Colonies PBEM

Originally posted by Patient English
The English have moved.

The Buffalo colonists are still looking for a home. Henrik, how shall we swap maps?

We wonder when Plymouth and Exeter will be ready for English re-occupation. It can't take long to rehome units just across the Channel!

Dare I sugest an online switch of maps? (that way we wont have to sign a "peace" first)
Plymouth and Exeter takes a while, there are soo many units and so few transport ships :(

OK, Mr H. Let's do the online swap of maps on the French move. Call me Saturday on AIM (I should be online in the afternoon) or wait until Sunday afternoon when we are due to continue BMB anyway.

We can do the tech swap at the same time.

Gosh, you must have lots of units in England! Good job we are now at peace...

;)

John

John, if you are going to be around Sat afternoon (say 4 your time, we can do the Buffalo thing as well)

Dutch artillery and Grenideirs engage the prirate forces of one Edward Teach, And defeat him heavily. ;)

Port Anglois is ready to be ceded to the spanish (but I recomend waiting untill next turn, when it will be size 2).

Sure lets exchange maps tomorow John :goodjob:

Henri

I have off tomorrow, so let's try for, say, 9 your time, which is 3 in the afternnon by me.

Chris, that sounds fine. Only thing is, if you're going to take Buffalo, I have a colonist and a ship on the Great Lakes homed to that city. I tried to settle them last turn, but the French wouldn't let me.

As the colonist can't land AND settle in the same move, I don't know how we can sort that. If I cede you Buffalo, will you get the units homed to it? If so, you could then give them straight back to me, I guess.

Anyway, let's try that, and if it doesn't work, abort the move and try the move after that. OK?

John

The units will be turned over with Buffalo, but I can gift them right back, your nearest city will accept them.

Be on AOL around the specifid time, since it's still your turn, you must contact Holland. ;)

The English and Dutch have negotiated successfully. Only Buffalo remains, as it's colonist and ship are still on the Lakes looking for a home. (You were right, Henrik).

A Bostonian Grenadier regiment has been contracted into Dutch service.

Rupert House is ready for French occupation. Fort Abercrombie would be, but it hosts a merchantman. Henrik, when we do our online swaps on your next move, if you gift me a merchant ship, I will gift you Abercrombie and the ship in it.

Anyway, contact me before you play your turn.

File posted here.

Massive aid to the other powers has been undertaken, to address several imbalences.

With England, some technolgy exchanged, and England sends troops to serve as mercenaries under the dutch flag.
Buffalo will return to the Dutch flag next year.

With Spain, in exchange for mass technological skills, to help right their faltering economy, the Spainish have agreed to to turn over a complete army, including 2 divisions of musketeers and 2 squadrons of Dragoons.

France has agreed to sending 3 diviosions of Grenidiers, and we will send them three groups of slaves.

We are pleased that peace reigns.

Lord Van Kris Endhoven

Foriegn minister for the Staadholdr and people of the United Provinces

Henrik,

Remember to call me before you play your move. Best to email me when you are ready.

Chris,

"Divisions" of Grenadiers and Musketeers, but only "Squadrons" of Dragoons? I hope you got a couple of Brigades of cavalry at the very least! Seriously, what shall we call the standard military unit? Company/Squadron, Regiment, or Division/Brigade? It's not crucial, but would add to the flavour....

:)

I vote for Regiment.

John

I was actually wondering about that myself a while ago when writing a post earlier...

And what if I decide that a french regiment consists of two units! (I can actually do that with all my grenadiers ;) :p )

Well, historically, French regiments were bigger. 2000-3000 men. English Regiments were usually only one 600-800 man battalion (on overseas service, anyway). Divisions didn't really happen until the Napoleonic wars (well, revolutionary wars, perhaps).

So 2 units per French regiment sounds cool. So, how many Grenadier Regiments does the victorious French army boast now?

Well, if I thought out unit sizes, I would say that Grenidiers should be companies, and Dragoons troops, so it would be ten companies per regiment of foot, and six troops of Horse for dragoons, using a British model of 1775.

Regiments in this period would be about 400 effectives in foot formations, and 250 in horse formations, so this gives an acurate number of troops engaged in colonial wars abroad.

So each Grenidier represents 40 men, each troop about 41 men.

These totals would not include commisariat, camp followers, or officers.

At least that is the way i see it. ;)

John, your regimental sizes are FAR to large for this period, as I stated, regiments in the American Revolution were approximatly 400, nowhere near 3,000-4,000 range, that is for a later era!

Originally posted by Alcibiaties of Athenae
... British model of 1775...

... playing in 1715, i assumed a regiment as composed of three battallions, each one composed of five companies of 140 soldiers ( Eugene of Savoy model, 1711 ). ;)

Prometeus's (1715) figures give 2100 men per regiment. Chris' (1775-1776) figures give 400.

I think the reason for the difference (apart from the dates) is that we are comparing colonial with European forces. I'm not sure how many units you have in America, Chris, but say the French have 30 infantry regiments in France and 20 in America, that gives them an infantry establishment in total of 50 regiments (say 100,000 men). This is on the high side for a standing army (France maybe had this when at war, but her peacetime establishment was nearer 35,000 around this time - War of Spanish Succession) but she certainly had more than 2000 men (50 x 40).

My scenario does not model the peacetime/wartime establishment differences very well (because Civ doesn't), and we tend to weight our forces more heavily in the colonies than was the case in reality. This is partly because there are no significant maintenance or attrition costs in Civ that vary with location. It is partly because I designed the scenario to be all about Colonies. (Which is maybe why I was so horrified when France invaded England!)

In any event, European regiment or Colonial company, each unit is CERTAINLY not a division. Which was my original point. (I don't think Divisions had really been invented before the late 18th century).

All interesting stuff, anyway. Thanks for the contributions...;)

Originally posted by Patient English
Prometeus's (1715) figures give 2100 men per regiment. Chris' (1775-1776) figures give 400.

I think the reason for the difference (apart from the dates) is that we are comparing colonial with European forces.

In any event, European regiment or Colonial company, each unit is CERTAINLY not a division

All interesting stuff, anyway. Thanks for the contributions...;)

a) :confused: Perhaps you're right... Monsieur D'Iberville canadian guerrillas groups enlisted such a number of men around 1690-1700.

b) A division = five regiments = fifteen battalions = seventyfive companies ( Aubsburg Hofstatsgrienze, 1711 ). But often a consistant part of them was employed as "second line" against backward attacks. And even more often, tactical use of that units was limited to battalion level. See French or Saboy grenadiers, empolyed at battalion level in many great battles... :)

c) Thanks... :D

Attachments

• savoia.gif
    savoia.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom