1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Converting a Worldbuilder Save to a PY File?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by darthdodo, Dec 15, 2008.

1. darthdodo

darthdodo Chieftain

How do I convert a Worldbuilder save to a PY file?

2. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

what is a PY file?

3. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

A .py file is a python file. Python is the programming language used to build large parts of the game.

As for how to convert, Notepad++ opens a huge array of files, and can open .wbs and save as .py by simply using "Save As" and then selecting .py

Its also very good at XML editing; i use it all the time. I suggest you get it if you dont have it. Just google search it.

4. ruff_hi

duh - of course a py file is a python file. I claim a mental meltdown in that a wb file is just text describing the map and cannot be converted to python code. You can load up a wb file as a scenario but that is different.

5. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

You CAN convert the wbs into a py file, but im not sure why you wold want to.
    Hell, i converted it right now with an old file.

6. ruff_hi

sure - convert it to a py file all you like. I said you cannot convert it to python code.

7. darthdodo

darthdodo Chieftain

What I'm looking to do is to take maps such as Earth 18 Civs and such and then convert them to a PY file so that hopefully I can play around with it on the Custom Game menu, picking what civs I want to use and such.

8. deanej

deanej Deity

The custom scenario menu will allow you to do some of that stuff; I'm not sure how much it can do with civs, though, but the menu is available (some scenarios, such as the continent maps, don't have preassigned civs; not sure what it will do when civs are defined).