Comparing V vs VI

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Civ VI map generator has zero evaluation for viable district and wonder locations, when it evaluates starting locations. Which is probably why we see numerous examples of starts that are completely surrounded by mountains. Now you are correct that Civ V did not have to take such things into account, but afaik. Civ VI doesn't either, even if you can argue it should.

Meanwhile, Civ VI map generator throws some weird fits like civs starting literally right next to each other, or civs starting completely in polar ice, not to mention those mountain-caves mentioned above.
No, but this is my point. In VI, it is harder to generate a good start in the first place because the map matter more. Civ V’s cities on VI’s maps wouldn’t feel that different from a city growth standpoint. It only feels like VI is worse because the map matters. But for the reasons I stated above, I think VI is actually better. V also had wonky start locations too. I know for sure I occasionally started near other civs or in unusable terrain back in V.

One more thing that’s different though, for better or worse: VI actually has slightly different maps sizes than V. Larger maps were larger in V and smaller maps were smaller. Depending on what map size you play, that can also make things feel different.

Something I really miss from V was the more reverential tone of the game towards human history. The idealized leader designs, the sobering music score, the "realistic" art style. It might be more "boring" than the lively, caricaturish atmosphere of VI, but it felt important somehow, like it was more than just a game.

I don't think Civ 5 policy tree is superior to the policy card system we have in Civ6. I've played 2000 hours in Civ 5, pretty much every single game everyone has to open with Tradition, because Tradition is superior to Liberty, Honor and Piety are pretty much not viable, then fill out Tradition, take a few filler policies here and there, and then one renaissance comes, just pick up rationalism, literally every single game. I like the ideology and tourism system though, tourism in civ6 is kinda useless outside of a cultural game.
I, like many posters here, miss some of the ideology pressure.
I think there is something to be said about the role of social policies- because they unlock and accumulate over time they are almost a “rpg” element for your Civ and feel like progress through the course of the eras.
I think in terms of government civ6 is much better (even if I do find some of the card balance questionable.)
The RPG aspect would fit very well in the Era Score system, perhaps as something you pick at the end of an era as a bonus for your Civ. (Whereas dedications are at the start.)

Something I really miss from V was the more reverential tone of the game towards human history. The idealized leader designs, the sobering music score, the "realistic" art style. It might be more "boring" than the lively, caricaturish atmosphere of VI, but it felt important somehow, like it was more than just a game.
I do miss the old graphics on some level, but the quotes felt more serious in 4/5, which I miss.
That said, the civ6 graphical style is almost necessary to make districts easy to identify at a glance by being color coded. That wouldn’t really be possible in civ5’s style, at least it wouldn’t be as friendly to learning the game.

I really prefer VI on most aspects. However, there is something, where Civ V excels. In Civ 6, the scale of the map is very tiny, and it doesn't really feel, like you would lead a huge country on a global scale, even on largest maps. In civ V everything was smaller scale, so it felt much more grand. This would be of course fixed, if the Giant maps in Civ 6 would work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Civ VI map generator has zero evaluation for viable district and wonder locations, when it evaluates starting locations. Which is probably why we see numerous examples of starts that are completely surrounded by mountains. Now you are correct that Civ V did not have to take such things into account, but afaik. Civ VI doesn't either, even if you can argue it should.

Meanwhile, Civ VI map generator throws some weird fits like civs starting literally right next to each other, or civs starting completely in polar ice, not to mention those mountain-caves mentioned above.

I agree the start location generator could use some work. i.e. it annoys me to no end that the AI doesn't make good use of natural wonders when settling; but even worse is that quite a few of them are never an option for a good settlement for anyone as CS's spawn right next to them.

IMHO, Civilization 5 was easily the worst iteration of the series. Therefore, there isn't much I miss.

As noted by others, the music was pretty good. Gifting units to City States is something that Civ VI could use. Morocco was pretty cool and I liked their desert focus.

