received their starting bonus all over again, in the form of an archer, a worker and a spearmen.

Middle Ages 290BC - 860AD. Serious warfare
Predator [ptw] 1.27

Link to Spoiler 1

Great Leaders:

I combined obsoleted elite troops with a fresh troops. Total 10 GL appeared 5 of them on the Middle Ages. I had not any kind of Alliances. I wanted as many battles as possible. When a GL appeared I freezed military advance. It took 3-6 turns for GL to return on Tenochtitlan. This slowed military campaign, but I did not lost new GLs.

Elite Jaguars. vet Horseman.
190BC Ltzcoatl. Rushes FP 5 tiles SE of Salamanca.

Elite Jaguars. Elite Horseman.
190AD Acamapichtli. Forms Horse army.

Elite Horseman.
420AD Axayacatl. Rushes Sistine Chapel.

Elite/vet Knights.
590AD Tizoc. Rushes Sun Tzu.

Elite Knights.
770AD Huitzilhuitl. Rushes JS Bach.

Elite Knights. Vet Cavalry.
890AD Chimalpopoca.

Tenochtitlan

AA wonders summary: Aztecs entered MA 290BC, that time two of the seven AA wonders have not been built. Hanging Gardens completed 150BC. 230AD Must to decide between the Great Wall and Heroic Epic. I built Heroic Epic and lost the wonder. I think it was better option anyway. Double culture 4 vs 2 and more GL opportunities. Tenochtitlan got 5 of 7 AA wonders.

MA wonders summary: Tech lead and wars kick in. In this period Tenochtitlan lose one MA wonder Leonardo´s Workshop. 600AD nobody knows Invention. GL rushes Sun Tzu to kill the cascade on IBT Spain discover Invention and cascade to Leonardo. I was one turn late. Tenochtitlan got 8 of 9 MA wonders.

Misc culture improvements: I was unprepared. Barbs sacked towns. I have not gold on rushing Cathedral/University on one turn.

Tenochtitlan at 860AD:
5424 culture. +87 cpt.

150BC Hanging Gardens
90BC Colosseum
10AD Cathedral
250AD Heroic Epic
290AD University
510AD Copernicus´s Observatory
520AD Sistine Chapel (GL)
610AD Sun Tzu´s Art of War (GL)
820AD Newton´s University
830AD JS Bach´s Cathedral (GL)

Ancient Age Spoiler

Open [ptw] 1.27f

My first steps toward a domination victory began early in the Middle Ages. A massive barb uprising had been reported, near the Aztec capital, on the peninsula to the southwest. Knowing the uprising would have to come through America to get to me, I knew Lincoln would be preoccupied. Also, I knew America did not have republic, so I traded it to them. Sure enough, the next turn, my advisors informed that the Americans were in anarchy.

I declare war in 300 AD on the Americans and quickly capture Atlanta and Chicago. In the process, I discover there are still plenty of barb horsemen roaming around. I end up losing a couple units and have some horsemen redlined, which does slow my offensive down.

320 AD

However, the barbs are soon dispatched and I'm able to capture 6 American townships and gain another for peace. During the war, my first GL is generated and I rush the FP in Washington. If not for the barbs I likely could've gone further in this war. The reason I signed peace w/ America so soon is because I noticed Hiawatha had moved a stack of units into my lands. Fortunately, I had left a contingent of forces near both borders w/ the Iroquois.

In 560 AD, I politely request that Hiawatha remove his forces from my land. The result of this was...WAR! I had had my forces enroute to the north, but it would take a couple turns. So, I had to fend off attacks until the reinforcements arrived. In the end, I was successful in capturing two Iroquois townships and settled for peace in 860 AD for their wm, & gold. I wasn't interested in a long war w/ the Iroquois at this point w/ equal technology, plus they had more produtive cities closer to the front lines at this stage.

In 940 AD, a suicide galley reahed a landmass in the western hemisphere, resulting in contacts w/ the Koreans, Zulu, Romans, Germans, Spanish, & Russia. Many tech trades take place, along w/ the trade of communications for the Iroquois and Americans. I also get the entire known wm at this point during the turn.

After some turns to positin my forces, I declare war once again on the Americans in 1070 AD. During this war, I continue to trade w/ the other civs. A second GL is generated which I build an army with. The Americans are destroyed in 1265 AD. After reaching Military Tradition in 1270 AD, I shift my attention back toward the Iroquois.

