Combat system

Danielos

Emperor
With Civ 5 moving to improve the archaic combat system of the franchise, I think it would be a good move to also consider other important combat factors:

* Morale/organization (dependent on battle record, supply, amount of fighting and so on)

* Leadership (include generals and field marshals)

* Supply (units should need food, supplies, ammo and sometimes oil to operate)

* Military doctrines (for example blitzkrieg, trech warfare)

* Military tactics (for example flanking, envelopment)

Sure, Civ is a grand strategic game, but even a grand strategic game like HoI considers these factors. It seems really silly that you can transport units to a deserted island, and they never starve or run out of ammo.

Please improve...

morale and organization i wouldnt understand how that works. leadership is definitely needed as generals are necessary. we DEFINITELY need supply. i dont understand the doctrine suggestion and tactics are nice too

HoI is all about warfare. CiV is an empire-building game. Still, some added complications should be made in order to curtail warmongering; in Civ 4, it is still overwhelmingly the best strategy. One thing would be to allow players to build multiple buildings in cities, each one more expensive than the last. Still, the enemy would just capture your city with 5 libraries, with the 5 Knights or Tanks that he made. Anything to make that harder would be nice; I'd vote for supply rules if I had to choose from your list. Even better, ofc, would be one unit/tile. ;)

Maintenance costs should
1. Be greater outside of home territory
2. Be Much greater if the unit is repairing (essentially costing almost as much as it would just to buy a new unit... more if the unit is also outide of the home territory)
3. Be more for more expensive units

The economic side is where the changes should be made.

Civ combat is already too tactical, it needs to be simplified and made more strategic.

Top Bottom