Civ VI just feels and plays smoother for me. I like the district system, the corps and armies to make 1UPT bearable, a much more interesting government system, tech/civic tree, etc.

There is definitely no going back. Civ VI feels a lot closer to cIV, which is the best game of the series. Still room for improvement, of course, and they are working on it. :)

I don't think Civ 5 policy tree is superior to the policy card system we have in Civ6. I've played 2000 hours in Civ 5, pretty much every single game everyone has to open with Tradition, because Tradition is superior to Liberty, Honor and Piety are pretty much not viable, then fill out Tradition, take a few filler policies here and there, and then one renaissance comes, just pick up rationalism, literally every single game. I like the ideology and tourism system though, tourism in civ6 is kinda useless outside of a cultural game.

I disagree, Tradition is really good but Liberty is more than viable, especially for Domination.

Civ VI just feels and plays smoother for me. I like the district system, the corps and armies to make 1UPT bearable, a much more interesting government system, tech/civic tree, etc.
They introduced a few things into civ5 that were pretty major, like 1upt, ranged combat, cities having defense, etc. They need some time to really make it shine. Even in civBE (a very unfortunate game that would have been 100% better with 25% more effort) they started poking around at what these new systems could really do.
I wish they'd revisit a few of them, especially the idea of "expensive" improvements that sit between a normal improvement and what we now have as districts - things like their manufactory, academy, terrascape etc. (Improvements with upkeep and other effects - lot of potential!)

So hopefully, in civ7 they will be able to make another leap and have some really elegant evolutions of things like districts, the civics tree, era system, etc.

They introduced a few things into civ5 that were pretty major, like 1upt, ranged combat, cities having defense, etc. They need some time to really make it shine. Even in civBE (a very unfortunate game that would have been 100% better with 25% more effort) they started poking around at what these new systems could really do.
I wish they'd revisit a few of them, especially the idea of "expensive" improvements that sit between a normal improvement and what we now have as districts - things like their manufactory, academy, terrascape etc. (Improvements with upkeep and other effects - lot of potential!)

So hopefully, in civ7 they will be able to make another leap and have some really elegant evolutions of things like districts, the civics tree, era system, etc.

Since the series works on the 1/3 keep, 1/3 refine and 1/3 discard there are inevitably some elements that are carried over, that’s true.

I quite like Civ VI but realize that it isn’t perfect. Still got at least another year to improve it, though.

Civ VII will have it’s hands full to top Civ VI, IMHO. Still, I have faith that it will.

Oh and Civ Beyon dEarth was a disaster. I’d like to see them revisit it with Civ VI, though, and redeem it. :)

Stealing my own post from a similar older thread....

The only civs I've played a ton are 5 and 6, so I'm mostly just comparing 6 to 5 here. Also not limiting myself to three things.

Where I prefer Civ 6:

1. Districts. I love the system and how it makes geography a bigger factor in the game.
2. Loyalty. In civ 5, annoying AI forward settles force me into war... in 6 it'll take care of itself.
3. General variability in games. I feel that, via eurekas, inspirations, the golden/dark age system, unique city states, the split tech/civic trees, and a lot of other things, games feel more dynamic in 6 compared to 5, where I generally basically do the same thing each game if it's the same victory type.
4. I like that there are very few civs that are dedicated purely to combat/domination. In Civ 5 it seems like half the choices are just fight, fight, fight with almost no other substantial uniques. Not so in 6, only the Zulu, Ottomans, and Mongols IIRC. This goes for modded civs too... while civ 5 is, as I understand, much easier to make mods for, way too many modded civs in 5 are like 90% (or more) dedicated entirely to combat
5. The amenities system. I definitely like it more than Civ 5's happiness system, which I found to be too punishing.
6. The appeal system. It doesn't have a huge effect on the game, but I like the concept. National parks are satisfying to place. I'd like to use more neighborhoods too, but those partisans make me never use neighborhoods at all.
7. I like spies in 6 a lot more than 5, except, of course, the partisans. In 5 they were pretty dull but you have a lot more options for what to do in 6, and it's not TOO much micromanagement.