In 1330 AD, I declare war on the Iroquois, capturing 2 cities right away. A third GL is generated. Since I wasn't concerned w/ the tech race and had marketplaces, etc. in my cities, I decided to rush Smith's Trading Company. The war w/ the iroquois goes relatiely well, suffered a couple culture flips is all. After researching the Theory of Gravity in 1360 AD, I enter the Industrial Age. War against Hiawatha woud continue early on in the IA.

1350 AD

Aztec-Iroquois War II

This is the first time i have a lucky situation at a GOTM.
I've got three GL (for armys) and only 2 AI's are still alive.
I now try to win bevor the IA ends.

[ptw] 1.27 open

MA

1070 ad ibt We complete Sun Tzu's (I thought - candidate for blunder of the year here - got the wonder completion popup and assumed it was SunTzu's) (had a lot of RL commitments and had a few days without playing and forgot I had cascaded to a different wonder)

1080 Sold most rax thinking to save $ (was in republic and unit upkeep was killing me)

1090 Realize we don't have rax's - wonder why and check and -- aargh we built leonardo's not suntzu's :cringe: :aargh: :suicide: :cry: - must pay more attention (repeat ad infinitum) - now we have to rebuild barracks (while at war) Considered giving up, but decided to persevere.
Autoraze Kahnawake

1120 Capture St Regis

1180 Great Leader!! Autoraze Tyendenaga

1190 Capture Great River

1230 America's making me uneasy massing troops her side of the borders. Have a rop so will send troops to sit on her saltpeter, iron and luxes and if they declare war, they will be pillaged (hope this isn't a forbidden act for GOTM) Also capture Oil Springs with the Great Lighthouse

1295 Destroyed the iroquois

1300 Notice we can communicate with a couple other people and get notice American's are building Magellan
Trade spain dyes spices and silks for wines, 49g, and contact with Russians, Koreans, and Romans (to get the most out of last turn of Great Library)
Trade Rome monarchy for WM and 3g
ibt learned chivalry, education, banking,astronomy,navigation,metallurgy,

1390 America never declared war. So rop rape against America, pillaging resources and most lux. Capture chicago, san fransisco, New orleans ( :hmm: During the write up, I notice I'm being more aggressive than usual this game - I wonder if the blunder of the year and subsequent 'I don't give a #@^&' attitude have something to do with it)

1395 capture washington

1400 great leader

1405 ibt built js bach's with the leader and completed our military academy (was building js's)

1420 capture miami

1425 capture detroit

1440 Another GL (Army)

1445 capture atlanta

1450 capture New York

1460 capture houston and kill enemy great leader [dance]

1470 capture philadelphia

1485 capture seattle

1490 captured boston (finally 5th try)
ibt seattle flipped(luckily army healing outside of town)

1495 seattle recaptured; capture buffalo; make peace for ToG, printing press, 12g, WM

1505 ibt enter industrial age

minimap at about 150 years after entering IA (didn't have a save closer than that)

Open - [ptw]

I entered the middle ages in a spectacular way: although I made many galleys it took me forever to meet the other civs. I had built the Great Library but thanks to some very early wars, they never were a match tech-wise. I followed the MT route and tried to be patient when I still hadn't met the others. I knew however that they were ahead because they'd built all the available wonders. Just in case it would take too long, I had a min run on education (I needed it for the Unis since 100k is my goal this game). After many, many sunk galleys I finally reached the Russian border and made contact with Russia and Germany. I sure enough got all the MA techs, save Democracy. As a present I also got Nationalism. This of course means my Cavs are going to have a difficult time. I might have to wait for Tanks, I'm in no hurry, since I am still busy stuffing the home continent.

[ptw] 1.27f

After a very quiet, expansionist Ancient Age, it's time to start thinking about ruling my continent.

Unlike the COTM, where Philosophy is a bee-line tech, here it was the last tech I needed to enter the Middle Ages. With a nice bit of luck, Abe came through with it on the same turn I learned Construction. A quick trade and here we are in the Middle Ages in 130BC. Monarchy has been helpful, but I need some boost to research, so I start Republic as fast as I can go.

Germany built the Lighthouse in 70BC, so I switched to FP, one city away from palace.

Barb uprisings hit in 50BC, meaning I was the first to the Middle Ages (I forgot there had to be 2 civs in MA). I could believe it on my continent, where tech seemed to be slow, but now it appears tech is slow all over.

Iroquois builds the Hanging Gardens in 50AD, painting a big, red target on Salamanca. I'm one turn from Republic at this point.

