Classic GOTM 32: Spoiler 2 (end of middle ages)

rrau said:
If you had rushed a citizen from a captured Russian city and the one citizen was Russian and not of either Aztec or Spanish origin, then this can happen

I did not know that. The settler was rushed from either a RUS or ROM city, both of which were eliminated by that time.

Open

QSC timeline
Remainder of AA timeline

Entered MA in AD880, having bumped off the Americans and planning an assault on the Iroquois. I am way behind on tech though.

Darn - the dates are going to be a bit mangled in this post as it seems that Excel has had some fun with my spreadsheet :-( No that it matters much after my DoW against the Iroquois.

From Wonders build in the AA, I know that the Germans, Koreans, and Romans are out there. There were Russians too but they'd already gone. Germany had built a lot of Wonders, including Sun Tzu & Leo's, so I was expecting them to be dominant, when I found them. I was wrong, but it just goes to show what a strange game this is. (It got even stranger. But we'll save that for the final spoiler.)

The MA was my lowest ebb. I went to war, and whilst I came away with minor spoils, my military was severely weakened and the hit my rep took meant I couldn't trade my way up to tech parity. I think I only survived because I was #1 in land area and pop (and was giving away my plentiful Gems like they were going out of fashion).

From AD890 to AD1305, I was doing two things: building horses for conversion to Knights, and building suicide galleys.

AD1305: After a couple of failures, I meet a Spanish galley coming the other way, and trade for a few techs and communications. I'm a good half an era behind, though, and my resources don't stretch far enough. Even when I have lux trading available, by then they've met Hiawatha and he's mentioned my treatment of Lincoln. Surprise surprise, the Iroquois are very soon at tech parity. Still, one of the techs I get is Chivalry so tech gets set to zero and I start upgrading.

AD1405: I declare on the Iroquois. Bad idea. He's just got Gunpowder, and I've now gifted him a GA. Ploughing north to prevent him getting horses - and so restricting him to a possible Wonder GA - now seems by biggest mistake of the game.

AD1425: A peace treaty is signed. I captured three cities, one flipped back, I've taken out the one foothold he had beyond the choke points, and there are two cities in the far south that will be mine for the taking later (they only have Spears in them). However, in those five turns, my 30-ish knights have been smashed to bits, and whilst my choke point stack held, my military is in a bad way. And no GLs. (I got one GL all game, with a reasonably high number of Elite wins. The dice were not with me.)

AD1510: Everyone and his dog enters IA - apart from me. I'm sitting waiting for the Iroquois Cav to rush at me.

AD1595: DoW by Iroquois. Here we go. I planned to play it defensively, though I did capture the two deep-south cities that hadn't flipped.

AD1750: Peace with the Iroquois. Can't remember if I'd gone IA or not. I'd given up the ghost by then. They'd taken one of my cities, I'd held on to one I'd captured, and I was in dire straits, financially, on tech (still half an age behind and with nobody willing to sell, even the polite Spanish and Koreans).

So there I was, just starting the IA, the largest empire on the planet, and I was impotent. My army wouldn't scare a mouse, my infrastructure was bad, my friends weren't that friendly, and my enemies were right next door and, seemingly more powerful. What was I to do?

Neil :cool:

Megalou said:
Another interesting aspect in this game was that it was hard to get rid of the AI civs. But I don’t think there was any respawn involved.

I think they respawned, at least seems like Americans did it to me. Please someone explain the respawn rule to us! I think in GOTM25 when I was annihilating some civ, they just got to an available space and got a big archer/spearmen force!

A civ can respawn IF:

There is enough room left on the same landmass. Don't know what constitutes 'enough'.
It is early enough in the game. Don't know how late is too late.
Units are probably dependant on difficulty level but should include: at least 2 settlers, 4 spearmen, & 4 archers

Could be so. The Germans were the only ones who died right away for me, and by the time they did the available land was rather scarce.

Drazek, great win! The 15 turns you beat me by could perhaps be explained by better research pace in the AA, keeping the neighbors as trading partners. I also had to research Feudalism since the scientific guys only got Monotheism and Engineering. And your golden age was better timed than mine. My start seems a bit desperate compared to yours. For example: I partly wanted my early GA so that I would be sure to get the Lighthouse. And I was in a big hurry to nail America. Navigation was surely better for you than ship-hopping, as a natural consequence of leaving your neighbours alive much longer and researching while you fought them, whereas ship-hopping suited my dogged aggressive style. (Gasp)

Megalou said:
Army in 170 AD: 23 horsemen, 13 galleys, 18 native workers, 1 swordsman, 4 spearmen, 14 jags..