Where I prefer 5 to 6, or simply don't like something in 6...
1. Civic cards. I like that we have more options, but I hate having to micromanage these all game. I really preferred Civ 5's policy system.
2. Production balance. Everything simply takes TOO LONG to build.
3. Limited use builders. I realize unlimited builders would be broken in this game, but I hate leaving tiles unimproved and I feel like I spend half the game making builders; this is partially a consequence of number two.
4. Recruit partisans spy mission. Get rid of this ASAP, please...
5. The phone style graphics. Civ 5 looked way better.
6. World congress and diplo victory. I love that they added these, but diplo victory is far too hard to get. Every time I try, I end up winning science or tourism first. Also, a lot of the world congress proposals are too insignificant, especially that one "X player makes more grievances but they decay slower" or whatever it is.
7. Snowballing. This happens in 5 too, but I think a bit less. In both games, I often get to the point where I think "I've clearly won, but I still need to go through turns for another 4 hours before I actually finish", but it seems this happens much earlier in the game in Civ 6 comparaed to in Civ 5. Partially this may be becuase I almost always go for passive victories (science, culture, diplo in 5) over active ones (I really hate doing domination/religious victory, it's so tedious)
8. This is a really tiny thing, but I like that farms next to fresh water in civ 5 get more food (with certain techs). They don't do that in civ 6. Again, a small thing, but it always annoyed me how fresh water basically means nothing except to city housing.
9. Chopping. I like to build up my infrastructure and land, not destroy it. Yes, you could chop in Civ 5, but the meta in 6 is definitely balanced to chopping and harvesting everything asap, and I hate doing that. I'll do it if I'm rushing a wonder or putting a district there but apart from that I usually never chop or harvest resources.
10. and this is the biggest one... the civ 6 balance/meta seems to be heavily leaning towards spamming out cities (no matter how crappy they are) and killing and conquering as much as possible. I want to build! I'd rather play tall than wide, but that's very hard to justify in 6.

Oh and Civ Beyon dEarth was a disaster. I’d like to see them revisit it with Civ VI, though, and redeem it. :)
A game with great ideas, some flawed execution, and no soul.
Civ6 mechanics would mesh with it amazingly, especially districts, and the disaster system.
Just thinking about a civics web...

What it needed was a second expansion (“falling skies”) to expand on the orbital layer and tune up some things.
But they goofed with the factions. Never telling anyone anything for fear of constraining the narrative was a bad choice- we should have had a clearer view of the past with the free form being where to take it. No way to fix that.

For a game that I put about 110 hours into (which would be a LOT if it wasn't a civ game), I remember remarkably little about Civ beyond earth's game mechanics. I do remember thinking the idea that you could befriend the barbarians (aliens) was really cool, but I don't think it was ever actually very useful

I liked Civ5's tech quotes (though William Morgan Sheppard was a bit of a dreary narrator--though I'm not sure I'd say Sean Bean is better, even if he is more lively). I think Civ5's Culture Victory was much, much better than Civ6's, and I think Civ5's religion system was slightly improved. On the whole, though, Civ6 is the superior game. Civ5's art style was ugly, even when it was released, and while the leader scenes were impressive I'm not sure I can say I preferred them to Civ6's more vivacious leaders (though Civ6 could have done better with the backgrounds and still kept the focus on the leader).

Very much this. The complete lack of any kind of flavor or character to the setting, the leaders, and the factions made it impossible to feel invested in.

Where VI does better in:
- Map generation
- Wonders more visible
- Districts
- Builders system
- Religion
- Graphics
- Leaders and civs
- Music
- Envoy system
- Diplomatic victory
- Great People system
- Natural wonders
- Disasters
- Loyalty system
- Happiness
- UI

Where V does better in:
- Ideologies
- Policy trees
- Tall gameplay
- Large cities

Needless to say, i think VI is the better game, despite it's flaws.

