Common Civ2 Terms: What do they all mean?

ICS = Infinite City Sprawl ?

That's a new one to me, though I seem to recall it being written that way somewhere, too. I was not dogging ICS, but if ya'll have seen it that way, I'll add it in the next revision! :)

ICS means packing small cities together, and in the extreme case, every other tile is a city. If you keep the cities at size 2 and have Hanging Gardens, you can keep the cities happier without defenders (in Monarchy), for instance. ICS takes certain advantages of things in Civ 2 that were not originally planned, as can be inferred from many places, even the Civ 3 reference mentioned.

Anyway, feel free to suggest any newer wording, and/or any links that might help people. I'll add it in the upcoming revision.

:goodjob:

ICS can mean Infinite city sleaze, sprawl, or strategy, I guess it depends on what you think about the strategy ;).

The best way to understand it is to read DaveV's descripiton of it. Much like some have improved on the Paulicy, there may be some minor strategy improvements over this description which is a couple years old, but it really does a good job describing the rationale and techniques for ICS.

I just followed that link! Very detailed! Thanks, I'll add it to the ICS definition when I update this thread this weekend!

:goodjob:

been AWOL for a while but today was the first time moof has seen ICS refered to as anything other than Sprawl.

This is the first time we have ever seen it described as a pattern of cities so dense as to form a checker board pattern as well.

We always thought it to be a way to amass a huge score therefore maybe there needs to be some distinction between going for the checkerboard pattern for early advantage & the more spread out pattern that allows for maximum number of citizens & the Higher score.

Is it possible that there are two ICS's ?

One, IC Sprawl meaning a way to attain a very high score

& the other IC Sleaze meaning an early way to try to gain advantage from a very dense low population city mass.

been AWOL for a while but today was the first time moof has seen ICS refered to as anything other than Sprawl.
ICS has three "common" acronyms. The most proper is probably "Infinite City Strategy." I'm using it in GOTM 68 for expansion this month (Sep 2006 GOTM, Ringworld).

I will read through and fix anything I spot awry. Nice to see the thread still exists after being away for 4 years! :D

ICS = Sleaze, Strategy, or Sprawl save Dave who wrote first ICS posts. Takie your pickie. All be good.

Code:
Moof what is moof? Civdood wonders. :cool:

Hey this is such a good thread to get thinking about this game, I am learning how to print it out, and maybe play Civ 2 again. It has been so long, and my my how it has come far in thinking and strategy from the old old days when we used to play in 1996-99.

This must be made into a guide or manual, and I nominate one of you to do it. Thanks from an continental player of this wellspring of a game!

Possible additions (sorry if some are already present):

AT = Advanced tribe
Canal (or canal city)
crooks and clads (crusaders and ironclads - AFAIK)
DoM = Duke of Marlbrough
EC = Early Conquest
EL = Early Landing
ELG = solo's "Early Landing Guide"
HOF = Hall of Fame
LH = Lighthouse
Mike's = Michaelangelo's
Soft Fundy (Fundy thru SoL, without the tech)
STC = Super Trade City (more common than SGC)
s/t = shields per turn
WoW or W = Wonders

Maybe we should avoid "ST", which has been used for "Sun Tzu", "SlowThinker", "Shakespeare's Theater" and "Super Trade".

ST, used in conjunction with a C as in STC, makes more sense to me than SSC, but the latter is the historic term. The point is to maximize the Trade of the city, which you can then redirect to Science or Gold as needed. Putting all available multiplying improvements and wonders in the city allows you to redirect the trade arrows more effectively.

This thread currently includes SGC (Super Gold City), which isn't used much AFAIK - I guess people have switched to "STC" over the years. We use "SSC" and "STC" for slightly different things, so it seems reasonable to keep both. BTW - I just stumbled onto a related thread in a Civ4 forum, which even includes acronyms like "BTW" and "AFAIK" etc:

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/reference/acronyms.php

Took me the longest time to figure out what ROTFL meant... :rotfl:

And I've seen several interpretations of FUBAR...

does anyone have the right link to the OCC rules? the one on the first post in this thread isn't working.

I'm working on reposting that thread. Paul's site is down and he is not answering email. I'm going to assume permission to repost and put it up here.

Top Bottom