In 360 AD – 440 AD Rome is removed from its native lands.

I don't understand how you (and others players) transported your army to the other continent only with galleys (or even just with caravels) ? :confused: If I knew it was possible, I think i would have win earlier (I have not yet prepared the description of the second part part of my conquest but I will do it soon).

Bonsaï said:
I don't understand how you (and others players) transported your army to the other continent only with galleys (or even just with caravels) ?

I was more cautious than Megalou/Drazek as I waited until I had researched both Navigation and MT. Megalou did risk ships/troops when crossing the ocean wo. Navigation but only lost empty galleys.

Bonsaï said:
I don't understand how you (and others players) transported your army to the other continent only with galleys (or even just with caravels) ? :confused: If I knew it was possible, I think i would have win earlier (I have not yet prepared the description of the second part part of my conquest but I will do it soon).

Galleys are cheap, knights are dear. I'm using an allowed exploit called ship-hopping, explained here.

Let's look at this cute pic again. Way west you see an Aztec town. This town contains at least 4 knights and two galleys. A little further east you see two galleys waiting on a sea tile, 4 tiles away from the town. Those 2 galleys are safe because I have the Great Lighthouse. Then you see 2 galleys shaking with fear on a dangerous ocean tile. They are another 4 tiles away from the town. The rest of the galleys have made it over earlier, and are busy unloading.

Now, imagine pressing the space bar for next turn. What happens?
25% chance: two galleys are lost.
25% chance: no galleys are lost.
50 % chance: one galley is lost, one survives.

Let's say the third, most likely alterative, happens. I will then load two knights into a galley in the town to the west. This galley will sail 4 tiles east and reload the knights to one of the galleys on that tile (just choose "Wake transported"). That galley will sail to the dangerous ocean tile and reload the knights to the galley that survived. Then the knights will be carried 4 tiles further east, to safety. This way, no knights have been risked.

Note: when the above procedure is completed, I will automatically have another galley placed on the dangerous ocean tile, so it's important to have more galleys and knights waiting to the west. Otherwise, a galley will be risked for nothing. Because I did no research, I could easily afford hurrying galleys.

Hope this is clear!

Detlef Richter said:
This is the first time i have a lucky situation at a GOTM.
I've got three GL (for armys) and only 2 AI's are still alive.
I now try to win bevor the IA ends.

Ha, i have it.
Only 10 years later i've won by Domination.
Firaxis: 4227 points
Jason: 6871 points
:band: [dance] Yeahhhh this was my best GOTM ever. Because this was my first win :lol:

Detlef Richter said:
Ha, i have it.
:band: [dance] Yeahhhh this was my best GOTM ever. Because this was my first win :lol:
Congratulations! :goodjob:

Montezuma sat in his recently upgraded palace (they peasants have now added spires in front his cave) and wondered what was next on the agenda. Hiawatha is confined to a single tundra city, but Abe still has six American cites left. We might as well complete the acquisition of the remaining lands. “Call in my generals” he ordered.

A messenger burst in as Montezuma was getting his afternoon massage, “My Lord Montezuma, horrible news from Governor Gozpel in Salamanca, it appears the peasants in Allegheny have revolted against your rule and have executed Governor Strider. His body is hung from the city gates”. Montezuma arose from the table and bellowed “This is an outrage, get my chief of staff”.

“Madame Moonsinger, those impudent peasants in Allegheny must be punished” Montezuma said. “Patience my lord, our troops are in position to acquire the American cites, it would be a shame to disturb such well-laid plans” cautioned his wise counselor. “Alright, I’ll remain calm, that Strider was always crying wolf anyway, but he was an official I appointed and should have been treated with respect. First those poorly placed American cities, then move the troops north. We’ll show those Iroquois the meaning of Aztec Justice,” promised Montezuma.

The American acquisition went even better than the generals had planned, the first six American cities fell without losing a single Aztec swordsman. The final city was razed as a warning to all the American peasants as a caution not to repeat the foul deeds of the Iroquois.