I think it’s really a mixed bag for me. Personally, I prefer the graphics of Civ VI.

Civ VI
Graphics
Loyalty
Traders making roads
Religion
Much more unique and impactful Civ design

Civ V
Mod ability
World Congress
Social Policies (I didn’t particularly like these but I find the “cards” annoying. I use a mod to make them selectable and not “cards”)
Something generally feels more immersive to me in V where as VI feels like much more of a game.

I don’t know that I’d consider one better than the other but I will say that in terms of game design... I much prefer a game to feel immersive than for it to feel like a digital board game (that VI often feels like. I get tired of min-maxing also but sadly the AI is such a let down if I opt for a lower difficulty without min-maxing I still trample over them).

Where VI does better in:
- Map generation
- Wonders more visible
- Districts
- Builders system
- Religion
- Graphics
- Leaders and civs
- Music
- Envoy system
- Diplomatic victory
- Great People system
- Natural wonders
- Disasters
- Loyalty system
- Happiness
- UI

Where V does better in:
- Ideologies
- Policy trees
- Tall gameplay
- Large cities

Needless to say, i think VI is the better game, despite it's flaws.

I think you can cross out "Tall" in the Civ V list, so it just reads "Civ V does better in gameplay".

I'm very surprised you list Civ VI as having a superior UI - the UI has been a much-criticised bugbear from day 1 and hasn't undergone any substantial changes. It's pretty but less intuitive than the older system - and doesn't it still hide sentry mode - you know, one of the key unit commands - away in a dropdown somewhere?

Music is excellent in Civ VI, but also in Civ V - I've gone back and forth between them and certainly wouldn't say one is better than the other overall. Civ VI has more variety both in music within a civ and in the sheer number of civs it supports and the diversity of musical cultures those represent. I do prefer Civ VI's era-linked changes in arrangement to the (not always particularly different) war/peace divide in Civ V's music, though.

I have never liked the envoy system - I'm in the minority who preferred Civ V's more dynamic approach to city states. True, they never fixed the gold-buying quests completely when they should simply have been removed altogether, but while the implementation was imperfect I preferred the basic Civ V system to a static 'levelling-up' exercise. The latter also seems to be harder for the AI to use, or at least target, appropriately, so you don't get the tug-of-war over key city states that you would in the earlier game. I do like the city state-specific bonuses, though, particularly the unique improvements.

Religion, I don't agree is handled better in Civ VI. The entire religious combat/victory feature is something I'd rather the game was without, and religion is overall much too disconnected from every other game system. They've tried to address that by making a bunch of extra non-religious units dependent on buying with faith, but they could have buildings that produce a faith resource without having any other religious features. They basically just imported the Civ V options wholesale but didn't really do anything with them, while at the same time much of the rest of the game - especially the fact that religious buildings require a specific district that is usually a low priority and has adjacency bonuses you'd rather use for campuses - tends to incentivise nonreligious gameplay, or at least building religious infrastructure too late to get a religion.

I'll grant that Civ VI gets an edge in terms of how it implements all the things that aren't in Civ V - that's hardly a recommendation, any more than it's a recommendation for Civ V that it handles Courthouses better than Civ VI. It's also got better map graphics but, gah, the leader screens! Even after becoming acclimatised to them, and no longer particularly objecting to their cartooniness, I'd take the Civ V ones any day..

I'm also not sure I'd say Civ VI does Natural Wonders better. Having more variety is nice, but one advantage of Civ V's NWs was that natural tile yields were low so Natural Wonders were relatively more valuable. In Civ VI not only do you have high tile yields, you can naturally get even 'special' yields like science and culture from resources, which you could only get from Natural Wonders in Civ V.

For the Civ V bucket, things it handles better:

- Tourism. This actually feeds into gameplay rather than just being a culture victory counter which isn't used as a game resource (and the culture victory in general was better-handled in BNW than in any version of Civ VI). Similarly, the archaelogy system in Civ V was better not because it was any different mechanically from that in Civ VI, but because archaeology played better in the context of overall gameplay while in Civ VI, like religion, it can be ignored if you aren't playing that part of the game.

