• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

I do not think slavery is something that ought to be expounded upon because a) this is a game that is very much geared to portray historical matter in more positive, gilded lights and try to leave aside the much worse stuff, and b) isn't taking Workers by force basically that anyway?

I mean the game even keeps track of the original owners of them, a sort of emancipation event or chain of such could be much better dealt with by either keeping such workers at a cost, returning them all to their owners for a reward, or having them all become population.

I do not think slavery is something that ought to be expounded upon because a) this is a game that is very much geared to portray historical matter in more positive, gilded lights and try to leave aside the much worse stuff, and b) isn't taking Workers by force basically that anyway?

I mean the game even keeps track of the original owners of them, a sort of emancipation event or chain of such could be much better dealt with by either keeping such workers at a cost, returning them all to their owners for a reward, or having them all become population.

We could have a slave unit that can be used to increase production in a tile, and when the tile is destroyed, it'll be released...

As I said a little while back, I honestly think that we shouldn't have slaves as a resource. Even if you could figure out an interesting mechanic for it, it'd probably still make a lot of folks uncomfortable, myself included. I get that it was a thing in a lot of colonies, but I'd much rather we just skimmed over this particular aspect of colonial history.

I semi-concur. I think slavery does have a place here because of its historical accuracy, but let's leave slavery to a stand-alone mod that can toggled on or off separately.

I think you mean Oranges.

/eu4modjoke

Don't worry, I got it.

To weigh in on the slavery thing, I think if it is to be represented, it has to be tasteful. Representing human lives as resources, objects to be traded and used, is perhaps close to the brutality of the event, but is certainly not a tasteful way to depict the tragedy. Special units perhaps, but honestly if no way can be devised to treat the subject as carefully as it deserves, don't put it in.

Well, there's this.

If that exists, then I don't really think we really need to concern ourselves with attempting to integrate slaves into the game.

Now we can get back to talking about possible colonial resources that aren't nearly as controversial! :D

If that exists, then I don't really think we really need to concern ourselves with attempting to integrate slaves into the game.

Now we can get back to talking about possible colonial resources that aren't nearly as controversial! :D

Yes, exactly. Now, I believe we were discussing Opium :p

Yes, exactly. Now, I believe we were discussing Opium :p

Indeed we were! (It says a lot about our discussion that this is actually a step down in regards to controversy.) I'm okay with Opium being in the game. While it is generally frowned upon nowadays, it was hugely popular in Britain during the height of its colonial power. While the application of such a substance is morally questionable, I believe that such an issue could be resolved by merely banning the resource, akin to how Whales can be banned once the World Congress/United Nations convenes. With that said, I could understand if someone might feel uncomfortable having Opium be a part of the mod.

TL;DR edition: I'm cool with Opium being modded in, but I can understand if you don't.

I'm not looking to include Slaves in the Governor's featured pack.

Yep! Also, look who I found hiding in Sydney!

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I took some photos of O'Higgins, Bolivar, Eva and Castilla on the Patria Grande side of things :)

Sydney had some great statues.

What's with the Spanish leader statues?

What's with the Spanish leader statues?

Well, Wellington has a statue of Gandhi outside it's train station, so clearly the city planners of Australia and NZ just throw in whatever they want.

How about Chapultepec itself? The castle is a cultural treasure, so the trait fits. :)

*edit*

Could have a pre-built Great Work of Art, too - the mural commemorating the Hero Children.

I literally just realized that Chapultepec has nothing to do with Faith, so instead of +1 Faith per defensive building, it should be +1 Culture from defensive buildings. Dunno why it just hit me, though lol

Well, Wellington has a statue of Gandhi outside it's train station, so clearly the city planners of Australia and NZ just throw in whatever they want.

What does wellington has to do with New Zealand?(says the guy who has world map above his bed)
Statue of Gandhi in a former British colony... colonial legacy...

Wellington is the capital of NZ. Even if Gandhi was from a former British colony, that's a negligible connection to NZ. Not as bad as Rizal in Sydney, granted, but still ridiculous to me.

Top Bottom