Colonialist Legacies: Histories of the New World | Colonial + Pre-Colonial civs

That shouldn't preclude Viregel from making his own, if it were him...
I actually agree with that. However, if Viregel was concerned about CL making a Sioux civ, it stands to reason that at least he would care about other people making the same civ as him. Then it could be reasoned that, if he doesn't want other people making a Sioux civ so that he can be unique in making one, he's too late.

Now we know Viregel actually wasn't going to make a Sioux civ, but that's about how my thought process went.

Alright, let me give you a bit of insight into the Blackfoot design process, in hopes that it clears a few things up.

1) Originally, the Blackfoot were designed fairly differently. Research for the First Nations civs is very difficult for me. Basically, almost every First Nations team is very similar. They all use some sort of longhouse, wield similar weapons, became very powerful when they acquired horses, use similar forms of meritocratic government, and typically lived nomadic or seminomadic lifestyles. There are exceptions (patrilineal government, seasonal sedentary lifestyles, etc), but that's the jist of it. Coming up with UAs and UUs and UBs and UIs is therefore very hard. In many cases, the Uniques that I call "Unique" are not truly unique to the culture, but are a big cornerstone of the culture.

Part of this is the "fault" of the Cree, because they are so huge and so diverse, so almost every other First Nation's uniqueness has been absorbed into the Cree way(s) of life.

Basically what I'm saying is that if I could do it all over and had the skill to do so, I would pretty much build a whole new tech tree and whole new unit/building list and playstyle for "New World Nomads" and then give the specific civs variations from that. But that is not going to happen, not in this specific set, anyhow. (Unless you all think we can do that and are willing to do some serious heavy lifting to see it happen.)

So, back to the early Blackfoot. Early on, when I was gathering a list of fairly recognizable first nations of Canada (Blackfoot, Cree, Mi'kmaq, Ojibwe,) I chose them specifically to cover areas of Canada. The Blackfoot were brought in to be my "Plains"/Western Prairies team. As such, I have always wanted them to be focused on inland play, rather than coastal. Originally, when doing my research, I came out with three basic unique elements of the Blackfoot:
1) They had a taboo of sorts about water, due to their beliefs about water spirits, and the belief that the Blackfoot were allied with these water spirits, who gave them magic as part of their allegience, but that the treaty basically involved a clause saying "we don't enter their lands and they don't enter ours."
2) Like all other Plains nations, the Blackfoot Counted Coup. In history, this was done by touching a living enemy and then surviving to tell about it, ideally without getting wounded. This could also be done from horseback with the aid of a coup stick. Archers could count coup as well, but they had to do it with their hands, so it was still dangerous. As a person counted coup, they gained much prestige and, in the case of a war, the person who had counted the most coups became the War Chief, leading the Blackfoot into battle. This system put leadership in the hands of the person who was the best survivor, most cunning, dextrous, and intelligent, rather than in the hands of the bloodthirsty.
3) The Blackfoot were dependent upon the Buffalo, and built Pounds and used Buffalo Jumps to aid in gathering them.

Originally, I had the Blackfoot built like so:
UA) No work boats, gain faith from water tiles (later, river tiles)
UB) Barracks replacement. Allows units to Count Coup, which at the time gave various fairly random bonuses.
UB) Buffalo Jump. Replaced the Water Mill (a huge no-no for keeping water spirits happy) with something that required hills instead.

Once I actually started testing out the Blackfoot, some very serious problems arose:

1) Faith from water tiles is (unsurprisingly) extremely powerful. It would generate a ton of faith for the Blackfoot without the player ever lifting a finger. It also pushes players to play near water, which wasn't what I wanted at all.
2) The Barracks replacement felt terrible. An optional building that contributes a ton to your gameplay and basically makes you feel flat when you don't build it (and makes you feel flat until you build it) is a really bad idea.
3) Buffalo Jumps were too bland and furthermore too punishing if you didn't build your cities on hills. Plus, the Blackfoot are Plains people. Making them put all their buildings on hills made them feel more like Hill people.