Back in the capital city, the masons were very busy completing the main floor of the palace and then adding a pair of new wings (the left one for his conservative advisors and the right one for the liberals). A competition sprung up in the nearby city of Teot for the affections for Montezuma as a new Forbidden Palace was created for him on the shores northeast of the capital. This new palace spread a feeling of joy and happiness throughout the kingdom and Montezuma saw additional gold begin to flow to his treasury.

“I’ve got some old business and some new business to address at this meeting” Montezuma began as he addressed his assembled advisors. “Admiral Bugsy, travelers continue to mention other countries across the waters, we need to contact them. That is your new priority as the leader of my navy. General Grahamiam, I think it’s time for Hiawatha and his followers to move on to the happy hunting grounds see to it immediately. While the boys are out playing, ladies I have some jobs for you right here at home. Madame Moonsinger, we need to encourage science in our cities, lest we find ourselves backward when the Admiral finds the other lands. Libraries are needed as soon as you can get them constructed. Madame Oddity, to you I give the task of making our people happy, temples and marketplaces will get them smiling, now be off with all of you it’s time for my lunch.”

Madame Moonsinger entered nearly giddy, “My lord, a project you began long ago has finally completed and the populace is going bonkers over this new War Academy. Word of this new wonder has sparked our builders to donate additional work to the Kingdom and buildings everywhere are completing in record time. That special project I was working on with Copernicus will be opening tomorrow and I want you to be the first to look at the stars”. The joyous mood was damped when the two military men entered the room, both looking somber and the General carrying a box. Suddenly they both smiled, the general spoke “the Iroquois are no more and I bring you the head of Hiawatha”. Montezuma smiled but wasn’t in the mood to have blood disturb the ladies of his court so ordered the box removed from the room. “And your reason for smiling Admiral? “ Montezuma asked. “Your majesty you are aware that our forays to the east have been unsuccessful, I bring you news from the west. It seems our galley; the Nina foundered within sight of a coastline, while all hands were lost it appears we have gained a line of communication to Wang Kong, the King of the Korean people.

Montezuma opened another dispatch from the east. “These back and forth trade negotiations have taken quite a while, but six new technologies and contact with the rest of the world made it worthwhile. I think it’s time for the people to have a bigger say in what the government is all about. They’ll work harder and steal less if they have a say in where the gold goes. It’s too bad Abe & Hiawatha weren’t around to update our new friends about the ways of the Aztecs,” he said smiling.

Clever trading soon brought four new luxuries to the Aztec Republic as well as the knowledge of Metallurgy and Navigation. The discovery of Magnetism signaled the entry of the Aztec Republic into the Age of Industry and with that the masons completed the second floor on his home. The same year his nation was proclaimed the happiest on the planet. The happiness project the Minister Oddity planned was nearing completion, Admiral Bugsy had a small fleet of Galleons (6) and General Grahamiam was busy filling those boats with cavalry. Soon some western lands would be flying the banner of the Aztecs. But again, that must wait for another day.

Open [ptw] 1.27f

Ancient Age Spoiler

I entered the Middle Ages 400 AD.

I was in constant war during almost the whole Middle Ages. First I destroyed the Americans and then the Iroquois. This generated a total of four Military Great Leaders.

The first I used to build an Army to be able to build the Heroic Epic.
The second I used to hurry Sistine Chapel.
The third I used to hurry Forbidden Palace in former American lands.
My fourth MGL was used to hurry JS Bach Cathedral.

To note is also that I made contact with the much more advanced tribes already in Ancient Age and did catch up in tech with the Great Library. This meant that I mostly was fighting with Medieval Infantry/Knights against Spears/Archers.

Culture Buildings in Tenochtitlan:
Cathedral 720AD
Leonardo’s Workshop 1010AD
Sistine Chapel 1020AD
Heroic Epic 1120AD
University 1200AD
Copernicus Observatory 1335AD
Js Bach Cathedral 1355AD

20K Forecast Tenochtitlan:
1435AD, 7428 Culture, 75 Culture/turn
1951AD, 20029 Culture, 78 Culture/turn

I entered Industrial Age 1435AD.

PS. Awesome game Kuningas :goodjob:, I seem to be ages behind already.