- Diplomatic relationships. This will be a contentious one since it's a sore point for many Civ players, but at least until late-game ideologies come along and mess with everything you can put effort into relationships and be rewarded by alliances that result in practical gameplay benefits: allies will join your wars and *actually fight your enemies*, and you get appreciably better deals rather than just a bit less gold demanded for open borders. I enjoyed the way tripartite relationships worked, with denouncing a mutual enemy reinforcing a friendship. The downside was that the system was much less well-documented and easy to grasp for newer or more casual players than Civ VI's, but it was more than just the trade screen diplomacy Civ VI went back to after pushback against the Civ V system.

- AI personalities. Civ V had personalities that varied on a range of different axes, as did Civ IV's. Civ VI's agendas replaced that and, again, seems to have been aimed at making it easier for newer players to quickly appreciate how to make Civ X or Y happy/unhappy. I feel it came at the cost of a lot of character, it results in too much repetitive predictability in AI behaviour, and it did away with a meme in the process (I haven't once seen Gandhi nuke anyone that I can recall). Previously you'd be scared of a nearby AI civ because you knew it was prone to be aggressive or untrustworthy - now all civs have the same tendency towards early aggression and civs are only scary if, like Sumeria, Scythia or Nubia, they have early unique units that are good against cities. No one needs to care about Genghis Khan, not because - as in Civ V - he was aggressive but unshakeably loyal once befriended, but just because he doesn't do anything until the Middle Ages since that's where his units are and his early aggression consequently isn't that dangerous.

- Strategic resources. The 'stockpile' system has barely seemed relevant in Civ VI, while having a static limitation on how many of a unit or key building you could have based on the resources available in the empire made each individual source of a resource more important in Civ V, one of the few cases where the map is more important in Civ V than Civ VI.

- Trade. The trade limit imposed by BNW and the way it scaled with game pacing made for a healthier economic system that limited snowballing - Civ VI is still close to the maligned days of 'ICS' (Infinite City Spam) with its 'rich get richer' play pattern. The BNW system was also balanced by removing gold from the landscape (other than some luxury resources), increasing the importance of trade over sea vs. over land, and adding boosts for roads and markets.

EDIT: Others beat me to mentioning the World Congress (in both implementation of the system and AI behaviour) and the much lower difficulty and weaker AI of Civ VI.

I saw this quoted before the original post, without the context that it was about Beyond Earth, and genuinely "agreed" that it's a perfect description of Civ VI.

I disagree, Tradition is really good but Liberty is more than viable, especially for Domination.

It's fully viable, but bear in mind people are often talking about them in terms of maximising win percentages/turns to win. That you can pretty invariably win more easily with Tradition means there's not much incentive to go wide. To me the biggest issue is that the placement of the trees so early in the game means you have to make a decision which way to go before you've seen much of the map. This makes Tradition a lower-risk strategy, since if you take Liberty and aren't in a good position to take advantage of it early it will be a long time before you start seeing the benefits.

Stealing my own post from a similar older thread....

Where I prefer Civ 6:

1. Districts. I love the system and how it makes geography a bigger factor in the game.

I'm somewhat indifferent to districts (and don't really like the way specialists now work as citizens working district tiles), but I think they could have done more with the concept. There are only a couple of districts that get significant adjacency from geographic features (mostly district bonuses come from adjacency to other districts) and those tend to push exactly the same city placements you wanted to follow in Civ V anyway: find rivers, mountains, jungle and hills.

5. The amenities system. I definitely like it more than Civ 5's happiness system, which I found to be too punishing.

I find that amenities in Civ VI are essentially meaningless, which leads to the opposite problem.

1. Civic cards. I like that we have more options, but I hate having to micromanage these all game. I really preferred Civ 5's policy system.