At this point, I began to consider making the Barracks into a UA. It didn't feel right, however, since in Blackfoot culture any warrior of any kind can Count Coup. Restricting it to a single unit or even to a set of units seemed to be a huge mistake. I decided that Counting Coup should be on all of the time, which would encourage warlike play and feel better. Players should be going through the actions of trying to count as much Coup as possible, rather than being able to ignore it.

Having changed the UA into Counting Coup, I also went over Counting Coup several times, working it until it felt "right." Nowadays (newer info than TPang has,) Counting Coup works like so:
1) The first time you count coup, the unit in question gains a bomb of experience. This is enough to level it up at low levels, but if it is at high levels, it will not necessarily level.
2) The second time you count coup, if your unit is level 2 or higher (it will be,) the unit generates a small amount of culture, equal to about half its base strength.
3) The third time you count coup, the unit generates a twice the culture and gains a promotion that increases the power of nearby units. In order to gain this reward, the unit must be at least level 3.
4) After the unit has reached level 4, each subsequent coup count results in a one-turn Golden Age. Multiple fully legendary units can create long-term Golden Ages if you use them properly.

This version of Counting Coup pushes the player towards military play in order to scale up the levels faster, and encourages a lot of Coup Counting.

How do you successfully count coup? I iterated over this a lot (and am willing to share how I got here) but what I have now works like this:
1) You attack an enemy.
2) You go forward one turn, allowing the enemy to respond.
3) If, at the start of your next turn, you are very healthy (70+) and an enemy unit that is adjacent to you is not (25-), and you meet the appropriate level requirements, you will gain a coup.

Phew. Too much info, I know.

Back to the other parts of the Blackfoot.

The Buffalo Jump needed a rebuild. It was too bland and too hill-focused, so I chose to replace it with the Plains-focused Buffalo Pound. In order to spice it up, I had it spit out a Buffalo (because Firaxis gave us Bison, the Buffalo is a Bison with Gold/Food instead of just Food.) This way, you get a cool resource, but it can be taken away from you (pillaged.)
Overall, much better. The Buffalo Pound is no longer bland, and it pushes the player to play more in-land. On Plains.
You can still play on the coast, but it's more of an inland thing.

Now, what to do with the UA? I wasn't just going to drop the Sacred Waters thing. It was the cool distinctive cultural thing about the Blackfoot, more unique to them than anything else (Counting Coup is done by the Sioux and the Cree, too.)
The problem with UIs is that they can be duplicated over and over and over, making it hard to balance them to your cities. With food and prod, and to a lesser extend culture, this isn't too bad, but with Faith it gets powerful very quickly. So, a second UB. Overall, I figured that the lack of a UU wasn't too terrible given the awesome war-focused UA.
Eventually I settled on the UU being a river-requiring shrine. It feels good and pushes the player to build their cities in certain, typically inland places.

So, why the Work boat ban? Largely, for legacy reasons. I've been toying with taking it out and nerfing the Nato-oh Siskoom down to less Faith generated.

For TL;DR reasons:

1) The no-boats ban only exists currently to push people away from the coasts and in-land. I admit without reading my wall of text above, it makes no sense, so I think I should get rid of it and rebalance.
2) If 2 UBs are truly a problem, I could build a UI that goes in Lakes and Oases and produces faith, but I feel like that would just be a hassle (Workers can't build on lakes themselves) and the current UB Nato-oh Siskoom provides similar functionality.
3) Building a UU is a possibility, but it has a major amount of issues, including art and restricting counting coup to a single unit.
4) Counting coup is admittedly very complex. I'm up for suggestions on how to improve it. Do be mildly sensitive -- it's all coded up and works, and retooling it may waste that work, but I'm with Virugel on this: Gameplay is king. If you can't enjoy Counting Coup, it needs a redesign.

Oh, and sorry for the triple post:

I haven't done the Sioux because they aren't a Canadian First Nation (American. May work on those next,) and because LastSword has done (a masterful job of) them.

I did do the research and I readily admit that doing the research on the internet instead of in university libraries is a massive weak point. Alas, I don't have a lot of access to the resources I'd love to have. I have been working with Reedstilt to help remedy this on several of the upcoming teams that will be coming out later.