Attachments

• t.neo_gotm32_1435ad_128.gif
    t.neo_gotm32_1435ad_128.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 295
I am playing Civilization III using the newest patch 1.29f. I am playing in the Open level, which means there are no additional advantages or disadvantages due to the level which I am playing in addition to the advantages and disadvantages given playing the difficulty of Monarch, which all players are playing.

In my previous spoiler, my warriors included some classified information in their journals which I had to censor. I will start by showing some recently declassified entries.

570 BC: We have learned the city of Berlin has built the Great Pyramids and that the city of Madrid has built the Oracle. I've never heard of these cities, so I assume they must be on a different continent. More warriors have joined us in Washington, so we shall soon continue our invasion. We shall head to New York.

170 AD: Berlin built the Great Library, and Moscow built the Great Wall. We have started building galleys to explore the water.

470 AD: Unfortunately, the galley sank before it could meet anyone. Madrid has finished the Hanging Gardens.

500 AD: We have met Rome. They know Germany, Russia, Spain, and Korea. They also know those deep thoughts, the writing of stories, the use of money, and a new type of government called monarchy. We learn Monarchy from America in return for the study of mathematics and laws. We also learn their world map. [Last sentence had been edited in previous spoiler.]
510 AD: Our "philosophers" have learned much. We will focus our learning in other areas. We buy contact with Korea from Rome for knowledge of our world map and 10 gold. Korea knows how to write stories, but not how to construct buildings well. We buy contact with Russia, Germany, and Spain for our knowledge of construction, our world map, and 62 gold. Russia, Germany, and Spain know how to write stories, the use of money, and a form of government called a republic [Rome probably knew this too, but I didn't record it]. [I said I would mention my technical problems, so I shall. I had problems talking to Spain. Another thread discusses this; I solved it before seeing this thread.] We buy the knowledge of using money from Russia for our world map and 14 gold. Russia, Germany, Spain, and Rome all know how to choose one god to worship. Germany, Spain, and Rome know a system called feudalism, where lower people work the land of greater people. We buy the knowledge of this system from Spain for our world map and 279 gold. We buy the knowledge of how to worship one god from Russia for knowledge of feudalism and 82 gold. We choose to worship Huitzilopochtli [the god of war and the sun]. We buy Germany's world map for our world map and 25 gold. We sell the knowledge of using money to Korea for knowledge of writing stories, their world map, and 66 gold. They already know how to worship one god. We sell our world map to Russia for theirs. We buy Spain's world map for our world map and 1 gold. We decide to continue to study religion. [Ahuitzotl's journal shall end here. He continued writing, but his journal has less of a personal note than the following journals.]

My goal at this moment was to learn navigation and military tradition so I could send cavalry to conquer the other continent. Since my jaguar warriors played no more important role, I shall show the journals of a knight and of a cavalry. Let me summarize what happened before my first knight was trained.

In 610 AD, Germany, Russia, and Spain all knew engineering and chivalry. In that year I decided to revolt. In 620 AD, I became a monarchy. In 680 AD, I learned theology. I sold it to Spain for chivalry, 46 gold per turn, and 18 gold. I sold it to Russia for engineering, 2 gold per turn, and 24 gold. Since Germany wasn't willing to give much, I didn't trade it to him. If I had remembered that Germany had the Great Library, I would have given it to him free. I sold engineering and theology to Rome for The Republic, their world map, and 18 gold. I started researching Printing Press (I originally planned to trade since I thought nobody else would research; in hindsight, I should have started on education immediately). In 690 AD, I added a second story to my palace. In 720 AD, Spain learned invention. By 740 AD, he had sold it to Germany and Russia. In 750 AD, I learned printing press and started on education. The other notable events will be recorded in the following journals.