Revolt to Republic in 30AD, much better, working on Feudalism now. Trade Republic for gems from America.

Finally get a galley across to meet Korea in 110AD. They have Literature, Monotheism and Engineering. I am sorely lacking! Just before ending my turn I notice the Russian settler stack in Korean territory, and meet them too. Meet Germany in 130AD, they need Monarchy, finally someone I can trade with. Trade Monarchy for Spanish, Romans, Literature and TM. Spain also needs Monarchy, has no tech for me, but will give me World for it. I note that even with the lighthouse, we won't be crossing the ocean until Navigation or Magnetism. We are the score leader with Spain well ahead of Germany for 2nd.

210AD Learn Feudalism, and of course Korea, Russia and Germany all have it too, so no trades available. Start a beeline for Navigation so I can get some much needed luxes.

Get Invention from Germany.

Chicago decides they like us better and flip to us in 400AD. Haven't had a city flip to me in a long time. Despite being thoroughly surrounded, I never did get Atlanta to flip over.

I declared war on the Iroquois in 450AD, get my first leader in 470AD, rush Leonardo's in 480AD realizing just after I did it that it would have been better to save it for a palace jump. This mistake will cost me a good bit of time I think. War weariness kicks in in 500AD as I'm trying to take Salamanca. Fortunately I just learned Navigation so I make a lot of trades for luxes overseas, gaining a lot of gpt also. Finally grab Salamanca with Oracle and HG in 510AD and while I could make peace now, they only have 3 cities left so I might as well finish them off. Kill an Iroquois archer with a Jag to start my Golden Age in 620AD, and take last Iroquois city in 630AD.

During the Iroquois war, I picked up Astronomy, Navigation, Chivalry from Korea for iron (they were getting pummeled by Germany), Banking, Gunpowder from Germany for Navigation, and Chemistry. Gift Chemistry to Germany, who is doing well money wise, hoping to get Metallurgy from them. Learn Physics, Gravity, Magnetism and still no Metallurgy available. I got Printing Press in the meantime, so decide I want to become a democracy to improve worker speed. Become democracy in 760AD and have to do Metallurgy myself.

Get Copernicus in 770AD, my first hand-built wonder (not counting Leo which was leader built) and then learn Metallurgy in 800AD entering the Industrial Age, with 2 turns of GA left.

Things of note: Not sure I like the beeline to Monarchy thing, but I don't know that going for Republic first would have made much of a difference. I think building Leonardo's instead of moving palace was a big mistake. I could really have used the boost that a palace jump would have provided. I'm still debating at this time what victory condition to go for, but I'm leaning toward culture 100k as I think I've only ever done that once and I've got to do something other than diplo now and then. I have been building a lot of culture in my main cities anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to bump up the pace a bit.

Link to my AA spoiler

The Great Iroquois Massacre

The Iroquois War began in 250AD with the capture of Cattaraugus and Akwesasne. The Americans who also agreed to punish the Iroquois Nation blessed this action. As it turns out the Americans never sent a single troop into combat against the Iroquois, even with a ROP through my lands. This war progressed rather quickly, because my main attack force was Horsemen. In the period from 250AD through 450AD I captured all 12 of the Iroquois cities as well as taking control of The Oracle. I founded the city of Tamuin prior to the end of the war. Another settler founded Teayo in 460AD as a celebration to the end of the Great Iroquois Massacre. A key factor in this war was an early city I built during my QSC time frame, which took away the only horses available to the Iroquois.

This time frame also saw the enlightenment of my people begin, when a wandering Iroquois galley dropped off an archer near one of my cities that was defended by a sole Jaguar Warrior. I was victorious in the defense of the city and thus launched the Aztecs into their Golden Age in 320AD.

Age of Discovery

Germany and Korea learned Invention in 500AD and I trade Germany the knowledge of Theology for Invention, their world map, 90 gold and 23 gold per turn. The next turn saw the Spanish learn Chivalry and quickly sell it to the Germans. I was only 1 turn from learning it on my own and with only 1 turn left in my Golden Age I decide to purchase it from Spain for 10 gold, just to get one turn of GA research towards my next research (I think was Gunpowder, but my scribes have checked their manuscripts and can find no notation of starting or finishing this tech). 520AD brought about the end of my Golden Age and the founding of Cempoala.

