Colonies PBEM

John, I am viewing this from the colonial side, as this is a "colonies" game. ;)

Viewing a regiment of 3,000 in colonial america is an absurdity.

The British Army of the Americas never fielded more then 10,000 effectives ever, even at the hieght of the war, and their American adversaries, including Militia, never got passed a similar number.

Autorized numbers of 100,000 have been given for the American colonies, but they couldn't feed clothe, or pay the troops they had, let alone such a large force.

I think my idea of companies is the best compromise.

If they are regiments, then Holland would have 50+ at this time, and using your 3,000 man regiments, that means a field army of 150,000! :eek:

Obviously, this is not right.

As companies, my force becomes 2,000 men, an acurate number for Colonial combat, not european fighting, where armies are much larger.

By games end, we should all be fielding about 300+ military units, or about 12,000 men, the correct numbers for the American revolution.

France and England has settled the tech part of the agreement, Exeter and Maison de Rupert has also been redistributed between the two nations.

The reformation is rumoured to have reached Spain, marking the end of the inquisition.

Holland has 50+ units!! :eek:

No wonder your production is tied up in unit support....It also explains why you guys have such strong armies - you must have been building nothing but units (plus the occasional Wonder) since the start. Maybe that's the way to do it in MP? Certainly the recent war might suggest so.

I am going to have to look at the rules for Colonies, btw. I don't want Continental invasions to play a big part before the last third of the scenario, when siege artillery is available. Maybe I should give ALL cities the "Old City Walls" unit, and make it much stronger. What do you all think?

I'm not sure where your 3000 regimental strength figure comes from (2000 is the one we have been discussing) but your comments only confirm that you are thinking of colonial forces, and I am thinking of colonial+European forces. Anyway, it's not worth falling out over!

As an example of colonial battles, though, the following quote is from the Fort Ticonderoga site:

A half mile down the road lie "the French Lines," earthworks thrown up by desperate French troops in July 1758, where a French force of 3,000 men held off a British attack by 15,000 soldiers in the Battle of Carillon.

So 18,000 engaged in that single battle, in 1758 I think, which is just before your beloved Revolutionary period. ;)

Edit: obviously 1758 - says so in the quote. D'oh! :crazyeyes

For the English, a Regiment and a Battalion were constructively the same, on overseas service, and a battalion could be anything between 1000 men (Guards or Highland) and 250 (a regular battalion, depleted by disease and casualties). I shall continue to call my units Battalions/Regiments and you may do as you please. I think we all know what we mean in game terms, anyway.

Port Anglois has been finally occupied by Spanish troops, Monsieur d'Ai seemed to be aware of the agrement and immediately signed peace ;)

On the other hand one of the soldiers in the contingent, while dusting off the city sign, realized the name of the city is Port Anglais. :cool:

Fort Ticonderoga has now been abandoned and is ready for French occupation.

New Providence and Buffalo will soon be ready for occupation also, by the end on 1719.

Some fine English horses - bred in the colonies, have been sold to the burghers of Bruges.

Cotton goods, finished in the Midlands, have been exported to Trinidad.

The English economy is getting back on track.

The Sioux nation have been contacted - and demanded that we go to war with our Dutch friends. We naturally refused, so now we are at war with the savages.

All is quiet in Holland.

Turn played...

No French colonies/cities may be occupied quite yet. (I'll need one more turn for both Haiti and England).

Henri

Still not much going on, except a little cigar making. ;)

Monsieur d'Aix en Port-de-Paix rejected to embark all the refugees to Tortuga. Same attitude was shown by Lord Artintson in Florida where the famlands in 43ºW 69ºN are so neccesary for the Spanish colonists.

Turin Gazette, abstract number 1:

"... under Count Goddi's pressure, HRH of Savoy authorized yesterday to create a marines regiment. The new units was bapthized as "Nice Royale". No pics were available for their uniforms at the moment."

Turin Gazette, abstract number 2:

"Algerian pirates sacked Oneglia last week. Let's hope our wisemen this time decide to develope Carthography, so we'll be able to track and destroy them with new and better ships. "

Turin Gazette, abstract number 3:

"From Cuneo's and Asti's foundry, the first set of new artilleries is now ready to be tested. Factory owners have received free permission to export this models in the whole world. Does this means the born of a weapons' industrial production? "

That's all. Keep on civin' , happy people! Me still sick - ouch!!! my left arm hurts a lot... ;)

PS Henrik, i need your help to define WAS tech tree... Plz post me your Colonies tech list at this you have at this moment; i need it to calibrate AI techs. :love:

Attachments

• artille.png
    artille.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 111
Fort Abercrombie is clear for French occupation. Buffalo is clear for the Dutch.

The harsh attitude of the Spanish to the poor refugees from New Providence camped on their fields is surprising. However, a convoy has been sent from Savannah to pick them up next year.

;)

Plymouth has been reoccupied. This completes English compliance with the peace treaty.

Well, that was a bit of a ****ed-up war, for the English!

:rolleyes:

Can't u post more maps for us who follows your pbem? :D

John, you have to gift Buffalo to me, my Republic will not accept war and taking a city any other way.

BTW, this is turn 60! :D

Top Bottom