Journal of Acamapichtli, soldier in 1st Knight Regiment
[Acamapichtli was the first unofficial emperor. (Various sites say different things regarding the first emperor as either Acamapichtli or Itzcoal)]
800 AD: After a lot of training, I have joined the 1st Knight Regiment. We set off from Teotihuacan to the Iroquois land. When enough warriors have come, we shall defeat the Iroquois.
820 AD: We have learned how to keep our people better educated. We shall start to study the stars to be safer in deeper water.
850 AD: Rome has learned how to invent new things. We sell the knowledge of education to Spain for this knowledge of invention, their world map, 15 gold per turn, and 45 gold. We sell education to Germany for their world map, 3 gold per turn, and 12 gold; we sell it to Russia for 1 gold per turn and 29 gold; we sell it to Rome for 5 gold per turn. Spain knows how to use a better weapon called a gun.
880 AD: We declare war on the Iroquois. One archer was killed and all other knights are preparing to invade.
890 AD: Another knight has destroyed St. Regis. Our regiment has taken out a nearby archer. Two regiments have easily captured Mauch Chunk.
900 AD: We have learned to view the stars. We are now refining our studies so we can navigate with them without necessarily knowing where the coast is. We tell Spain about the stars in return for their guns, world map, 1 gold per turn, and 139 gold. We see the resource saltpeter, which is necessary for guns to work.
910 AD: Germany knows about the stars and guns. Russia knows about guns. Korea has gained engineers to perform their advanced building projects.
920 AD: Along with another regiment, we have killed all spearmen in Tonawanda. Only archers are left.
930 AD: We kill all archers and raze Tonawanda. Our many battles have caused us to become elites. Two regiments capture Niagra Falls. The Iroquois have been defeated, and all of their remaining warriors run away. Spain knows how to use chemicals.
940 AD: Construction of the palace is going well. Two wings have been added.
950 AD: Berlin has built the Sistine Chapel.
980 AD: We now can sail anywhere using the stars to navigate us. We tell Spain about it and how to print books faster in return for knowledge of chemistry. We also give 65 gold. We sell the printing press to Germany for their world map, 2 gold per turn, and 14 gold; we sell it to Russia for 12 gold per turn and 25 gold. We feel sorry for Rome, so we tell them about it without asking anything in return [actually it was accidental, but Rome had little to give]. We start to research how to use metals better. We see some barbarians, so my regiment will go to kill them.
990 AD: Seville has finished Copernicus's Observatory.
1010 AD: Barbarians have pillaged land near Niagra Falls. We attack their camp, but have not destroyed it yet. We declare war on America. Unfortunately, it seems our regiment will not help in this war. We shall head to Cattaraugus to prepare the invasion of the other continent
1020 AD: St. Petersburg has finished Sun Tzu's Art of War. We kill the horsemen in the barbarian camp and raze it. Two regiments capture Seattle, and one regiment destroys San Francisco. All remaining American soldiers run away and are not seen again. Spain, Russia, and Germany have started to build banks to loan money to their citizens.
1030 AD: Barcelona has finished Magellan's Voyage.
1040 AD: Trees have been planted in the palace lawn. Russia has learned to look at the stars, and Germany can navigate with them. Germany, Spain, and Russia know how to make really good music. We sell the knowledge of chemicals to Germany for their furs, world map, 10 gold per turn, and 74 gold. We sell the knowledge of chemistry and of how to navigate using the stars to Russia for the knowledge of music theory and banks, and their world map. Our people are happy to get products made with fur.
1050 AD: Spain has started settling our continent. We shall teach them some day. We learn how to use metals better. We start to investigate better organizing our military.
1090 AD: Spain has changed their government to a democracy, where everyone has a say. I think our leader can do well enough by himself.
1120 AD: Spain and Germany have learned how to better use metals. We have set up a route to obtain saltpeter so we can produce guns.
1130 AD: Russia can use metals well now too.
1140 AD: Murcia has finished Leonardo's Workshop. We learn military tradition. Many knights are given guns and are now called cavalry. Since our regiment are already so skilled as knights, we are not retrained. I fear we may have a secondary role in the coming war.
1170 AD: Russia knows the government called democracy, and Spain knows military tradition.
[As he feared, Acamapichtli has played a nonexistant role. I was hoping to use him for leader hunting, and probably will do so on my continent. I have decided to show the journal of someone new.]

My post was slightly too long, so I will continue with the next journal in a subsequent post.

