Connecting Bodys of Water

aceymi

Chieftain
Has anyone tried connecting two close bodies of water with forts or citidals?
Building a city between them works.

I've ALWAYS wanted canals. Why not just let workers build them and make them:

A) Take a long time to build

B) Cost a lot of upkeep per tile of canal

My current game could use canals, before I could get a good handle on the land around me I settled 2 cities and found out they were both on the shore of a huge lake, not the actual ocean :mad: There was a spot where there was one tile between the ocean and the lake, so I was eventually able to bridge the gap and have a secure lake, but still. I had to wait forever before I could get a caravel out of the lake haha.

This is something this game desperately needs. Navigable rivers were a HUGE part of trade and warfare throughout the ages, and of course man has been digging canals for as long as he's been able...

Would this be remotely moddable? After all, cities allow for this behavior so it sounds like something in the code already exists for canal-like. Im not familia with how complex mods can be in civ v though.

I agree, but the only thing this could allow is for ships to go in and out, and maybe a harbor can be made in the city. We shouldn't be able to completely replace the functionality of a coastal city in a landlocked city; Plus canals should only be allowed to be a certain length (2/3 hexes?)

I agree with this idea. Far too many times I've been started on the "coast" only to explore it later and find out that I'm land locked. Just give them all bridges or something so that land units can still pass over them too.

I've tried (and failed) to mod this. I've been unable to have an improvement change a tile to be considered water or even receive fresh water bonus (tried making a desalinizaiton plant on desert/snow coast to make adjacent tiles fresh water for farms... didn't work).

My current game could use canals, before I could get a good handle on the land around me I settled 2 cities and found out they were both on the shore of a huge lake, not the actual ocean :mad:

I hate it when that happens, and it does happen. Canals sound like a good idea to me.

I think canals would allow Carriers and similar heavy naval units into the middle of an unsettled Pangaea.

A Battleship with a range and indirect fire promotion in the above scenario would be unreal and possibly unbalanced versus artillery, missiles, nukes, planes (set up/rebase), and maybe even rockets.

It would still be OP'd if canals were limited to a few tiles across between bodies of water.

However, if canals somehow restricted naval ranged or deployable combat capabilities, then...

I think canals would allow Carriers and similar heavy naval units into the middle of an unsettled Pangaea.

A Battleship with a range and indirect fire promotion in the above scenario would be unreal and possibly unbalanced versus artillery, missiles, nukes, planes (set up/rebase), and maybe even rockets.

It would still be OP'd if canals were limited to a few tiles across between bodies of water.

However, if canals somehow restricted naval ranged or deployable combat capabilities, then...

That's a legitimate tactic in the real world, I fail to see how it's OP here. Don't want someone sailing into the middle of your continent and unleashing hell in the forms of missles and bombers? Better put a ship there to make sure they don't.

I've always wanted canals as well. Sadly, forts and citadels do not work. If I got to decide what kind of tile improvements the canals would be, I would do the following:

- Enabled in reneissance era, perhaps in the architechture tech or maybe in medieval era on the engineering tech
- The maximum length of the canal would be 2 hexes at first. Later it would increase to 3. Perhaps a panama canal wonder would increase it by one, so the overall maximum would be 4 hexes.
- The canal tiles wouldn't yield anything, which would discourage people from doing a lot of canals (which would look horrible). Alternatively they could also cost perhaps 3 or 4 gpt to maintain. However, I wouldn't add both penalties since I feel that having a canal wouldn't be worth it if it was penaltized that much.
- The canals could connect cities which aren't coastal into the ocean so that they could be used for making ships or building coastal buildings (not wonders). Why? This was done for example in China. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canal_%28China%29

Make a Suez Canal world wonder that "turns selected hex into coast."

Once you figure out how to do that, you can make a future mod with "terraformers".

Top Bottom