Colonization II - Release Date and other Stuff

Civlord

King
Hello, I was just thinking: there are too many suggestions on what to improve or add in Colonization II, but here goes my question: does Firaxis really care about making it? I mean, is it going to release Colonization II or is it ignoring the whole thing? We are waiting for years for a decent reply, but no sign of Col II ahead. It seems that Colonization II will be only a lost hope :( .

there is bound to be a colonisation II eventually. lets face it - there is a lot of money to be made out of sid's name alone. Add to that the fact that its much easier to release a sequel to a game with a good fanbase already there than it is to create something new.

camelman said:
there is bound to be a colonisation II eventually. lets face it - there is a lot of money to be made out of sid's name alone. Add to that the fact that its much easier to release a sequel to a game with a good fanbase already there than it is to create something new.

Well, possibly. I guess it comes down to Sid... just how long does he have free until he starts getting committed to Civ 5?

I think on this one however, they missed their window slightly. Just take a look at Age of Empires III... they literally took AOE and meshed it with Colonization. A brilliant move...

Great_Scott said:
Well, possibly. I guess it comes down to Sid... just how long does he have free until he starts getting committed to Civ 5?

I think on this one however, they missed their window slightly. Just take a look at Age of Empires III... they literally took AOE and meshed it with Colonization. A brilliant move...

From what I recall, Colonization and AC were more Reynolds' work though... and his first game after Firaxis came out like a Civ 3/AOE hybrid. D'you suppose he can be talked back into making TBS?

chanman said:
From what I recall, Colonization and AC were more Reynolds' work though... and his first game after Firaxis came out like a Civ 3/AOE hybrid. D'you suppose he can be talked back into making TBS?

Nope.

Since Sid was not the man behind the game, we'll probably never see a sequel.

Does anyone know if Firaxis even has the rights to make it or if they are still with Atari (or Hasbro)?

Hello, I was just thinking: there are too many suggestions on what to improve or add in Colonization II, but here goes my question: does Firaxis really care about making it? I mean, is it going to release Colonization II or is it ignoring the whole thing? We are waiting for years for a decent reply, but no sign of Col II ahead. It seems that Colonization II will be only a lost hope :( .

There was this poll on Firaxis' site some time ago about what game people would like to see next. I think Colonization 2 scored fairly high on that one, so they might at least be considering it. I really hope they do; I've been playing Colonization again lately and its a really good game in pretty much every respect.

Does anyone know if Firaxis even has the rights to make it or if they are still with Atari (or Hasbro)?
I recall reading on their website a while back they had got rights to that, Pirates and some other old Sid titles (mainly the flight sims) from somewhere. I can't find that section now though... it was in a "FAQ" section or something like that.

This looks like it, from 2003.

'Atari has transferred to Firaxis the rights to several classic properties, including SID MEIER'S COLONIZATION, COVERT ACTION, GUNSHIP, SILENT SERVICE: THE SUBMARINE SIMULATION, F19 STEALTH FIGHTER, F15 STRIKE EAGLE and SID MEIER'S CPU BACH. Firaxis Games will continue to partner with Atari to publish certain of these key properties.'

Top Bottom