I like the option to micromanage in Civ VI - as with Civ IV's policy system, I actually find that I don't change them very frequently in practice. I also like the design space it's opened up with a number of civs, that get to replace one policy card type with another or add extra policy cards as part of their rules.

2. Production balance. Everything simply takes TOO LONG to build.

People made that complaint in Civ V as well. In Civ VI I think the issue is that it's harder to specialise cities around a specific resource, so you can't go all-in on having a production city. Because of the district system, you can only have one Industrial District in any city and - barring terrain or mine adjacency bonuses that differ between them, plus natural tile output - any city is broadly as productive as any other with the same district.

3. Limited use builders. I realize unlimited builders would be broken in this game, but I hate leaving tiles unimproved and I feel like I spend half the game making builders; this is partially a consequence of number two.

I think limited use builders are overall an improvement, but 3 charges might not be the correct starting number. Also an issue in Civ VI: chopping, which is too widespread and too exploitable. I'm not sure why most resources and features need to be choppable, rather than just woods/jungles/marshes.

7. Snowballing. This happens in 5 too, but I think a bit less. In both games, I often get to the point where I think "I've clearly won, but I still need to go through turns for another 4 hours before I actually finish", but it seems this happens much earlier in the game in Civ 6 comparaed to in Civ 5. Partially this may be becuase I almost always go for passive victories (science, culture, diplo in 5) over active ones (I really hate doing domination/religious victory, it's so tedious)

Mostly, it's an inevitable consequence of go-wide gameplay.

8. This is a really tiny thing, but I like that farms next to fresh water in civ 5 get more food (with certain techs). They don't do that in civ 6. Again, a small thing, but it always annoyed me how fresh water basically means nothing except to city housing.

I still miss having to have freshwater in order to build farms at all (which was removed in Civ V but part of all earlier incarnations).

10. and this is the biggest one... the civ 6 balance/meta seems to be heavily leaning towards spamming out cities (no matter how crappy they are) and killing and conquering as much as possible. I want to build! I'd rather play tall than wide, but that's very hard to justify in 6.

Here's one thing I'll say for this approach in Civ VI: having become accustomed to playing tall in Civ V, it wasn't until Civ VI went too far in the other direction that I realised *just how boring* going tall is. There isn't a lot to do except shuffle units around as you have so little production space. I wouldn't be surprised if this is much of the reason so many people still strongly dislike Civ V, since it seems from the Tradition obsession that not many people were actually exploring how the game plays with more than four cities.

Having essentially no constraints on expansion was not a good move for Civ VI - there's a reason all prior Civ games had mechanisms to constrain it. In Civ VI it seems production is the only limiting factor. Loyalty does a good job of pacing expansion, but only if you're in a Dark Age or the nearest rivals are in a higher Golden Age while you're in a normal one. I like that idea of pacing expansion by Age, but I get the impression that many people play to get a permanent Golden Age which rather undermines the point of the loyalty system.

Last edited by a moderator:
- Civ VI is still close to the maligned days of 'ICS' (Infinite City Spam) with its 'rich get richer' play pattern.

I still think 6 with the scaling settler/builder costs is really far from what was originally called ICS, and 5 had a few patches of actual ICS... Flashbacks to Maddjinn youtube series with Rome/Mayans where he actually spammed Settlers into the tightest configurations the map would allow. There's perhaps something to be said about how it encourages expansionism quite a bit, but I still prefer that over the days of : I got my 4th city, I'm done.

I also just like the idea of... take resources on map safely ----> Good thing.

Wasn't a fan of Ideologies either... but I don't play late games all that often (it's kinda a slog in both games even after you've snowballed a position), and it felt a little silly. Like arbitrary teams forming up that often didn't match the current situation in the game. The pressure game was interesting, but felt gamey to me, and not particularly interactive.

The things I like about Civ V are the different personality traits of leaders and more realistic-looking leader screens.