Journal of Axayacatl, soldier in 1st Cavalry Regiment
[Axayacatl was the third official emperor of the Aztecs.]
1180 AD: I have joined the 1st Cavalry Regiment. Our regiment, trained in Calixtlahuaca, will head to Cattaraugus to board ships to the other continent. Three caravels filled with cavalry have already headed to Korea. Russia and Germany have learned more about money. We sell knowledge of military tradition to Germany for this knowledge, their world map, and 6 gold per turn. We sell our advanced knowledge of money to Spain for their world map and 61 gold.
1190 AD: We declare war on Korea, and 9 cavalry regiments land outside their cities.
1200 AD: Two regiments are needed to capture Inch'on, and three capture Cheju. The three other regiments near Cheju head to Seoul. They successfully capture Seoul. Russia has learned military tradition, and Korea has learned about guns.
1210 AD: [The other technical problem mentioned in the other thread occured now.] Two regiments capture P'yongyang.
1230 AD: Two regiments capture Namp'o. All Korean military units are repulsed. Rome shall be our next victim.
1260 AD: We have landed on our new continent.
1265 AD: Spain and Russia know about new scientific ideas, such as matter and energy.
1270 AD: We declare war on Rome. Six regiments attack Hyangsang, which is heavily defended. One regiment is killed, three retreat, and the other two capture the city. We move towards Neapolis.
1275 AD: Rome counterattack and kill two regiments in Hyangsang.
1280 AD: Along with another regiment, we kill all units in Neapolis and raze the city. We have become elite, but are injured. Two regiments raze Ravenna, and more regiments kill other Roman soldiers. More troops move towards Veii. Germany has learned the new science, called "physics."
1285 AD: Rome kills two regiments in counterattacks, and we are injured. Moscow has finished JS Bach's Cathedral. Spain, Germany, and Russia have learned to make art. Two regiments capture Veii.
1290 AD: Madrid has finished Smith's Trading Company.
1295 AD: Roman longbowmen have killed one cavalry regiment. Cologne has finished Shakespeare's Theater. A regiment avenges their fellow regiment's death. We head to Rome along with two other regiments.
1300 AD: A Roman longbowman has attacked us. We are victorious, but slightly injured. One regiment kills a musketman regiment, another attacks pikemen and die, and we kill some pikemen. The city is not yet ours, however.
1305 AD: Our leader asks Spain to leave, since their knight has invaded our territory. Spain says that they will. Another regiment has killed a musketman to capture a Roman settler. We buy the knowledge of physics for spices, dyes, our world map, and 109 gold. We sell our world map to Russia for their world map and 41 gold, and we sell it to Germany for their world map and 46 gold. [I thought Spain might have attacked me. The knight seemed to be innocently heading to another city, however.] Spain knows how to use "magnets," which have two "poles" that attract each other, but repel poles of the same type. This will improve sailing.
1310 AD: Spain wants our silks. TimBentley refuses to give in, and Spain accepts his refusal. A second story has been added to the east wing.
1320 AD: [I didn't record well where Axayacatl went from 1300 to 1315.] Our regiment and another regiment kill some pikemen to capture Rome. We get wines. Our people are now drunk, but happy. Rome has learned to navigate with the stars. We must kill them before they can leave the continent.
1325 AD: A regiment has razed Pisea. Spain, Russia, and Germany have learned about a force [or is it really a force, or a field, or caused by gravitons, or something else? This is probably not the place to discuss scientific theory, so I shall call it a force since that is what Axayacatl thinks it is, as people in Newton's time called it a force] called "gravity" which keeps us on the earth. We buy knowledge of magnets from Spain for gems, silks, our world map, and 1461 gold. We sell this knowledge to Russia for their world map, 23 gold per turn, and 34 gold. We buy knowledge of gravity from Germany for knowledge of magnets, our world map, and 100 gold.
[I have entered the Industrial Ages, which marks the end of this spoiler. Axayacatl's journal will continue in the next spoiler, where he will finish this entry and write many more.]

Now for some final remarks. I was hoping to dominate with my cavalry before entering the Industrial Ages. I may have trouble killing the CENSORED (I keep trying to censor unclassified material; I am referring to the rifleman) with cavalry. CENSORED (goodness, why do I keep doing this? Artillery) will help when I get them, but CENSORED (sigh, infantry) will be trouble. Hopefully, I will win before I get CENSORED (tanks). Researching Printing Press was probably a waste of time, and if I had traded less, it may have taken longer for the other civilizations to reach the Industrial Ages, prolonging the usefulness of my cavalry. I think my general research plan was successful, as the AI never learned something as I was researching it, and I managed to get to my desired technologies (navigation and military tradition) pretty quickly by combining self research and trading. In the next spoiler, I will hopefully conquer Rome (they only have 3 cities left), Germany, Russia, and Spain to win a conquest victory. I could have gotten my forces across the ocean faster if I had used the ship-hopping exploit, but I didn't think of that.