The Intra-Continental War

In 550AD the Aztecs decide they need more land and declare war on the Americans, by capturing Philadelphia. This battle for control of 16 to 20 cities (America kept expanding even while I was attacking) brought about a Great Leader in 590AD, which was used to build a Medieval Infantry army. Sun Tzu’s Art of War was completed in 630AD with the help of our 2nd Great Leader. 670 & 680AD saw the only real counter attack of any note from the Americans. A stack of 12 swords and an elite warrior tried to recapture Chicago.

Two interesting things occur in 710AD, first I almost loss my 10/14hp Army to a regular spearman, I was left with 1hp after the fight. Secondly, after capturing St. Louis and their horses the Americans felt that they could still possess the horses. (I may need to send this in as a SOTD).

Back to the war: 780AD saw the generation of my 3rd Great Leader in the Battle for Washington. I gain control of Washington the next turn and use the Great Leader to rush my Foreign Palace, a very good move as it makes my newly acquired cities productive and lowers the risk of cultural flip.

Here is a shot of Washington one turn after capture thanks to rushing the Foreign Palace.

I also learn Chemistry this turn. A little trading with the Germans & Spanish nets me 2 world maps, 116 gold and 58 gold per turn. 850AD saw me capture New York and secure my 4th luxury resource. 900AD sees our 4th Great Leader step forward and assist in the building of the Sistine Chapel. Another Great Leader, our 5th, rushes to take the place of the last leader in 930AD and is quickly put to work building the Heroic Epic (I rushed this in mid turn because I had 3 more elites ready to attack during the same turn). The Great Leader Flood continues and I generate my 6th one in 950AD and use him to create a Knight Army.

Russia learns Education in 960AD so I trade Chemistry to the Russians for Education and their world map. I also trade Chemistry to the Koreans for 70 gold & 7 gold per turn. I discover Metallurgy in 980AD and Astronomy in 1060AD. This is all done while still capturing American cities and founding 7 cities of my own.

The Intra-Continental War wraps up in 1060AD with the elimination of the Americans, but not before producing my 7th Great Leader, which is quickly used to rush Copernicus’s Observatory (not in the best location but my scientist only have a little more work to do & I had more elites ready to attack). I am amazed at the amount of territory I captured from the Americans, but more amazed with the generation of 6 Great Leaders during this long war.

Reassess the Remaining Civilizations
GER – territory=240 tiles, 107 gold, 10 cities, furs & incense
SPN – territory=254 tiles, 0 gold, 14 cities, wines & ivory
ROM – territory=163 tiles, 0 gold, 7 cities, wines , down EDUC & METAL
KOR – territory=114 tiles, 66gold, 5 cities, no lux, down EDUC & METAL, down iron & saltpeter
RUS – territory=182 tiles, 5 gold, 7 cities, incense, down ASTRON & METAL

Game plan
Unclaimed territory = 196 mostly on my continent. I need a little less than 500 tiles for Domination victory. I need more settlers to fill in holes on my continent, which should leave me about 300-320 tiles short of victory. I am currently researching Military Tradition, and then need Physics & Magnetism for Galleons. I also need to build cavalry, muskets & galleys while researching these last three techs.

Can I afford the unit cost to switch governments to Republic? I’m not worried about war weariness because once I declare war on the on other continent the game should end quickly. I have 52 cities & 102 units. We are religious so I can always change back easily only costing me 2 turns if not productive. At current rate it will take me almost 30 turns to research all 3 techs. I decide to revolt and become a Republic in 1070AD.

The Aztec Republic

This phase of the game saw the Aztecs learn Military Tradition in 1130AD, Physics in 1190AD and Magnetism in 1250AD. I have also founded 13 new cities.

The Inter-Continental War for Domination

Upon upgrading the fleet to include 10 galleons I launch my invasion force in 1255AD. Nice thing about galleons is that they can hold a 3-man army.

I have decided that I can win by taking out the Russians, the Romans and the Koreans. Since Germany and Spain are on a tech level with me, I decide to keep them appeased by trading with them. I trade gems, dyes, spices and silks to Germany for Music Theory, Printing Press, world map and 8 gold. I trade iron, dyes, spices and silks to Spain for ivory, wines, 19 gold per turn and 8 gold. These two trades are signed in 1270AD, the same year my invasion force lands on Russian soil. My earlier estimate of tiles needed for Domination victory was slightly off, I find myself needing 361 tiles as I declare war on Russia in 1275AD. The Russian conquest has a quick start with the capture of Sevastopol and sees the addition of 4 more cities including Moscow, as well as taking control of the Great Lighthouse by the end 1290AD The same year sees a declaration of war against Rome as my second landing force captures Pompeii. Another trade with Spain has us delivering gems to them in exchange for their world map, 80 gold and 10 gold per turn; I also gift Germany my world map. 1315AD finds us 235 tiles short of victory. It also sees the capture of Rome, the Great Wall, the generation of my 8th Great Leader (who rushes JS Bach’s Cathedral in Rome) and the elimination of the Russians. 1325AD completes the Fall of the Roman Empire.