Civ VI has grown on me and it hits big points with regards to:
- soundtrack
- district system
- grievances
- loyalty
- user-friendly art style (to distinguish things in the map better)
- the map is more important. And with GS the map itself becomes an enemy because of disasters
- more gameplay varieties (no linear playstyle unlike Civ V)

But it also needs polish in these areas:
- religion (so tedious)
- late game governments (and lack of ideologies)
- moddability (to please our modders and a real chance to improve core game mechanics)
- UI some things still feel clunky

Overall, I feel Civ VI is better than V, and it can still be improved.

Would like to see Kublai Khan be a hybrid leader for the Mongols/China like Eleanor of Aquitaine.

I think he’d be absolutely perfect for the role.

China and Korea would both benefit from a more military focused Alt leader. So, if Khan achieves that, then great. I otherwise can’t see any huge need for Mongolia to get an Alt leader.

I feel like Beyond Earth and other sci-fi style 4Xs would benefit massively from just being more hard sci-fi. That would impose some limits on technology, but also give games a lot more character.

This is an unpopular opinion but I prefer the music in Civ V - the Civ-specific music, at least, with the war and peace themes. I think the era progression is a nice idea but it works much better with some themes than others, and some of the later ones are too bombastic.

I LOVE the music in Civ VI, but I agree. Some songs work better than others, especially in the late era. I do have to question the "Civ-specific" music in Civ V though. Civ V made its music specific per region, so all music for Civs from western Europe was the same, that's hardly Civ-specific.

I hope Civ VII continues the way music was done in Civ VI, but maybe add war and peace versions too.

I've played Civs 3-6, though of course it has been longer since playing the earlier ones so it is harder to remember. The things I remember liking about each:

Civ3:
  • Leaders changing their outfits with the era
  • Units gaining HP with experience
  • Small, discrete health bars
  • Palace was cute to build (not important though, just a little fun)
Civ4:
  • Quote and narration gravitas. None of the other narrators are even close, and the quotes were excellent too
  • Improvements that got better the longer they were worked
  • Gaining control of a Religion by taking control of the Holy City
  • Apostolic Palace creating a UN within a religion, which was a cool dynamic
Civ5:
  • Happiness: a Global empire-limiter which caused me to actually spread strategically (doesn't have to be happiness as a theme, but I liked the system itself)
  • Social Policies: Strategic-level empire-wide bonuses that built upon each other. Really felt like I was making a big choice each time, and it meant Science and Culture were useful for completely different things
  • Ideologies: a change to lategame Diplomacy was a huge deal, and the creation of Blocs felt really important
  • AIs that tried to stop you *because* you were winning. More like playing real people
  • AIs that didn't always tell you what they thought, and were thus harder to game. More like playing real people
  • Intertwined victory conditions, like how Tourism helped you learn about votes, and votes let you gain boosts to spaceship production, and how tech also helped a ton for domination, and how domination made Tourism to the right targets easier.
Civ6: Basically everything that isn't covered in the above is better in Civ6, but to state some of the important ones
  • 1UPT is great. Corps and Armies is a nice way of enabling someone with high production to improve their military without just making the carpet of doom bigger, but stronger instead. Now if only the AI weren't terrible at it...but honestly if I wanted to play a tactical wargame at that level I'd go find another game. Civ does a good job here for what it is
  • Civ-specific music that changes with era, just like the leaders in Civ3? Hell yes, wonderful stuff. Love humming along when a specific opponent is in the game and feeling a connection to them
  • Playing the map! Huge huge huge deal; now if only they'd actually rebalance the game so it mattered as much as it could...
  • The graphics are modern, distinct, readable, and pretty. I much prefer bold, bright colors. I stare at real maps and the real world all the time, so I much prefer having the game be stylized
  • AIs that play differently. The agenda system is a great idea, though I wish diplomacy modifiers were a bit more hidden. Like just knowing 'huge negative' from missing agenda would be good, rather than -14. Just give me the ability to make the AIs at different difficulty levels so they can actually defeat each other and challenge me and I'll be thrilled
  • Keep it coming with the unique civs, and high number of unique aspects!

Top Bottom