• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

I'm Australian, so I spell Honour, Honour - but in reference to the game I say Honor.

I also might apply a Cul Diversity view of things to select Statues based on the Cultural Groupings (what if we made Statues actual improvements?).

Honor, armor, color, ardor.
Have I committed enough blasphemy against your god of Correct Spelling, Viregel?

I wouldn't make Statues improvements unless you want to get rid of Landmarks... there's an idea for you though - make Statues unbuildable and unpurchaseable, but make it so that you can expend a Great Artist inside a city to create a Statue building.

*Honour. I don't care how the game spells it, that's how it should be spelt.

Not a bad idea anyway; I guess that making the Honour statue powerful enough would help make the tree more viable.

Well that's new... aren't honor and honour different thing?
I thought honor means respect, and honour is like "in memory of..." or to respect

Well that's new... aren't honor and honour different thing?
I thought honor means respect, and honour is like "in memory of..." or to respect

No, honor and honour are simply two different ways of spelling the same word. Folks from the US tend to omit the "u" in a handful of words. I won't go to far into specifics, since honour can be technically be defined in multiple ways, depending on how someone applies the word, but to honour someone does mean to respect them.

How apt it is that an American messes up Civilisation. =]

There's also Scottish English, which has some unique words...

When did this become a matter of honor to everyone involved?:p
And while Scottish English has some words of its own, I would call it more of a regional dialect than a separate language. My reasoning: I'm not aware of different accents within Scottish English, while there are plenty in American English.
Slightly off topic, I love the sound of a Scottish accent... I have no idea why, since I don't really like listening to an Irish accent despite being part Irish. Go figure.

When did this become a matter of honor to everyone involved?:p
And while Scottish English has some words of its own, I would call it more of a regional dialect than a separate language. My reasoning: I'm not aware of different accents within Scottish English, while there are plenty in American English.
Slightly off topic, I love the sound of a Scottish accent... I have no idea why, since I don't really like listening to an Irish accent despite being part Irish. Go figure.

IKR. I don't like Russian despite my family being of Russian decent. I also like Scottish accent.

Folks from the US tend to omit the "u" in a handful of words.
Who has that much time on their hands that they can waste it writing/typing out all those needless u's? My hand is cramping just thinking about it.

I myself am really weird in that, I prefer spell "armor" the British way (armour), but spell all the other words ending in -or the 'Murican way. Color, honor, ardor... armour. I don't even known why. :p
We also like to switch around the positions of e and r in words ending in "-re". What Brits call a theatre, we call a theater.

The CivFanatics modding forums -- come for the fantastic modded civs, stay for the intellectual discussions of history, culture, and linguistics! :D

Gah, I hate words ending in -re for Brits. They're such blatant leftovers from the Norman conquest. I mean, the words are identical to their French equivalents!
What's wrong with that? French is an awesome language! I hope to someday fluently speak it. :D

Gah, I hate words ending in -re for Brits. They're such blatant leftovers from the Norman conquest. I mean, the words are identical to their French equivalents!

I always end up using the "re" version. Spectre, amphitheatre, theatre, etc.

Top Bottom