I did do the research and I readily admit that doing the research on the internet instead of in university libraries is a massive weak point.

Absolutely untrue. Many credible sources in print can be found online; having a university subscription would help in finding them, however.

I like Viregel's idea of having faith (or other yields) on unimproved sea resources. Rather than having workboats straight-up removed for the Blackfoot, you could have an incentive not to use them for a spiritually focused game. That way, if you decide to "reform" the Blackfoot somewhere in their fake history, you can decide "screw spirituality" and and steal from the water spirits anyway.

Or you could perhaps have one or two unhappiness from fishing boats. That could definitely persuade someone not to steal from water spirits.

That's just my two cents; I'll be happy however you guys decide in the end.

EDIT: or how about "cannot build workboats until the Industrial Era"? They leave the water spirits alone in the early game, but late game they can have some sort of reformation and start getting oil from the sea.

I think that the Counting Coup ability as Barracks isn't a terrible idea. The Zulu do it just fine.

The ability is definitely too complex though, and could probably be simplified. The level requirement is probably unnecessary, and you could simplify the process to something easier to understand (right now it feels like you're jumping through a lot of hoops to get a promotion).

Absolutely untrue. Many credible sources in print can be found online; having a university subscription would help in finding them, however.

I agree; I did the Cree pedia. I attempted to find stuff using my university library access - one of the biggest university libraries in America - and I couldn't really find any good sources.

I think regarding the Blackfoot, and the First Nations in general, there are a lot of commonalities between different groups. We can use these commonalities to make Civs, even if it's an aspect that isn't exclusive to the specific polity being designed. While I don't think representing something via a penalty is necessarily good design (I don't really believe in UA penalties) the counting coup redefines veterancy with the Blackfoot. That's really cool. I loved how JFD's Prussia encourages preserving your units as well, and this does something similar but in a different way.

EDIT Did I really write it as counting crop?

Yeah, the more I mull over the "No Work Boats" thing, the more I feel embarrassed about it. I also believe that UA penalties is a bad thing, but yet I have one. :p

I think that the Counting Coup ability as Barracks isn't a terrible idea. The Zulu do it just fine.

The ability is definitely too complex though, and could probably be simplified. The level requirement is probably unnecessary, and you could simplify the process to something easier to understand (right now it feels like you're jumping through a lot of hoops to get a promotion).

Eh, not really - all you have to do is damage an adjacent enemy until they are low on health. If someone could simplify that into a UA text - it'd be great.

The level requirement is there so you can't just go around counting coup on barbs and get some grand early game units.

Eh, not really - all you have to do is damage an adjacent enemy until they are low on health. If someone could simplify that into a UA text - it'd be great.

The level requirement is there so you can't just go around counting coup on barbs and get some grand early game units.
Enemy units are dealt a certain amount of attrition damage when adjacent to friendly units. May not build Work Boats.

"Each time one of your units damages an enemy Unit severely, your unit gains a unique bonus that benefits itself or the empire."

I guess it leaves out the level requirement, but still...

One of the things you've got to bear in mind with the UA is that you can't trigger things on combat -- otherwise I would.

Specifically, the level requirement is there so that you can't just park an archer next to a barb camp and use it to generate a permanent golden age by turn 20.

Trust me, I've done this.

Another example of the difficulty building first nations civs is colors: Every First Nation civ holds the colors red, yellow, black, and white as the sacred colors of the Spirit Wheel.

Oh, and every civ seems to either use the Spirit Wheel or the Thunderbird as a symbol.

No, it doesn't. It's sad, because it should, but I don't have a decent way of testing to make sure it was the enemy that moved and not you (and/or that you didn't just peg it from range.)

No, it doesn't. It's sad, because it should, but I don't have a decent way of testing to make sure it was the enemy that moved and not you (and/or that you didn't just peg it from range.)

A possible work around is that you could give the counting coup promotion to only melee units. Then you wouldn't need to check for distance. I know it's not ideal because archers could count coup as well, but I don't think archers will be getting very many coup promotions under your current system anyways, considering they need to walk into melee range and live an attack with high hp.

Top Bottom