By 1340AD, I need only 78 tiles for victory, after capturing and founding more cities in the former Russian and Roman lands. 1345AD brings on a declaration of war against Korea and a surprise sneak attack by the Spanish on Odessa (I checked the game after completing it and there was no MPP between Spain & Korea, I think the AI realized I was so close to victory that it just decided to attack). I capture Seoul and Leonardo’s Workshop in 1350AD.

New Teotihuacan a size one city (without any culture) that I founded is captured by Spain, recaptured by me, captured by Spain again and recaptured by me without autorazing over a 4 turn period. Is this normal?

1355AD starts with me 35 tiles from Domination. I recapture New Teotihuacan for the second time, found 2 more cities, capture P’yongyang and Taejon from the Spanish, generate my 9th Great Leader, and I capture Pusan & The Hanging Gardens from Korea. I have reached the Domination limit if I do not loss any cities on the IBT.

I am officially bestowed as “Gator the Great Dominator” in 1360AD, with a Firaxis score of 4881 and a Jason score of 8350.

OPEN PTW127f

370 AD: Enter Middle Ages

620 AD: Suicide galley found the Spanish
Traded Engineering for Feudalism, some contacts
Ended up w/ WM + Monotheism + all contacts
Korea is beating up on Russia
640 AD: Took Salamanca w/ Pyramids + Great Wall: Lost my swordsman army
730 AD: Took Allegheny w/ Great Lighthouse
Iroquois are down to one city at the NE tip of continent.
850 AD: Iroquois have been gone a couple turns and i got Abe to declare war on me.
890 AD: 4th GL rushes Sun Tzu's
(could have had the Library if i had remembered they can rush wonders)
910 AD: Still fighting off the rush of units Abe built while at war w/ Iroquois and never got to use
He's after my gold city and i am taking his smaller cities to the SW (3 so far)
I have just barely enough units to fight him off because i lost quite a few units on my first foray into America but i feel an offensive coming soon
940 AD: Took Atlanta :)
Korea & Russia made peace a couple turns ago leaving Russia w/ 5 cities.
960 AD: Tenochtitlan: Sistine Chapel from scratch
Discover Astronomy
5th GL taking St. Louis and notice 1st Amer longbowman
970 AD: Use GL to rush Copernicus's Observatory in Tenochtitlan w/ Colossus :)
980 AD: Copernicus done
Spain got Leonardo's
1040: Discovered Navigation
With 6 luxuries, i can drop my entertainment and research @ 70%
WW will kill me right now if i try switching to Republic although the reduced corruption and bonus commerce may make up for it. Let's go for it... ANARCHY!!!
1050: Republic should work out fine now
Roughly 40% WW
1110: Discover Chemistry
Take Washington
1130: Take New York and now have Gems!!!
1140: Zitlaltepec founded EES of Washington
1150: Coyotepec founded northish of Washington
Buffalo taken so i can have wings
1160: Metallurgy discovered
Philadelphia taken and America is confined to S peninsula
1200: Chicago taken
6th GL: send back to Washington for new palace
1210: Rush new palace in Washington; corruption = 374
1220: Palace moved: corruption = 328; Probably not a noticable difference because the old American cities are still small.
1230: Tequixquiac founded up N filling a hole
Trade Korea saltpeter for incense :)
1240: 7th GL; to go back to Tenochtitlan to build Newton's
Take Miami for fun in the sun; 2 more to go and the others don't know him yet
1250: Discover Theory of Gravity
1255: Abandon Detroit via settler and rebuild 1 tile N on iron
Spain has Economics: decide to trade ToG for that and switch from Magellans to Smith's (magellans = 1 turn)
See to it everyone has economics: I believe in spreading around any tech that gets more gold into the game
1260: Rush Newton's University in Tenochtitlan (colossus + copernicus)
1265: Tlapanaloya founded NWish of Washington filling a gap
Gotta wait for Memphis (size 1) to expand
1270: Discover Magnitism & enter the Industrial Age :)

@DJMGator13: About the brown square in your captured city, I've seen this a few times before, it just means there was a citizen in the neighboring city working that square when you took it, it should be gone on the next turn.