It looks like German are going for culture win, they have 4-5 wonders in thier capital. Is culture victory possible for the them. I have two options, one attack to German and captured at least their capital. Is it possible to move wonders from one city to another, if yes then is it allowed in GOTM. My second target is Spain. They are the second powerful civ. All civs. in other continent are advanced than me.

Detlef Richter said:
Ha, i have it.

Congratulations! :thumbsup: And a very good score too!! :yeah:

maharaja said:
It looks like German are going for culture win, they have 4-5 wonders in thier capital. Is culture victory possible for the them.

They did this in my game, too. They got wiped out (but not by me).

Neil. :cool:

PTW 1.27 – Open - AA spoiler

Making contact with the new world brought knowledge and glory to the Aztec people. Promising times were ahead for king Montezuma as his empire sat atop the world rankings entering the Middle Ages. Unfortunately, this power would not last. Upon entering the Middle Ages, the country demanded a new way to be governed. The people were tired of their meager state in Despotism, thus a republic state was declared. From then on the Aztec nation would fall into a complacency that would fortunately only cost them their pride and not their lives.

The years passed by with little change. Knowledge was gained, trades were brokered, and buildings were built. The winds of war began to blow around the Aztec capital. Their neighbors to the North and South were locked in a long distance war with the innocent Aztecs in the middle. The year AD 870 brought troops from both the Iroquois and American nations onto the lands of the Aztecs. Montezuma was scurrying to avoid an ill prepared for war. Ambassadors were sent to each nation in hopes of averting conflict. Montezuma authorized the giving of gifts to each nation to appease them. It turns out neither nation wanted war with the Aztecs, what they both desired, in fact, was each other’s blood. Both armies advanced and the sober year of AD 920 a great battle began between the Iroquois and Americans.

Montezuma watched the carnage through his palace window. As the two armies fought to a stand still, the king received word that the tiny nation of Russia had been removed from the face of the Earth. In fear, Montezuma pushed his advisors to fortify the nation through a stronger military. To this end, the great wonders Leonardo’s Workshop and Magellan’s Expedition were constructed. This brought a smile to the king’s face but only for a short time. An engineer brought news that the Aztecs lacked saltpeter, a key ingredient needed for military expansion. Scouts returned with word that the Iroquois had excess sources in their lands with one source quite close to the Aztec borders in Niagara Falls.

A devious idea formed in the king’s head. And set forth was a plan to capture Niagara Falls and its saltpeter. But first, we must use the Iroquois as our puppet and trade for the saltpeter so that our armies may be strong when war comes. After several years of happy trade with the Iroquois the time had come in AD 1310 to take the saltpeter for good. In that year Operation Niagara’s Fall began. The first two targets would be the border cities of Centralia and Cattaraugus. Both were quickly liberated from the Iroquois rule. However, the road to Niagara Falls was tough. Many warriors were lost. A temporary stalemate was reach in AD 1360 as the Aztec people finally learned the Theory of Gravity and Magnetism and entered the Industrial Age.

Many choices riddle Montezuma at this moment. Should the Aztecs continue to war with the Iroquois for the saltpeter? Should they secure an intermediate source of saltpeter from Germany for techs? How will the Aztecs find ultimate victory in the future? Hopefully the Industrial Ages will shed some light on the great Aztec civilization.

Empire at AD1360:

Mini map at AD1360

Score at AD1360

DJMGator13 said:
Link to my AA spoiler

Reassess the Remaining Civilizations
GER – territory=240 tiles, 107 gold, 10 cities, furs & incense
SPN – territory=254 tiles, 0 gold, 14 cities, wines & ivory
ROM – territory=163 tiles, 0 gold, 7 cities, wines , down EDUC & METAL
KOR – territory=114 tiles, 66gold, 5 cities, no lux, down EDUC & METAL, down iron & saltpeter
RUS – territory=182 tiles, 5 gold, 7 cities, incense, down ASTRON & METAL

Forgive me if this is a basic question, but how do you know the number of tiles occupied by every civ ?

Top Bottom