Xevious said:
@DJMGator13: About the brown square in your captured city, I've seen this a few times before, it just means there was a citizen in the neighboring city working that square when you took it, it should be gone on the next turn.

You are correct it was gone the next turn.

ainwood said:
Do you think that the research rate was hampered by your ancient-age decision to wipe-out the Iroquois and Americans?
Thanks for your reply, ainwood.

Yes, but I'm talking about the rivals' tech pace, not my own. Before Navigation the tech pace of the western tribes could still not have been faster unless we had given them contacts with the others.

I want to stress that I really don't mean to be obstinate about my wish for a tougher tech pace. It's just a wish and my opinion is just one among all others. Besides, I know that you have a plan to vary the difficulty levels. And after all, without a few games on lower levels I personally might not have picked up the fast domination/conquest style of play.

DJMGator13 said:
New Teotihuacan a size one city (without any culture) that I founded is captured by Spain, recaptured by me, captured by Spain again and recaptured by me without autorazing over a 4 turn period. Is this normal?

If you had rushed a citizen from a captured Russian city and the one citizen was Russian and not of either Aztec or Spanish origin, then this can happen

PTW1.27f

Start decisions. Use a warrior rush to conquer neighbours or let them help in research? Seems like most of AIs are elsewhere, so I need every research help I can. Traded/gifted techs to them so they would research techs for me when I headed for Republic.

1000BCE stats: 11 towns, 2 settlers, 9 workers, 11 warriors.

I reached MA around 400BCE. Met the other continent in BCE time when they hadn't reached MA. Gifted scientific civs to MA and everyone got a different tech. Traded them and started to research Theology, because seems like Navigation is needed. Started wars in the other continent to slow them from learning Gunpowder and weaken them for my invasion.

Golden Age started around 70BCE when my fifth Jaguar Warrior finally won a battle against Americans! I was getting desperate warriors not winning against redlined units. Had to rush few more just to get GA started. I'm not still sure should I research more than Navigation, so I build libraries in the core instead of units. Maybe a bad decision, GA helps research enough. It was well timed after all.

290CE: learned Navigation.

300CE: home continent mine (Iroquous are having a settler in a galley, though). Conquest was very late, I'm disappointted.

Other continent still haven't learned Chivalry. Hmm, to research Chivalry or MT? Most notably in GOTM28 I researched MT when Chivalry would have been enough on Monarch (due to that I lost lots of turns). Now I decided to finish the game with Knights. I have to regroup my forces anyway from the former Iroquois lands which takes over 4 turns total anyway.

Forces: 24 horseman, 3 caravels, 2 warriors (barbarian duty), 13 MI. Not enough to conquer. Almost every town set to produce horsemen or settlers.

360CE: other continent invasion starts. Rome first, I have had MA against them with Germans for ages. Another force heads for Russian's Great Lighthouse city. I have had MA against them with Spanish. Unfortunately, my stupid AI allies pillage roads, which slows my attack.

440CE: Rome reduced to one remote island city. Koreans have also cities there and I have MA with them against Rome. I need to attack both Germans and Koreans ASAP. Unfortunately, they have lots of troops near former Rome's lands. I have 36 Knights, 15 Horseman, 12 Caravels.

470CE: Russians are gone. Already attacked Koreans and formed alliance with Germans to get their troops somewhere away from me. Planning to ROP rape and attack Germany when their troops are between German and Korean lands (they are slow MIs and Longbowmen).

Everything goes as planned, I disband Knights to rush settlers and finish in 540CE with Domination victory! Later than I would have liked for this map, but still tolerable. I peaked at 50 Knights but I have only 26 in the end, and 29 Horsemen which I didn't need. I think my army estimates have really improved in recent games. I tended to have like 120 Cavalries around from which many weren't even seeing frontline.

This was a very hard game mentally. I tried to finish as quickly as I could so I even sold libraries etc. to get enough gold to rush settlers/temples in the end. Playtime was only 7 hours, I played it in a few takes, but now I feel really exhausted.

Jason score 11092.

Edit
Another mistake: I should have settled a town near American Iron and move Jags to it and upgrade them there. Now I roaded the jungle Iron which took way too long and then walked to the south with 1-move units. :(

Top Bottom